New here

tvengr

Well Known Member
Whistler files have a CDAT name. They are already zipped and can be attached as is. If you have your programming in TRX-1 EZ Scan, go to the File tab and click on Save Current Configuration to Archive. It should show being in the Documents folder. You can change the CDAT file name to a name you can easily remember and click on Save. Click on Attach files in your next post and Open the file you just saved.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I got your file. I don't see anything wrong with the programming. I suspect you did something on the scanner. I suggest that you program the scanner again. Connect your computer to your scanner with the scanner off. Go to the Scanner/SD Card tab and click on Copy Configuration to Scanner Memory/SD Card. My best guess is that you may have turned off Scan Set 1 using the scanner menus. That scan set contains all of the scan lists. If turned off, your scanner cannot receive anything. You may also have turn off scan list 1 with the keypad. Most of your talkgroups are on scan list 1. After programming, turn the squelch knob fully counterclockwise and slowly turn it up until the noise just disappears.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
Here is how you may have turned off scan lists using the keypad:

While scanning, pressing 1 thru 200 will toggle the selected scanlist on or off. Each button must be pressed within 2 seconds of the last. If more than 1 scanlist will be toggled on or off, press the decimal once as a separator. Pressing the decimal twice will end the sequence. Example: If you wish to toggle scanlist 9 you press 9 If you wish to toggle scanlist 9, 11, and 22 simply press the following 9 . 11 . 22 or 9 . 11 . 22 . or 9 . 11 . 22 ..

Jill39

thank you for your time, im going to read a few more times till i understand. earlier the batteries went dead after replacing i had the same problem with distortion and the screen changing from Ems, Police, fire, etc. to scan lists.

tvengr

Well Known Member
i had the same problem with distortion and the screen changing from Ems, Police, fire, etc. to scan lists.
Scan lists 151 and above will change from service types to regular scan lists if you go to the General Settings tab in EZ Scan and change Set Location to Off (Lower right corner of page).

Jill39

Scan lists 151 and above will change from service types to regular scan lists if you go to the General Settings tab in EZ Scan and change Set Location to Off (Lower right corner of page).
I have to figure this out. i only have 1 scan list 001 . but i have a feeling your talking about something different.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Your file shows you are using scan lists 1, 2, 152, 153, 154, and 159. Scan lists 1, 151, 152, 153, 154, and 159 are enabled in the file. With just scan list 1 enabled, you should receive all of the talkgroups except WVU PD and WVDnr. Scan list 152 needs to be enabled to receive WVU PD and WVDnr. Scan lists 152, 153, 154, and 159 need to be enabled to receive all of the conventional frequencies. You can change the scan list numbers for each talkgroup and conventional frequency.

Jill39

Your file shows you are using scan lists 1, 2, 152, 153, 154, and 159. Scan lists 1, 151, 152, 153, 154, and 159 are enabled in the file. With just scan list 1 enabled, you should receive all of the talkgroups except WVU PD and WVDnr. Scan list 152 needs to be enabled to receive WVU PD and WVDnr. Scan lists 152, 153, 154, and 159 need to be enabled to receive all of the conventional frequencies. You can change the scan list numbers for each talkgroup and conventional frequency.
Wow this is so far over my head i dont know if i will ever understand this. I will say i am listening to everything i want. I dont hear WvDnr i didnt choose one because i didnt Know the unit for my area. And i am hearing some version of WVU police 700 units even though i did uncheck the channel. I guess i am lucky that i got as far as i did with EZ scan. For now i would be happy to know how to recover what i have, if i accidently push a key on the pad without having to reformat and transfer from the library. is there away to lock in what i have that wont change anything if i accidently hit a key?

tvengr

Well Known Member
You can press Fn and then the power button to lock the keypad. Do the same to unlock the keypad. Don't feel discouraged. The more you work with the scanner, the easier it becomes. I have been programming scanners all of my life. It wasn't very easy when I first started. If you would like, I can create a file with what you want to monitor with the scan lists all labelled for easy access to select what you want.. By the way, I don't even have a TRX-1. I only have a WS1080 but they all work the same.

