New Jersey Interoperability Communication System (NJICS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I for one appreciate any member who is willing to put time and effort into finding correct info to help others in the NJ Forum/Database.

Thanks, and keep up the good work! :D

I second Steve's sentiments. Great job, GM, in definitively finding each site. It doesn't take fancy computer software, just a little creativity and dedication. ;)

mdragon

Premium Subscriber
But while we are on this subject, is the West Orange Site (#001 or 101) actually broadcast in West Orange, or is it the Montclair site (since they are so close together, and I don't see a listing for West Orange in the FCC database, only for Montclair)?

While I can't speak definitively they have referred to both the "West Orange Site" as well as stating that they are physically "in West Orange" when working on the site. I will say though that my antenna-less PSR-500 does not pick up any signal from Site 001/101 from my home in West Orange, though I also don't pick anything up from the West Orange system either. It looks like I'm about 2.5 miles from the tower as the crow flies, so that probably has something to do with it.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Premium Subscriber
As far as the "Ramapo" site goes, it is actually Ringwood, but is next to Ramapo Mtn. State Forest

I was getting full bars on 287 at Skyline Drive, so I'd have to say it's the Ringwood site as well (up on Ramapo Mountain).

But while we are on this subject, is the West Orange Site (#001 or 101) actually broadcast in West Orange, or is it the Montclair site (since they are so close together, and I don't see a listing for West Orange in the FCC database, only for Montclair)?

Did you try Eagle Rock? I know the County and some Fed stuff is up on the Sheriff's tower. This could be the "West Orange" site they are referring to.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Since when is there a jurisdiction named "Ramapo" in NJ? Ramapo is a town in Rockland County, not Passaic County. The site really should be listed as "Ringwood", as GM correctly pointed out.

NJSP refers all of their documentation to this site as Ramapo; unless someone can provide more detail accounts of this site via GPS coordinates?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I don't have access to any of the fancy computer programs, nor do I have an interest in obtaining them. :( All I'm able to do is to drive to each of the State Police Tower sites, as listed in the FCC database and the IR sites listed on the database page, and when I get within a quarter-mile of the tower, I take the antenna off of my PSR 500, and then get the signal strength as 4-6 bars to confirm the site # and freq. control channel. I figure that by nailing down the site locations with the freq. displayed at the time, those with the proper "toys" and decoder programs can pull that info from the towers at a greater range and post it up to the database and forums. :) As I have more time off this month, I will visit the other sites thoughout the state, and post my results for others to cross-verify. I just hope that my info benefits the rest of the scanning community to helping map out the TRS... ;)

As far as the "Ramapo" site goes, it is actually Ringwood, but is next to Ramapo Mtn. State Forest, and so when I was originally driving around, I listed that as possibly being on the same tower location as the DEP Channel 1 & 3 VHF Ramapo Repeater (of which I still can't find the FCC license for). I can also state an inaccuracy in that the "Netcong" 700 MHz site is actually Roxbury, but is located at the Netcong State Police barracks. (My error for listing it that way). As I go on to list the site numbers I find at the towers, I will use the FCC designated location to clarify any confusion.

The site names are established as they are referred to by the state radio personnel and the state of NJ documentation. While some of these site may have conflicting names; you'll notice that all of the GPS coordinate for these sites are being updated in the database to maintain their actual locations. These sites are not just being added blindly; thus the reason I continue to ask for user reports along with GPS coordinates in order to cross-reference the state tower lists, FCC database, etc.

This is a new system and it will take some time to work out all the details, kinks, etc. Any information submitted by users is considered and appreciated, regardless of your methods, then we sift through it for accuracy and make changes as required. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to PM me directly.

Keep up the good work and thanks for the database submissions.

mdragon

Premium Subscriber
Did you try Eagle Rock? I know the County and some Fed stuff is up on the Sheriff's tower. This could be the "West Orange" site they are referring to.

I did the no antenna trick while driving yesterday and site 101 is definitely the tower in West Orange.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Some more results listed for verification and program analysis:

770.94375 S003 N393 Bordentown, Millstone, Toms River, and Warren Grove sites (Yes, you read that correctly - all four sites have the same control channel freq., NAC, and site numbers)
774.56875 S005 N395 Atlantic City, Mullica, and Woodbine sites
769.69375 S004 N394 Berlin, Pilesgrove sites confirmed. Camden may be on this set as well, but for given reasons, I didn't venture into the City of Camden. But the signal strength was 99% on the NJTP in the area between Interchange 3 & 4).
770.68125 S036 N390 This one started out strong in the Interchange 7A area, but quickly faded. I'm guessing it may be in the West Trenton area, as listed in the database; however, when I was at The Rock the other day, only the IR site was strong there, with no 700 MHz signal really strong in that area at the time. Perhaps this site may be a "fill-in" somewhere along the Delaware River?

