Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
@AK9R

The reservations ($35) with HRO are fully refundable at any time, other retailers may vary. I’ve had really good experiences with their system. I had a reservation for almost a year (due to the AKM fire) for the ID-52A and got mine in the first US shipment.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I understand that most ham radio stores are on the up-and-up about these reservations. But, I don't feel right giving a store my money for a product they don't have available to sell just so they can put the reservation fees in the bank and earn interest on my money. I don't have a strong compulsion to be the first guy on the block to have a newly-released radio.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
I understand that most ham radio stores are on the up-and-up about these reservations. But, I don't feel right giving a store my money for a product they don't have available to sell just so they can put the reservation fees in the bank and earn interest on my money. I don't have a strong compulsion to be the first guy on the block to have a newly-released radio.

Understood, I’m an early adopter :) always have been.

ScanFanEd

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a sense for what timing currently looks like? Is there much of a chance for release before the end of the year? Any chance prior to Christmas?

AK9R

Super Moderator
I predict it will be here when it's here. :rolleyes:

I've also suggested that there are boxes of TH-D75s sitting around Kenwood's offices in California. ;)

In all seriousness, I think the hardware design is settled and Kenwood's engineers are still working on software/firmware issues.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I called old man Kenwood. He was tight lipped about the release date. He did remind me though that the typical Japanese fiscal year begins on April 1st. He then also reminded me that the D74 was released in August and the D72 in December. As he was hanging up the phone I heard him say, Ho Ho Ho!

mortoma61

I don't care about the DSTAR, I just want a tri-bander and if Kenwood is going to support 1.25m/220 even a little bit, I'm going to reward them with a sale. Yaesu and ICOM couldn't care less about 220. ICOM has never made a 220 rig that I know of. Yaesu only put it with the VX-6 but at such a low power it's useless unless you can actually see the tower the repeater is on from where you are at any time. I put 13.8 volts on it but I still doesn't make 1 watt on 220, supposed to be 1.5 watts. I should know, I have a VX-6R and can't even key up a 220 repeater and we have 5 or 6 around here!! I'm not poor so I turn up my nose at cheap China crap like Bungfang or whatever they call those "things". Call me a ham snob if you want :)!!!! If you're a homeless person that relies on China cheepies I apologize. And to me I don't care if this model is not a step up from a 74, mostly because I really wanted a 74!! Well worth $800.00 which ain't a lot of $$.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
ICOM has never made a 220 rig that I know of.
Allow me to expand your knowledge: IC-P3AT, IC-V21AT, IC-03A and IC-03AT, IC-3A and IC-3AT, IC-3SAT, IC-37A, IC-38A, IC-2330A, IC-375A.

Yaesu only put it with the VX-6...
Yaesu has built several more radios with the 222 MHz band: FT-33R, FT-109RH, VX-8R, VX-8DR, FT-127 and FT-127RA, FT-311RM.

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Anyone have a sense for what timing currently looks like? Is there much of a chance for release before the end of the year? Any chance prior to Christmas?

I think they’re aiming for end of the year but January seems more reasonable. Kenwood has a page up with manuals listed but the PDF links aren’t populated.

mortoma61

Allow me to expand your knowledge: IC-P3AT, IC-V21AT, IC-03A and IC-03AT, IC-3A and IC-3AT, IC-3SAT, IC-37A, IC-38A, IC-2330A, IC-375A.

Yaesu has built several more radios with the 222 MHz band: FT-33R, FT-109RH, VX-8R, VX-8DR, FT-127 and FT-127RA, FT-311RM.
Sorry, been away for a while. I'm talking about currently made radios with 220 band, not radios from many years ago. If you look for a radio currently made, you find little except for this new Kenwood and the VX-6R. I've been away from ham for 30 years now (but always renewed every 10 years) and am trying to get back into ham. That's why I didn't know about the other radios by Yaesu and Icom. But yes, it's what's being made today, not 50 years ago that counts. I'm not interested in the used radio market. I apologize for my lack of knowledge of all the really old radios previously made that had 220 band. But being out of the hobby for 30 years and not being a ham "geek" like many are, it's understandable. Not saying any of you are geeks personally, but many in ham are and I hear them every day on HF SSB and repeaters. I'll never be that into ham if you know what I mean. BTW, the VX-6R really doesn't count since it only puts out an insulting 1.5 watts (and that's only on battery power over 12 volts, not the rechargeable on the radio) and when I try to even key up 220 repeater around here, the repeaters laugh at my VX-6R. And that's even line of sight at 10 miles away. I have never been about to hit a repeater on 220 but can hit quite a few on 2m and 440.

Last edited:

N4DJC

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, been away for a while. I'm talking about currently made radios with 220 band, not radios from many years ago. If you look for a radio currently made, you find little except for this new Kenwood and the VX-6R. I've been away from ham for 30 years now (but always renewed every 10 years) and am trying to get back into ham. That's why I didn't know about the other radios by Yaesu and Icom. But yes, it's what's being made today, not 50 years ago that counts. I'm not interested in the used radio market. I apologize for my lack of knowledge of all the really old radios previously made that had 220 band. But being out of the hobby for 30 years and not being a ham "geek" like many are, it's understandable. Not saying any of you are geeks personally, but many in ham are and I hear them every day on HF SSB and repeaters. I'll never be that into ham if you know what I mean. BTW, the VX-6R really doesn't count since it only puts out an insulting 1.5 watts (and that's only on battery power over 12 volts, not the rechargeable on the radio) and when I try to even key up 220 repeater around here, the repeaters laugh at my VX-6R. And that's even line of sight at 10 miles away. I have never been about to hit a repeater on 220 but can hit quite a few on 2m and 440.

We have several 220 repeaters, some are at pretty high elevations. I have no problems hitting them at 5 watts. 220 seems more popular in the NC mountain areas.

wd8chl

Fwiw, Alinco has a DR-CS25 220 mobile that's been out for a few months. Nice radio. Takes the place of the DR-235 (?) that was just dropped about 2 years ago or less.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Now, if KW would put out a tri-band mobile ala the TM-742 or similar, that would be worth while.
After the D74 was released there was an effort requesting Kenwood release a mobile with the features of the D74. I cannot remember if I sent a direct email, or if I used a shared form and added my input as well. I would probably purchase two of them.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
When I see RT Systems has programming software for it at HRO, DX Engineering, Gigaparts, etc. for it, I'll know it is on the way.

AK9R

Super Moderator
Santa will probably have to give you an IUO for the radio. I don't think U.S. dealers will have them until January.