Kenwood: New Kenwood TH-D75

Kenwood TH-D75

• I'm really looking forward to buying this radio.

Votes: 16 14.2%
  • May consider buying this radio and some point.

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Not interested in this radio.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • D-Star is dead, Jim.

Votes: 24 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Just grabbed a TH-D75A. New from HRO. Grabbed the RT system software, a backup battery, and the quick charger. My ham activities on VHF/UHF are probably 95 % monitor and 5 % transmit. One kilo buck for the rig and accessories (and tax). My last Kenwood was a TH-F6A (owned two, both sold which I regret to this day). I also had a TS-570D which was my first HF rig. Working HF on 09/11/01 with the 570D on or about 10:00 EST before reporting to my LEO job on 2nd Shift, a station in Belgium told me to turn on the news, minutes later my bosses were blowing up my phone, telling me to get my ass in to work. I saw the smoke where the Trade Center was knocked down on the way in. I'll NEVER forget that. So far very happy with the TH-D75. SSB in a handheld is back for me. 5 watts on 220 is a plus. I have to admit, in recent years, I drank the Chicom Baofeng, Wouxun, etc kool-aid . They are all going in the garbage now. I hope Kenwood follows up with a mobile based on the TH-D75A. I'm buying if they do.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Ham Radio Outlet has the TH-D75A on sale for $599.95 until 9/23.

I drove down to HRO to buy one specifically for 1.25 meter work. Phoenix was all sold out on Saturday and no one thought about ordering more. Back ordered from some other location.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I recently used my D74A for dedicated 1.25 meter fun during the VHF September contest with a Diamond 320A antenna. I used the 12v Kenwood PG-3J for power.

While the lower $600 D75A price is nice, the differences between the two are not drawing me to upgrade. I do not need dual D-Star RX and I would be hard pressed to use a handheld as an APRS digipeater. I have a Kenwood D710 if I need that, or I would just purchase something from Byonics that could take the hammering.

The one thing I do like about the D75A, is the charge via the USB port. I solved that with a $12 USB charge cable via Amazon. I expect a D75A will be in my future, but no rush. I am planning on throwing some money first at the new Kenwood mobile in 2025.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
@vagrant, I agree on all points. I was tempted by the $600 weekend special pricing, but decided yesterday afternoon to wait. I'm sure we'll see similar, maybe better, specials around Black Friday, After Christmas, or Hamvention next spring. I don't use my TH-D74 very much and the upgrades to the TH-D75 are not compelling to me. I'm very interested in the new mobile, though I expect it will be expensive.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I use an APX more often, but the D74 has the TNC for APRS messaging or getting info from MPAD, etc. where cellular does not reach. I could use the Garmin for weather, but I can pull data submitted by a nearby CWOP station for accuracy. I‘m just lucky one is near the area I go.

* By the way, to all D74/D75 owners, I found that my original battery would no longer charge using the fast desktop charger. When I tried the USB charger it would take a charge again. The supplied AC slow charger may work as well, but I‘m not sure where mine is at to test. The original battery would not charge using the PG-3J 12v either.

Looks like slow and steady wins the race. Also, my battery is not “expanding”.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Is anyone having else having issues with the Bluetooth system in the D75? I can't get it to see other working BT devices, much less pair with anything.