Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Even more so on the HF gear, as there are mfg. power limited models of the same radio based on the Japanese amateur license.

No word on D75A FCC approval yet. The flood gates will open after that. I will be loaned one for testing/comparing, but I doubt much difference to the D74A. I will mainly compare the wide band RX against my Icom R30. Yes, the R30 should be better and it is, but to what degree. The D74A enjoys some inline filters to mitigate strong broadcast RFI. An inline BNC preselector is a good thing to have as well. I use an old Miracle Whip IL for that. (Good luck finding one as I am looking for a second one as well)

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
Even more so on the HF gear, as there are mfg. power limited models of the same radio based on the Japanese amateur license.

No word on D75A FCC approval yet. The flood gates will open after that. I will be loaned one for testing/comparing, but I doubt much difference to the D74A. I will mainly compare the wide band RX against my Icom R30. Yes, the R30 should be better and it is, but to what degree. The D74A enjoys some inline filters to mitigate strong broadcast RFI. An inline BNC preselector is a good thing to have as well. I use an old Miracle Whip IL for that. (Good luck finding one as I am looking for a second one as well)
I hope the Battery life is improved or someone (maybe not KW) comes out with bigger batteries!

palmerjrusa

Own both radios.

Curious what deficiencies you think the IC-R30 has compared to the TH-D74 re performance?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Anyone know of a release date for the good old USA yet?
When it gets here. ;)

Dealers are telling customers early- to mid-February. Until it has an FCC ID, I think that's speculation.

Folks are conjuring up all kinds of rumors. Rumors that they are already in stores in Japan (which might be true). Rumors that they are still on a boat from Malaysia (including questions wanting to know what boat its on so they can track them). Rumors that Phil Parton has stacks of them in his office.

palmerjrusa

When it gets here. ;)

Dealers are telling customers early- to mid-February. Until it has an FCC ID, I think that's speculation.

Folks are conjuring up all kinds of rumors. Rumors that they are already in stores in Japan (which might be true). Rumors that they are still on a boat from Malaysia (including questions wanting to know what boat its on so they can track them). Rumors that Phil Parton has stacks of them in his office.

DXEngineering has shipment of TH-D75 pre-orders = Feb 7:

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
DXE is close enough to me where I could drive down and experience what a gold bar feels like.
It's underwhelming if you expect it to be like Universal Radio was, as its a little corner of Summit Racing. It is, however, extremely nice to be able to order anything online and be able to pick it up for the cost of a 20 minute drive.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Yep, I gotta make it down there one of these days. Ordered a few things from them but just had it shipped.

palmerjrusa

DXEngineering has shipment of TH-D75 pre-orders = Feb 7:

Now see DXEngineering is giving a date of Feb 20 (previous date = Feb 7) for shipping of the TH-D75A.

Looks like pre-orders re the first shipment have already been accounted for...

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
EFJ's VP8000 blows that thing out of the water. There is no reason for Kenwood to release this product with the same bad battery life as it's predecessor and only 1 digital mode.
To be fair, the D74/D75 batteries are either 1100mAh or 1800mAh, where as the VP8000/NX5K batteries go up to 3900mAh. As for the 1 vs multiple modes, I still think they held back the NX5k, should be able to have all 3 digital modes at the same time.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
EFJ's VP8000 blows that thing out of the water. There is no reason for Kenwood to release this product with the same bad battery life as it's predecessor and only 1 digital mode.
Hummm the VP8000 is a commercial grade radio worth a lot more than the D75. I don't how you came to compare the 2 radios. Not the same features, not the same market and definitely not the same price range.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
If you take away 220 and D-Star (who cares) then my FT5DR is plenty of competition. If I ever needed 220 again then I'd just pick up a VX-6R because who doesn't love more radios?