Jill39

You can press Fn and then the power button to lock the keypad. Do the same to unlock the keypad. Don't feel discouraged. The more you work with the scanner, the easier it becomes. I have been programming scanners all of my life. It wasn't very easy when I first started. If you would like, I can create a file with what you want to monitor with the scan lists all labelled for easy access to select what you want.. By the way, I don't even have a TRX-1. I only have a WS1080 but they all work the same.
Thanks for all the help. I just cant make sense of the book, i was hoping to learn little by little i thought i would get a few channels going and then the weather . but i am good with the file i have for now. So i even have a question for your instructions. Do i press Fn then the power button before or after i push power button to turn on the scanner? and if that instruction is in the book what page is it on?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Turn the scanner on first. The scanner needs to be on to lock the keypad. Page 18 - Fn + Power = Key board Lock. Don't feel bad! I hate the way most manuals are written. There is nothing like hands-on experience and trial and error (mostly the latter). You will make mistakes and learn from them. I've made more mistakes than most anyone. You will never catch up to me. You can also try this manual: Easier to Read Whistler WS1080/1088 Handheld Scanner and Software Manual Once you understand the basics of programming, it becomes very easy. Larger systems just mean that you have more frequencies, talkgroups, sites, and scan lists than smaller systems. It's even more fun when you program about every model of scanner there is. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Jill39

I am really starting to wonder if something is wrong with this scanner. last night after another format and transfer everything once again was fine. being careful not to touch any keys except power i turned the scanner off for the evening. tonight i turned the scanner on and i see that it is scanning but i am not hearing anything. I turned on a scanner feed on my pc to compare because i have some of the same channels and i can hear plenty of traffic on the feed.

Jill39

Turn the scanner on first. The scanner needs to be on to lock the keypad. Page 18 - Fn + Power = Key board Lock. Don't feel bad! I hate the way most manuals are written. There is nothing like hands-on experience and trial and error (mostly the latter). You will make mistakes and learn from them. I've made more mistakes than most anyone. You will never catch up to me. You can also try this manual: Easier to Read Whistler WS1080/1088 Handheld Scanner and Software Manual Once you understand the basics of programming, it becomes very easy. Larger systems just mean that you have more frequencies, talkgroups, sites, and scan lists than smaller systems. It's even more fun when you program about every model of scanner there is. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
thanks i will look at the other manual and will keep reading this one til it sinks in

tvengr

Well Known Member
To clear up some of your misunderstanding earlier, click on the General Settings tab in EZ Scan. You can scroll down the list of scan lists to see which ones are enabled. Scan lists 151 and above are used to sort service types when you download from the library. Click on the Trunked Radio Systems tab. Click on the ID number for the West Virginia St Project25 (P25) system (Near top of page). Under Trunked System Site Information, click on Site Details. The sites for that system will be displayed. If you click on Site No. for each site, the frequencies for that site will be displayed if the Site Frequencies tab to the right is selected. Click on the Site Options tab. If the site is using all 800 MHz frequencies, Trunking Tables Type can be set to Standard. If a site uses anything other than all 800 MHz frequencies, Trunking Tables Type must be set to Auto Fill. When set to Auto Fill, the trunking tables are automatically loaded from the control channel. Click on the Talkgroup Details tab. You will see a list of all of the talkgroups affiliated with the system selected. If the EZ Scan software is not filling the entire screen, click on the Restore icon at the upper right corner of the page to restore up to full screen. You need a full screen display to be able to see the scan lists in the rightmost column of the talkgroups. If the scan lists are not all in numerical order, click on the Scanlists header at the top of the column. Clicking on Scanlists will alternately arrange the scan list numbers from lowest to highest and highest to lowest order. You will now be able to see the scan lists that each talkgroup is assigned to. That talkgroup will be received if any of the assigned scan lists are enabled. If you click on the Conventional Frequencies tab, you will be able to see all of the conventional frequencies and the scan lists they are assigned to. I hope this gives you a better understanding of how to use the EZ Scan software. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Jill39

thanks that will take some time to sink in. Its hard for me to move forward until i figure out why i have to transfer over again and again after the scanner has been off for awhile. I did read that you not only have to power off (which i do) but you also have to remove the batteries before removing the card. And i do safely remove the card from the pc.

tvengr

Well Known Member
thanks that will take some time to sink in. Its hard for me to move forward until i figure out why i have to transfer over again and again after the scanner has been off for awhile.
The most common problem with scanners is bad or corrupted SD cards. I would try a new card to see that that solves the problem. If the scanner is new and in warranty, I would contact Whistler tech support and notify them of your problem. It shouldn't be doing that.