Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I've heard rumors of a $1,000 MSRP on this radio. That's nothing compared to public safety but for hams that's pretty pricey. They won't typically spend that much on a radio that will give them 10-15 years of service...but will buy a new iPhone every two to three years.

Same subsegment of the population that think a $14 radio is the greatest thing since sliced hotcakes.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
I own a Yaesu FT3 and the APRS implementation is an absolute disgrace. Compared to a Yaesu VX-8 or a TH-D74 the FT3 receiver barely works, missing most of the frames. I've been told that the FT5 is similar in that regard.
I have both the TH-D72 and the FT5DR; the latter pulls in APRS packets nonstop. I'm going to run a side by side test.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Same subsegment of the population that think a $14 radio is the greatest thing since sliced hotcakes.

I would tend to agree, assuming Kenwood does a FPP capable radio of 30-3000 MHz / transmit and receive. The number of people who are just sucked into the rather dumb idea of being able to transmit on the local FD/EMS/LE and Fed frequencies is large and the illegal allure of a badly engineered, poorly manufactured, and all around substandard radio is just irresistible 'fools gold' to them.

Kenwood won't do it and thus, the social subset of the CCP radio is likely to be significantly larger than people like me who are willing buy a new radio that covers several bands at a price point less than Mother M's surplus.

Then again, let's not rule out those who must have, at any cost, a new APX8000HXE with tritium illuminated controls, quantum encryption, and is IR emissions compliant. The Thurston Howell III's of the whacker set.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I would tend to agree, assuming Kenwood does a FPP capable radio of 30-3000 MHz / transmit and receive. The number of people who are just sucked into the rather dumb idea of being able to transmit on the local FD/EMS/LE and Fed frequencies is large and the illegal allure of a badly engineered, poorly manufactured, and all around substandard radio is just irresistible 'fools gold' to them.

Kenwood won't do it and thus, the social subset of the CCP radio is likely to be significantly larger than people like me who are willing buy a new radio that covers several bands at a price point less than Mother M's surplus.

Then again, let's not rule out those who must have, at any cost, a new APX8000HXE with tritium illuminated controls, quantum encryption, and is IR emissions compliant. The Thurston Howell III's of the whacker set.

I mean, FPP is an option on the VP8000. While it's not 30 MHz to 3 GHz...it does do VHF, UHF, 7/800 MHz and 2.4 GHz.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
While it's not 30 MHz to 3 GHz...it does do VHF, UHF, 7/800 MHz and 2.4 GHz.
If the TH-D75 has the same specs as the TH-D74, it will receive 0.1 to 524 MHz and transmit on 144-148, 222-225, and 430-450 MHz. Oh, since it will have Bluetooth, throw in receive and transmit on 2.4 GHz. ;)

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ Say it, say 'ENCRYPTION'
Yes, but it's built to a high standard with a price to match, which is a turnoff to stingy hams. That one can replace a half-dozen other radios isn't a consideration.
It seems that modern hams only consideration is price. The closer it is to zero, the better. This is also the same subsection of hams that won't buy 'made in China'.

It doesn't matter that the cheap radios are absolute garbage. The closer tye price is to zero, the better the 'deal' is.

borjam

I ran a test for 15 minutes. Both HTs received and decoded exactly the same number of APRS packets.
Well, that's curious. I ran another comparison with three HTs (VX-8, FT3DE and TH-D64) and the FT3DE was clearly behind. I thought mine was defective until I saw a video showing something similar.

Maybe a digipeater in my area has poorly adjusted modulation and both the VX-8 and TH-D64 are better in that case?

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Just to reiterate...I used the FT5. I believe you when you said the FT3 was behind. You also mentioned that you heard the FT5 inherited that deficiency and my testing shows that's not the case. Hope this helps.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Did the TH-D75 earn FCC certification approval yet?

I fail to see the point of advertising a transceiver that can't be legally sold in the US, but dealers are taking 'paid reservations' for them at some unknown date.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

I fail to see the point of advertising a transceiver that can't be legally sold in the US, but dealers are taking 'paid reservations' for them at some unknown date.

I don't know, but on these radios the FCC certification is for Part 15 and only on the "scanning receiver". It's not a difficult test to pass, just prove that it won't receive on the cellular bands and doesn't spew out noise, and it's good. No type acceptance on the transmitter...

AK9R

Super Moderator
As far as I know, no.

As you say, some dealers are taking money from prospective customers to reserve their spot in "line". Presumably, when these dealers do have TH-D75s to sell, they will work down their list of reservations in order. Hopefully, if you tell the dealer that you don't want the radio, you'll get your money back. Meanwhile, the dealer has held your money and probably earned interest on your money. It's a good deal for the dealer and a good deal for potential buyers who absolutely have to have the latest and greatest.

Eh, I'll wait.

As for advertising a radio that isn't legal to sell, that happens all the time. The FCC is clear that the radio can't be sold until it has FCC approval. But, the FCC doesn't care if you advertise it as long as your advertisement makes it clear that the radio doesn't have FCC approval and can't be sold.

Frankly, I think the radio is at least 5-6 months away. The radio they showed at Hamvention and Ham Radio Friedrichshafen was a barely-working prototype. Hopefully, Kenwood will have a fully-functioning demo at Tokyo Ham Fair which is the end of August. If they do, then the radio will probably ship before the end of the year. If they don't, then I'd be looking for a Spring 2024 ship date.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
So Kenwood is ginning up the radio, that may come to the market, long before customers have an opportunity to buy one. That sounds like a predominately ineffective waste of advertising capital to me.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I don't think Kenwood is alone in announcing a new product long before it's available for release. As I recall, Icom showed the IC-9700 at Tokyo Ham Fair about a year before they were ready to ship.

And, in the case of Kenwood, given the persistent rumors that they are getting out of amateur radio (which I've been hearing since about 1994), they may have decided that showing the TH-D75 before it was ready was necessary to maintain their "presence" in customers' minds.

As for stores taking "reservations", to me that's nothing more than a money grab on the part of the stores. Kenwood has limited power over what the retailers do.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
They had working radios at the Tokyo Ham Fair. End of the year delivery approximately, I’ve reserved one and am looking forward to it.