New Icom digital dual bander

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
...i too will wait, let the mad rush of buying, and the price too, calm down a smidgen...
And, give it time for the inevitable bugs to be worked out. Remember the old software rule...don't buy the x.0 version of anything. Of course, if nobody bought the 1.0 version, the bugs never would get worked out.

N8OHU

To me the price says OUCH! I'd love to have this radio, but I'm not paying that price for a portable radio. I thought the price I paid for my IC-80AD was on the high end of what I was willing to pay. I never had a problem with paying $200-400 for a portable but $600+ is out of my range. The way portable radios are selling now nobody is willing to pay for quality. I was trying to sell a solid 8 year old Kenwood dual band for a friend and nobody wanted it. The $150 price tag for a full duplex dual band with drop in quick charger didn't even get a look. Had I put a $65 throw away radio on the table it would have been gone before the doors opened.

Jon

To tell you the truth, I would much rather pay the asking price for the ID-51A than a similar price for a Single Band commercial product like MotoTRBO/DMR or IDAS/Nexedge. The level of quality may not be the same, as some will point out, but to me a VFO and TWO bands trumps any of the features that may be liked in the commercial stuff.

dmaria

To tell you the truth, I would much rather pay the asking price for the ID-51A than a similar price for a Single Band commercial product like MotoTRBO/DMR or IDAS/Nexedge. The level of quality may not be the same, as some will point out, but to me a VFO and TWO bands trumps any of the features that may be liked in the commercial stuff.

I was having similar thoughts. I do like the demos I have seen with the MotoTRBO repeaters and radios I have seen, but like you, I won't be investing in another single band radio. I already own an Icom IDAS UHF handheld (our club has the only repeater within a 3 hour drive) and it sees no digital use at all. The only saving grace with the Icom IDAS repeater is that it will do analog also.

If a MotoTRBO and/or P25 repeater were available in the area, I am sure I would own both types (have to keep the mind occupied). As it is, I will enjoy the challenges of D-Star on my IC-92 and my DVAP.

Dave
K9DPM

KA0BBQ

I received my ICOM ID-51A today. WOW what a radio maxed with features. So far the only thing I don't like is the TX Audio. It sounds muffled because of the membrane which covers the microphone. One guy locally has already removed a small amount of the membrane designed to provide it's under water submersion rating. He is confident it won't effect the splash protection of the radio... he just won't be holding it 3 feet under water. It improved his audio 100%and sounds crystal clear afterwards. Changing the DV Settings /Tone Control to cut bass and boost treble is an improvement but not 100%.

The ICOM programming software leaves a little to be desired since it won't allow copy paste from XCEL or other ICOM software. You can copy paste within the program however. Guess I'll have to wait for Rod (RTSystems) across town to develope the awesome software he writes for the ID-51A.

I am really surprised how fast I'm learning the keys and programming from the keyboard isn't to terrible either. The menu's are rather intuitive once you understand the Japanese flow process. You still have to go to multiple menu locations to perform settings like for the GPS. Even on full power (5 watts) it never seemed to get uncomfortable in my hand like the IC-92AD. It would flat burn your hand! OH... I purchased the neoprine rubber case which hugs the radio just like the cell phone pt cases.

The radio has awesome logging features, like GPS trace logging exportable to mapping software, TX/RX voice recording, RX History which includes gateway/GPS/UR CALL/RPT2/Module/Reflector/Date Time Stamp ... lets say someone just keys up and sends a Gateway Unlink command... its logged with all the user information. The quality of the display is supurb.

RATING: 9 out of 10 ... have to knock off for the TX Audio

Barry
KA0BBQ /ID51
Colorado D*STAR W0CDS B and or REF030C

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
And, give it time for the inevitable bugs to be worked out. Remember the old software rule...don't buy the x.0 version of anything. Of course, if nobody bought the 1.0 version, the bugs never would get worked out.

So true, so true :D :). But, you`d be suprised how many folks will rush out there and buy a 51A really fast, bugs or no bugs, and start grousing when something funky happens with their new radio. As i said, i`ll wait till the big "inrush" is over and bugs are squashed :), then i`ll think on snagging one. N9NRA

dmaria

I received my ICOM ID-51A today. WOW what a radio maxed with features. So far the only thing I don't like is the TX Audio. It sounds muffled because of the membrane which covers the microphone. One guy locally has already removed a small amount of the membrane designed to provide it's under water submersion rating. He is confident it won't effect the splash protection of the radio... he just won't be holding it 3 feet under water. It improved his audio 100%and sounds crystal clear afterwards. Changing the DV Settings /Tone Control to cut bass and boost treble is an improvement but not 100%.

The ICOM programming software leaves a little to be desired since it won't allow copy paste from XCEL or other ICOM software. You can copy paste within the program however. Guess I'll have to wait for Rod (RTSystems) across town to develope the awesome software he writes for the ID-51A.

