New here

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I recommend the Whistler WS-1040 and Win500 to program it.

Does one need to pay 30 for that for it to work? Thought I read somewhere someone tried register one of Don Star's software progs could not get it done.

Is Win500 a place to go on my PC to program myself?
Win500 is software that goes on the pc to program the scanner.

Jill39

I just have to ask about something i heard on the scanner Last night. The feed i listen to has only broad casted FD, PD, and Ems they were all somewhat busy because of the weather (high winds) I didn't hear any unit numbers or departments but in between transmissions someone was giving another person directions on how to fold a sheet of paper not sure what the paper was, but it was specific and i couldn't have understood the instructions. On the last fold the person giving instructions said you have completed your task and that was it no more said about it. Does anyone know what I was hearing?

Jill39

Westover police, Granville police, Star City police and Mon. County Sheriff Dept all use the talkgroup 307 on WV SIRN. It is not encrypted.

The feed i listen to on broadcastify says it is on WV SIRN it does not list talk groups but does say ALL public safety in Monongalia County. I hear traffic from other agencies in the area but not the ones I ask about that you and others have told me are in TG 307. Can I assume that there are many talk groups in Monongalia County on WV SIRN and he is not broadcasting TG 307 and that what i do hear like Morgantown PD is in another TG that he is broadcasting? I ask because when i get my own scanner i want to know what to look for to get the programming i want. starting out Im hoping just to program myself by watching videos since for now i am only interested in about 7 agencies that may or may not be in 2 different talk groups.

tvfd700

Premium Subscriber
Monongalia County Public Safety - SIRN Digital Live Audio Feed

I'm assuming that is the feed you are listening to. Your best bet would be to message or e-mail the host of that feed and ask them.

These are the talkgroups on SIRN for Mon County, which can all be found on the database on this website.

Monongalia County (31) ( Law )
TG Description
307 Sheriff - Dispatch
323 Sheriff - Car-to-Car
324 Court Bailifs
330 Granville Police - Private
341 Private Tactical Ch. 1
343 Private Tactical Ch. 2
357 Sheriff - Special Events

Monongalia County (31) ( Fire )
TG Description
301 Fire - Dispatch
333 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 1
334 Blacksville VFD - Private
335 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 2
336 Brookhaven VFD - Private
337 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 3
338 Cassville VFD - Private
339 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 4
340 Cheat Lake VFD - Private
342 Clinton District VFD
344 Cool Springs VFD - Private
346 Granville VFD - Private
348 River Road VFD - Private
350 Star City VFD - Private
352 Triune-Halleck VFD - Private
353 Cool Springs VFD - Private
354 Wadestown VFD - Private
356 Westover VFD - Private
363 Volunteer Fire - Fireground

Monongalia County (31) ( EMS )
TG Description
305 EMS - Dispatch
315 EMS - Private
359 EMS - Special Events
361 EMS - Special Event Ch. 3

Monongalia County (31) ( County Government )
TG Description
349 Animal Control
351 Emergency Management
377 Maintenance Dept.
387 Mountain Lion Transit Authority

Monongalia County (31) ( Morgantown Police )
TG Description
309 Police - Dispatch
319 Police - Car-to-Car
347 Police - Ch. 2

Monongalia County (31) ( Morgantown Fire )
TG Description
303 Fire - Dispatch
314 Fire - Private

Monongalia County (31) ( Morgantown City Government )
TG Description
398 Morgantown Street Department

Jill39

The feed i listen to on broadcastify says it is on WV SIRN it does not list talk groups but does say ALL public safety in Monongalia County. I hear traffic from other agencies in the area but not the ones I ask about that you and others have told me are in TG 307. Can I assume that there are many talk groups in Monongalia County on WV SIRN and he is not broadcasting TG 307 and that what i do hear like Morgantown PD is in another TG that he is broadcasting? I ask because when i get my own scanner i want to know what to look for to get the programming i want. starting out Im hoping just to program myself by watching videos since for now i am only interested in about 7 agencies that may or may not be in 2 different talk groups.
Monongalia County Public Safety - SIRN Digital Live Audio Feed

I'm assuming that is the feed you are listening to. Your best bet would be to message or e-mail the host of that feed and ask them.

