Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Santa will probably have to give you an IUO for the radio. I don't think U.S. dealers will have them until January.

It’s usually within a week of shipping to the early reservation holders when HRO starts calling.

NN4C

I hope it’s not too expensive (the D75), but I have a thought on why Kenwood won’t do an “all-band/all-mode” rig:
MONEY
If you had the choice of a $5,000 P25 rig or a $1,000 P25 “and everything else” rig, which would you choose? Smaller depts (think VFD’s & rural towns) would pick the cheaper option and do the TX mods and be happy that they saved a bunch of $. I’m not looking for a debate over Part 90/95/97 rules. Simply stating what would happen if it was available.

wd8chl

I hope it’s not too expensive (the D75), but I have a thought on why Kenwood won’t do an “all-band/all-mode” rig:
MONEY
If you had the choice of a $5,000 P25 rig or a $1,000 P25 “and everything else” rig, which would you choose? Smaller depts (think VFD’s & rural towns) would pick the cheaper option and do the TX mods and be happy that they saved a bunch of $. I’m not looking for a debate over Part 90/95/97 rules. Simply stating what would happen if it was available.

I'm not too sure what you're talking about here. What do you mean by "and everything else"?
Fwiw, I have yet to see a made-for-ham rig that does P25.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
I’ve been pretty enthusiastic about the TH-D75A but…

I saw pricing at a European dealer that converts to $750 USD or so. That’s a deal breaker if it’s accurate.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
And, of course, everyone is speculating based on an advertised pre-delivery price from a European dealer.

It's gonna be an expensive radio. The TH-D74 was expensive and I don't think the TH-D75 will be less expensive.

But, speculating about the U.S. price before U.S. dealers have radios to ship is kind of a waste of time.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
And, of course, everyone is speculating based on an advertised pre-delivery price from a European dealer.

It's gonna be an expensive radio. The TH-D74 was expensive and I don't think the TH-D75 will be less expensive.

But, speculating about the U.S. price before U.S. dealers have radios to ship is kind of a waste of time.

The 52 was $649, so not too much more. But it will be a deal breaker for some if it’s $100 more.

Canadian dealers are quoting $999.00 MSRP CAN. We will know the US price by the end of December most likely…

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The 52 was $649, so not too much more.
Which Kenwood radio is "The 52"?

But it will be a deal breaker for some if it’s $100 more.
Some will wait for the radio to hit the used market. I purchased a perfect condition used D74A for $400. A fellow ham had one a few weeks ago for sale for the same $400 price. Still, when you consider how many radios the D75 can replace it will sell...if they don't already have a D74. If the $100 matters, those operators may be fans/disillusioned due to low cost CCR's. They may also moan about buying the $50 Diamond SRH320A antenna.

Canadian dealers are quoting $999.00 MSRP CAN. We will know the US price by the end of December most likely…
I am not in a rush as I own a D74. I have also enjoyed not being on the cutting edge anymore. A buddy has been after me to sell my D74. I told him to just wait and purchase the D75. I will then borrow it and compare. He'll probably use it once as he prefers his commercial and military radios for amateur use.

I have fun with my D74A, but when I'm up in the middle of nowhere I use a commercial radio. My D74 would definitely see more use if I didn't have that particular commercial handheld.

k6cpo

At the Anaheim HRO yesterday, I overheard a customer talking to a sales associate about the D75. The customer conjectured the MSRP of the radio would be on the high side of $700.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Wimo, a German amateur radio dealer has the TH-D75E (no 222 MHz band) listed on their website for €738.66 excluding VAT, which I don't think we'd have to pay but we'd have to pay sales tax, and excluding shipping, which many U.S. dealers will waive on a large purchase.

At today's exchange rate, €738.66 is US$795.80.

Now, there's no guarantee that the price in the U.S. will be the same as the price in Europe.

Wimo says they will have radios in stock January 19, 2024.

By comparison, Wimo sells the Icom ID-52E for €503.36 excluding VAT and shipping.

palmerjrusa

Wimo, a German amateur radio dealer has the TH-D75E (no 222 MHz band) listed on their website for €738.66 excluding VAT, which I don't think we'd have to pay but we'd have to pay sales tax, and excluding shipping, which many U.S. dealers will waive on a large purchase.

At today's exchange rate, €738.66 is US$795.80.

Now, there's no guarantee that the price in the U.S. will be the same as the price in Europe.

Wimo says they will have radios in stock January 19, 2024.

By comparison, Wimo sells the Icom ID-52E for €503.36 excluding VAT and shipping.

Almost $800 for a handheld that's not that much different from the TH-D74!!

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Look for initial used TH-D75 examples to sell on the local used markets for $1,000 +.

One of a kind serial number, a 'famous' Ham owned it and all that.

clovisb31

Which Kenwood radio is "The 52"?

Some will wait for the radio to hit the used market. I purchased a perfect condition used D74A for $400. A fellow ham had one a few weeks ago for sale for the same $400 price. Still, when you consider how many radios the D75 can replace it will sell...if they don't already have a D74. If the $100 matters, those operators may be fans/disillusioned due to low cost CCR's. They may also moan about buying the $50 Diamond SRH320A antenna.

I am not in a rush as I own a D74. I have also enjoyed not being on the cutting edge anymore. A buddy has been after me to sell my D74. I told him to just wait and purchase the D75. I will then borrow it and compare. He'll probably use it once as he prefers his commercial and military radios for amateur use.

I have fun with my D74A, but when I'm up in the middle of nowhere I use a commercial radio. My D74 would definitely see more use if I didn't have that particular commercial handheld.

Wondering which particular handheld "commercial radio" replaces the Kenwood D74 in frequency capability. Including the 222 Mhz band?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use a hand truck to shuttle around a dual band Motorola APX 7000xe handheld. No 1.25m but that’s slim around here ;) Still, up in the hills I also carry my Garmin inReach SE+, as I am in no mood to rely on amateurs. The APX mainly allows me not to worry about poor weather.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know of a release date for the good old USA yet?