SDS100/SDS200: Need help with how to program 2 or 3 different favorites list on SDS-100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mongoosmike

Hopefully, you can change the file txt extension back to hpe and be able to view the favorites list of the upload file. The only compression program I have is rar and it didn't show on the allowable list to upload. I need some help with how to make several different favorites lists in Sentinel for my SDS-100, and then program each one into a quick-key position so I can listen to different areas as I drive around in the Bay Area. I have 3 different favorites list right now but they all show up in the same "tree" listing when I select each one using file~open on any particular favorite list. I also need some help with how to update the favorites list since I updated the database. I have changed a couple of things with the CHP listings and not sure if I update the favorites list it will update the new areas I opened up in the one of the lists. Oh I allso have not heard anything on the CHP Bronze frequencies, as I was listening the other night and when thy switched to that I lost listening contact. I didn't notice those in the favorites list, but it is a little confusing when trying to compare side by side with the database, opening different files. This is in California. Bronze - Base - Oakland (96) 42.120000 / Bronze - Extender – Alternate 769.681250 / Bronze – Extender – Primary 789-418750
Bronze – Mobile – Oakland (96) 42.400000
Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• Sn Mateo~C Costa~Alameda 11~4~22 (edited) - Copy - Copy.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

hvytrucker

HvyTrucker
There are ways to do exactly that... I came across that very same situation here in Philadelphia, PA. The Police and Fire along with every other county dept use the Project 25 Phase I system. Within that system, there are 3 sites Zone 1 Simulcast for Fire, Zone 2 Simulcast for Police & Broad Street Subway Zone for SEPTA. Within each of those 3 sites, there are the Talkgroups for individual Precincts & Zones.

I know most of you will laugh at this but until recently how I addressed switching between favorites was creating a single favorite for District 1 and then loading the entire simulcast site both Zone 1, Zone 2 & Subway Zone, and then doing that for each favorite. Yes, I know this was very inefficient but it solved my dilemma and also made the scanner work twice as hard and twice as slow loading... I did it this way because I could not grasp how to do it right.

Only when I started using Proscan was when I was able to see the breakdown of the systems, sites & talkgroups. So instead of simply selecting top-level favorites to enable & disable for systems with subgroups, you can program it like this:
Project 25 Phase I = press 1 then "E"
Police Simulcast Zone 2 = press 1.1 then "E"
South District = press 1.1.1 then "E"
Central District = press 1.1.2 then "E"
Fire Simulcast Zone 1 = press 1.2 then "E"
Fire South = press 1.2.1 "E"
Fire North = press 1.2.2 "E"

Sentinel software is easier to use normally but Proscan shows more details and explains more in my opinion.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest the method described in this video:

This was created by the late Paul Opitz, Uniden's Product Manager (UPMan).

You would repeat the process for each Favorites List you wish to create. After creating the Favorites Lists, edit your Profile and ensure Download and Monitor are both set to On for each Favorites List. (Quick Keys are set from the Favorites List editor).

The easiest way is to have each Favorites List assigned its own Favorites List Quick Key. For a beginner, I would recommend this. (Not necessarily most efficient, but easiest).

As noted above, the ultimate in efficiency is using the GPS. That way the scanner will turn "stuff" on (and off), based on where you are. Sort of like cruise control for scanning.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This is a video on how to create your own Favorites List (no appending, location control etc) with the information from the Radio Reference database:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The above is definitely a way of creating a Favorites List. I would encourage a new user to do the "Append from the Full Database" method until he or she feels very confident about Sentinel use, however.

The reason is this: There are many "little" settings like System Type (trunking only) or Location, that if not set properly can cause issues. You only get one shot at entering a trunked system type. If you goof it up, there is no way of going back to fix it - you have to delete the system and start all over again. It is easy to not add location information for Departments or sites, or enter it incorrectly. If you try using location control in that situation, the scanner will not behave like you want it to.

Again, if you are a "veteran" Favorites List creator, and won't forget the above issues, then creating a FL from scratch is an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.