These are the talkgroups on SIRN for Mon County, which can all be found on the database on this website.

Monongalia County (31) ( Law )
TG Description
307 Sheriff - Dispatch
323 Sheriff - Car-to-Car
324 Court Bailifs
330 Granville Police - Private
341 Private Tactical Ch. 1
343 Private Tactical Ch. 2
357 Sheriff - Special Events

Monongalia County (31) ( Fire )
TG Description
301 Fire - Dispatch
333 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 1
334 Blacksville VFD - Private
335 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 2
336 Brookhaven VFD - Private
337 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 3
338 Cassville VFD - Private
339 Mutual - Tactical Ch. 4
340 Cheat Lake VFD - Private
342 Clinton District VFD
344 Cool Springs VFD - Private
346 Granville VFD - Private
348 River Road VFD - Private
350 Star City VFD - Private
352 Triune-Halleck VFD - Private
353 Cool Springs VFD - Private
354 Wadestown VFD - Private
356 Westover VFD - Private
363 Volunteer Fire - Fireground

Monongalia County (31) ( EMS )
TG Description
305 EMS - Dispatch
315 EMS - Private
359 EMS - Special Events
361 EMS - Special Event Ch. 3

Monongalia County (31) ( County Government )
TG Description
349 Animal Control
351 Emergency Management
377 Maintenance Dept.
387 Mountain Lion Transit Authority

Monongalia County (31) ( Morgantown Police )
TG Description
309 Police - Dispatch
319 Police - Car-to-Car
347 Police - Ch. 2

Monongalia County (31) ( Morgantown Fire )
TG Description
303 Fire - Dispatch
314 Fire - Private

Monongalia County (31) ( Morgantown City Government )
TG Description
398 Morgantown Street Department
That is the feed i listen to. I have tried to reach him twice but have not heard from him. If you have the energy and im not wearing you out, can you enlighten me on a couple more things when you have time? Does private mean that it cannot be monitored? What is the 31 after Mon county mean? And why didn't i see Westover in the list you provided with TG 307? Im not looking to become an Amateure Radio operator its that one night my street was crawling with police officers and i got nervous and curious. I told a friend about it and she told me about broadcastify and i got hooked. Im finding that the more answers i get leads to more questions. So Im going to look into a scanners for dummies they have one for everything else and i would also take a recommendation for a book on scanners if you have one. I did find a chart on here but it looks like I may have to sign up for premium membership first to get the info. Thanks again for the help you have already provided

Jill39

Because of price, my inexperience, and a recommendation I want to by a WS 1040 for 280.00 with cord and charger. Any thoughts on the purchase?

tvfd700

Premium Subscriber
Private, such as the Granville Police - Private TG, is most likely just the channel the Granville officers use for general chit chat and not the channel they are dispatched on. While I'm not from up that way, my guess is that the Sheriff's office and all small PDs are dispatched on TG 307. Again, I don't know how they function up there, but down this way, multiple counties operate that way. SO, SP, and municipal PDs will all operate on one channel for the county, with each having certain unit numbers that correspond to their department.

On the main Mon county page, Monongalia County, West Virginia (WV) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Westover has an analog frequency listed towards the bottom. They may not be operating on the SIRN system, or that may just be an old analog license they still have.

31 is just the county numbering on this list: WV SIRN: West Virginia Statewide Interoperable Radio Network Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia if you have not seen it, it is all of the known TGs on SIRN.

Book wise I don't know much that would relate these days. This website is the most in depth resource you will find.

Jill39

Private, such as the Granville Police - Private TG, is most likely just the channel the Granville officers use for general chit chat and not the channel they are dispatched on. While I'm not from up that way, my guess is that the Sheriff's office and all small PDs are dispatched on TG 307. Again, I don't know how they function up there, but down this way, multiple counties operate that way. SO, SP, and municipal PDs will all operate on one channel for the county, with each having certain unit numbers that correspond to their department.

On the main Mon county page, Monongalia County, West Virginia (WV) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Westover has an analog frequency listed towards the bottom. They may not be operating on the SIRN system, or that may just be an old analog license they still have.

31 is just the county numbering on this list: WV SIRN: West Virginia Statewide Interoperable Radio Network Trunking System, Statewide, West Virginia if you have not seen it, it is all of the known TGs on SIRN.