I am really surprised how fast I'm learning the keys and programming from the keyboard isn't to terrible either. The menu's are rather intuitive once you understand the Japanese flow process. You still have to go to multiple menu locations to perform settings like for the GPS. Even on full power (5 watts) it never seemed to get uncomfortable in my hand like the IC-92AD. It would flat burn your hand! OH... I purchased the neoprine rubber case which hugs the radio just like the cell phone pt cases.

The radio has awesome logging features, like GPS trace logging exportable to mapping software, TX/RX voice recording, RX History which includes gateway/GPS/UR CALL/RPT2/Module/Reflector/Date Time Stamp ... lets say someone just keys up and sends a Gateway Unlink command... its logged with all the user information. The quality of the display is supurb.

RATING: 9 out of 10 ... have to knock off for the TX Audio

Barry
KA0BBQ /ID51

Thanks Barry,

Perhaps I could catch you on the W0CDS repeater sometime and get an idea of what the audio sounds like. I'll try not to let my jealousy get in the way of my objective opinion :) . Have you tried exporting and importing to a csv file with the Icom software?

Dave
K9DPM

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I got my call today that my reservation was ready to be filled. So I will be picking up my radio tomorrow (Saturday) morning.

How much are people paying for new MotoTurbo commercial radios they can't even program themselves without spending hundreds more? Can we say $1000 or more? It's relative, you get what you pay for... if you want a cheap chineese radio go buy one... but don't expect to enjoy all that D-STAR offers out of the box.

your posts are so hilarious.
DMR radios are available for much less than Icom wants you to pay for the ID-51, or the 92AD for that matter. Not to mention, can you buy a D-star enabled mobile for less than $400 new with a warranty? Not in this lifetime.

Vertex Standard rolled out their Everge series of portables and mobiles that have street prices in the $300 range. So what, you got to buy your programming cables and software, Icom made everyone do this too with D-star.

Does Icom give you a 3 year parts and labor warranty? No.
Does ANYONE ELSE OTHER THAN ICOM sell a commercially available D-star transceiver? No.

(with DMR, you have Moto, Hytera, Harris, Vertex Standard and Tait to choose from)

If you paid a grand for an XPR you got ripped off. New dealers around here sell them for $500, about what your ID-xxx radios sell for. So what, their single band. You can only talk on one band at a time anyway. And around here, the digital repeaters (D-star included) are all on UHF anyway.

You love your D-star, good for you. But please stop posting this non-sense about TRBO/DMR, because you only show how little you know about the technology, the equipment, and the networks themselves. It's really unseemly.

and before you start pushing my buttons, I've got all major digital voice formats in my cache: P25 phase I, D-star and DMR- and out of all them- I prefer the audio quality, performance and user friendliness of DMR. I just picked up an ID-31A, the UHF "little brother" to the ID-51. My overall impressions:

-Okay radio, the UI has certainly improved over the archaic one on the 91/92AD.
-Audio quality is decent, but the AF output, typical on ham HT's, is low. Distorts if you turn it up past about 25. Why can't we have an HT with 500mw output? Even the cheap Chicom radios do this on $50 radios.
-Battery life has improved over previous D-star HT's. Charges up pretty quick.
-Way to go Icom for the micro SD card slot, and way to go for including the programming software on a CD
-It is easier to manage DV repeater/call lists. Took me a second to grasp the concept.
-I like the display. I really do. Best one short of a color display on the, dare I say, XPR7550.
-Appears they've FINALLY added squelch tail elimination on analog. Long time coming!

Would be nice if it had Bluetooth, or a standard micro USB jack for programming/control. I see Icom insists on holding onto their proprietary CI-V standard versus moving into the 21st century. Their doing it on their LMR radios.

Will I get the ID-51 based on the experience with the ID-31? eh...not for $600. I can get TWO new Everge DMR mobiles for that price. :D

w2jsb

I received my ICOM ID-51A today.

Barry
KA0BBQ /ID51

Did you get it from HRO? If so when did you put in your reservation? Was hoping to get some clarity on when I might be able to get one.

Jeremy
w2jsb

KA0BBQ

It was about 2 weeks ago that I put in a reservation. When you get the radio the first thing you want to do is change the tone settings: Cut Base RX TX and Boost Treble and back off the Internal Mic gain. Otherwise your audio will sound muffled.

dmaria

It was about 2 weeks ago that I put in a reservation. When you get the radio the first thing you want to do is change the tone settings: Cut Base RX TX and Boost Treble and back off the Internal Mic gain. Otherwise your audio will sound muffled.

I made my reservation on Dec 23rd, and I didn't get one one. Reserved doesn't mean reserved........

w2jsb

I got notice from HRO today that it should be shipping by Wednesday, which means, by any luck, I'll be able to play with it all next weekend.

dmaria

I got notice from HRO today that it should be shipping by Wednesday, which means, by any luck, I'll be able to play with it all next weekend.

Got a call today. It will be shipping next week.

Dave
K9DPM

Status
Not open for further replies.