More to report as I find them... :)

Highpockets

Some more results listed for verification and program analysis:

770.94375 S003 N393 Bordentown, Millstone, Toms River, and Warren Grove sites (Yes, you read that correctly - all four sites have the same control channel freq., NAC, and site numbers)
774.56875 S005 N395 Atlantic City, Mullica, and Woodbine sites
769.69375 S004 N394 Berlin, Pilesgrove sites confirmed. Camden may be on this set as well, but for given reasons, I didn't venture into the City of Camden. But the signal strength was 99% on the NJTP in the area between Interchange 3 & 4).
770.68125 S036 N390 This one started out strong in the Interchange 7A area, but quickly faded. I'm guessing it may be in the West Trenton area, as listed in the database; however, when I was at The Rock the other day, only the IR site was strong there, with no 700 MHz signal really strong in that area at the time. Perhaps this site may be a "fill-in" somewhere along the Delaware River?

More to report as I find them... :)

Thanks, I kept saying the signal (770.94375) I was getting in Toms River couldn't be Bordentown, that info you just gave explains it. :D

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, I kept saying the signal (770.94375) I was getting in Toms River couldn't be Bordentown, that info you just gave explains it. :D

If you had looked at the site informations details, you would have seen these details days ago as remote sites are in many places for the main simulcast systems such as Berlin, Bordentown, West Orange, and Atlantic City. Just saying...

:)

Highpockets

If you had looked at the site informations details, you would have seen these details days ago as remote sites are in many places for the main simulcast systems such as Berlin, Bordentown, West Orange, and Atlantic City. Just saying...

You lost me here. Are you saying TR is not a main simulcast site. Where would I have seen this info you say I should have seen days ago.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Oh ok, now I see where the remote site locators are listed. It's in the database under the site name. Once you click on the site name and scroll down, it's listed there. I also didn't know about this, but now I know for future reference... :)

Highpockets

Oh ok, now I see where the remote site locators are listed. It's in the database under the site name. Once you click on the site name and scroll down, it's listed there. I also didn't know about this, but now I know for future reference... :)

Thanks, I didn't look at that either, a link would have kept me out of the dark. I was lost there for a while. I haven't gotten into this system completely, not much on it to get real involved. I will soon, I'm working on something else right now, but, I guess I'll have to make time. Once again, Thanks!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

You lost me here. Are you saying TR is not a main simulcast site. Where would I have seen this info you say I should have seen days ago.

If you go to the Site Details page (by clicking on the Site Name on the TRS page), you'll see in the Site Notes details about any remotes associated with the main site.

Site-101 (West Orange) Site Details (New Jersey Public Safety Interoperability Communications (PSIC) Network)

Site Notes: Remotes located in Rikers Hill, Essex Courthouse, Garrett Mountain, Johnson Drive, Jersey City

Highpockets

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
I never thought to look there, I have in the past for the NJSP, but I didn't think much info would be there at this stage, so I guess I just overlooked it. Lesson learned! :D Thanks!

:):lol::eek: I try to make sure I update all the information and be as detailed as possible :eek::lol::)

N2ICV

Premium Subscriber
Jerry
Can you please break up the DOT TG's into North, Central, and South groups ? Just like the NJSP.
I have it set that way on my Proscan, but when you keep updating I have to add them by hand to the groups.
I like to upload from the site.

Last edited:

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Jerry
Can you please break up the DOT TG's into North, Central, and South groups ? Just like the NJSP.
I have it set that way on my Proscan, but when you keep updating I have to add them by hand to the groups.
I like to upload from the site.

I'll take a look to see how we can organize it better; this was just throw together for the initial buildout and the intent was always to better organize it as the system grew and accuracy of reports increased. Thanks for the suggestion Mike...

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Jerry
Thanks for your time that you put into this.
Has anyone logged any TDMA-2 TG's? And can you tag them as TDMA-2 or FDMA?

Mike, several have been logged but they have NOT been listed in the database as they are simply testing groups and cannot be monitored by any current scanner model aside from the PSR-800. They have been left out of the database for the time being as to not confuse the issue with none PSR-800 owners. If you have a "WILDCARD" assigned; you'll hear them and you'll know when you're hearing them too!

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
I have PSR-800 and Pro96Com and from Site 101 I have not logged any TDMA talkgroups so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.