Book wise I don't know much that would relate these days. This website is the most in depth resource you will find.
I was able to see the chart you are talking about and did see the frequency for westover and others in the county. I bought a cheap scanner that said digital but was not. I programmed some of those frequencies in I didnt receive anything from westover but was able to hear 1 or 2 frequencies. Anyways Im planning on buying a WS 1040 this weekend and just playing around with it. If you have any thoughts on that scanner please let me know. From what i have gathered here that should get me started and work in the area.

Jill39

If it's encrypted, it won't pick up. It will either come in garbled or you will get a busy signal when the frequency is locked on.
If it's encrypted, it won't pick up. It will either come in garbled or you will get a busy signal when the frequency is locked on.

I don't know if you're aware or not, but there is a site where someone scrubs the FCC database and puts out digital frequencies for all counties in WV. You can try here and it will even allow you to paste a list to the clipboard where it can be imported into the ez scan software. You may have to tweak it some once it's pasted into ez scan, but it is accurate regarding frequencies as I have gotten some for my county off of there. The link is below. Good luck.

Thanks that clears some things up for me. The scanner im looking at now WS1040 will work for my area for what i want to listen to, if i understand correctly that scanner will cover WV SIRN P25 Phase1. The site you provided shows what agencies use DMR and NXDN, and the agencies i want to monitor are not listed which is a good thing for use of the WS1040

[

Jill39

Welcome to the RR forums. This question frequently comes up here: NO SCANNER can decode encrypted transmissions, period! With that said...
Westover PD shows analog conventional, no encryption
No DB listing for "Star City PD"
Granville only has a private talkgroup listed on WV SIRN (TGID-330) & it's "in the clear"
All Monongalia County Sheriff talkgroups show they're clear

Pro tip: Focus on the "mode" column per database table. Any talkgroup ID'ed as mode "DE" would be fully encrypted (can't be monitored). Only mode "D" talkgroups are "in the clear". Hope this helps
Do you have a tip for recognizing Simulcast?

Jill39

I just want to say thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to provide answers and information. I still have a long way to go but i feel like i have gained a lot of knowledge here in just a couple days the biggest experience being that there is more to buying a scanner then just knowing if a frequency is encrypted or not. I believe what you do with radios and scanners is a skilled craft and not just a hobby

tvfd700

Premium Subscriber
I was able to see the chart you are talking about and did see the frequency for westover and others in the county. I bought a cheap scanner that said digital but was not. I programmed some of those frequencies in I didnt receive anything from westover but was able to hear 1 or 2 frequencies. Anyways Im planning on buying a WS 1040 this weekend and just playing around with it. If you have any thoughts on that scanner please let me know. From what i have gathered here that should get me started and work in the area.

If Westover was using that analog frequency, the cheap scanner would be able to receive it. My guess is they are operating on TG 307 as well. I have no experience with a WS1040, so I can't comment on it.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Do you have a tip for recognizing Simulcast?
If the site itself as listed in the RR database doesn't contain the word "simulcast", click on the site's link & examine the map for a cluster of sites, it'll look similar to what's illustrated below (a simulcast system near me) To double-check & make absolutely sure. click the FCC callsign link(s) and examine the assigned frequencies (column 2) as relative to each site location (column 1), they should be identical. Look at the first frequency of Location #1, it should match the first frequency of locations #2, #3, etc. Same with all other listed frequencies, they should all be the same at each location
1676124966636.png1676125111152.png

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
In my area (Phoenix, AZ), Fire and EMS also broadcast dispatch on an analog VHF channel and "patch" that channel into many of the digital (P25) systems.
So i am able to use an "old" analog scanner to monitor dispatch, and use the digital scanner for the talk groups. I also put all of my analog dispatch frequencies into their own favorite list in the digital scanner so I can activate/ deactivate those if I'm away from the Shack and monitoring the scanner remotely.
My location also patches a bunch of Fire Tac conventional channels to a "Deck" on the digital system, BUT, those patched channels are encrypted, so you have to be nearby to catch the conventional frequencies.
Every system is configured to is own needs--keep that in mind when you hear something that sounds different than yours!