New iPhone Scanning App

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukekb

I just released an iPhone App that lets you listen to all the radio traffic on the DC Fire & EMS radio network. My system archives everything, so you can quickly search for and replay older calls.

It is available for free on the App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scan-dc/id875880855?mt=8

Feedback would be really helpful!

It looks like DCFD will eventually be moving off of the Project 16. Once they switch to P25 I will have to retool my system... assuming things don't get encrypted.

dtscho

Database Admin
Thanks for the app - it is outstanding! I can't think of much I'd change - maybe add a way to filter by individual talkgroup, instead of just talkgroup category?

Dave

beastieboy101

I just released an iPhone App that lets you listen to all the radio traffic on the DC Fire & EMS radio network. My system archives everything, so you can quickly search for and replay older calls.

It is available for free on the App Store:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/scan-dc/id875880855?mt=8

Feedback would be really helpful!

It looks like DCFD will eventually be moving off of the Project 16. Once they switch to P25 I will have to retool my system... assuming things don't get encrypted.

Ha. This certainly won't speed up DCFD going encrypted.

I guess you are the owner of openmhz.com. It is a great project and this is a cool app but it is just giving the DCFD more ammo to increase the encryption in DC. Enjoy it while you can.

lukekb

I know - this is probably just helping their argument. I am hoping it all stays under the radar enough to go unnoticed. Or they come up with a more enlightened policy that sees monitoring as transparency.

Yep - I am also built openmhz.com - both that and this app use the same data.
Nothing lasts forever I guess!

blueonesparky

Premium Subscriber
An idea that may help back them off from their "gotta get encrypted" plans might be to place a randomized delay on outbound traffic from the server. Nothing too dramatic maybe a random delay of 3-10 minutes. That way any really sensitive tactical stuff that a person with nefarious purposes may intercept will have lost some of its tactical value and the uncertainty of exactly when that message was sent will hinder action by the listener... however it is near enough to real time to still be useful to the general citizen or enthusiast who just wants to know what is going in in their community. They want to know where the sirens are going... they may not care if they have to wait 5 minutes for the radio to catch up with the real world. In some cases they may like the fact that they have time to find and open the app and not miss anything. I have a feeling that if Radio Reference would have done something like that back in April 2013 the threat to officer safety would have been diminished greatly. Just a thought.

lukekb

That is a great idea. I can pretty easily make the switch... Does anyone have a contact at DCFD to see if this would matter to them? If it would make a difference, I can go try and switch things around.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
I have a contact. He is on this board and monitors this forum. It will not matter. It is coming from the Mayor not the DCFD. Want to change it, call the Mayor and the Police Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.