• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

bearcatrp

If we could get allot of folks to email the manufacturer asking when is a SSB Randy coming out, could prod them into action. I caked them about SSB shortly after I bound mine and was told no plans are on the table. Email them once a month!

slowmover

More

Finally (it looks like) an excellent handheld antenna is available.

Last edited:

slowmover

More

Finally (it looks like) an excellent handheld antenna is available.

Who’s gonna be first?

slowmover

Dug my R-2 out of the couch cushions and took it with me on a day of errand-running. Need to figure out how best to use it as a backup.

BATT Pack attached and plugged into cigar lighter. (Adds no noise). PRESIDENT Texas on roof.

1). Distinctly needs RF/CMC choke at radio end of coax. Found my P-E version of that today.

2). Need an adaptor to run the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEECH Speaker. This radio isn’t pleasant to which to listen all day (similar to a UNIDEN 880/885/980). Lacking NRC is become a handicap since 2023.

Left that at home, but believe I have a step-down jack adapter somewhere. Past experience is that the Unidens and a Randy are tamed by DSP.

3). So, am having to use ASC to avoid turning SQ half-closed. Compander and Hi-Cut are on. ANL/NB, off.

I’m in a major metro where the amount of hash & trash is high.

ASC is a nice feature for some uses, but it wipes out faint signals and degrades the closer ones.

You and your friends are caravanning and want an R-2 on an adjacent FM channel, then ASC seems ideal.

For GP automobile use you need an external speaker. Or headset. (Get both). Lapel mic/Speaker is also handy.

IMG_6109.jpeg

Found a RigRunner, too, so W-M speaker & KL-203 to jack it up next trip.

There’s plenty on AM-19 where I am.
But can’t hear or be heard with present config.

Last edited:

slowmover

Compander function (and Hi Cut) are ON as givens, from here.

Being able to avoid ASC looks like the trick for AM-19 use (busy channel + distant warning).

DSP Audio devices can be found new or used.

Looks like my retired W-M integrated speaker and a spare KL-203 + R-runner earned a spot with Randy as pickup truck back-up radio . . . not just as a mobile extension to the main rig (think I’ll toss in the U980 also to free up Randy; otherwise can patch it in).

— I need to build a harness extension to avail myself of 12VDC run for the main rig, and maybe a board mount to Velcro to center console.

2800 & 3800 Apache transport cases to divide up gear for removal, and to carry dedicated supply + tools in general.

Given, (master proposition) this:

Post in thread 'Looking for advice for a new CB radio "system" for my pickup truck'
Looking for advice for a new CB radio "system" for my pickup truck

then being able to remove all the 11M stuff to safe transport/storage gives a framework to pickup mobile ops.

Antenna storage a separate subject.

Last edited:

slowmover

Example of $7.00 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter to run a speaker from the radio side socket.

These “digital radios” as we were calling them after circa 2012 intro of Uniden 880/980 have a high level of “hash” in RX audio which is wearying in all-day use.

DSP devices in Audio are a fix, but expensive.

The difference in sound quality just from smallest speaker (lapel mic/speaker) to built-in radio speaker is noticeable.

With Randy we are unable to back off the RF Gain (needs maximum with portable antenna dimension limits) as one would do with U880/980.

So I’ll suggest a Cobra 300 mobile extension speaker as a low-cost bit of help. Better audio fidelity with that larger cone to better spread the freq.

A dedicated speaker to customize (sound enclosure, internal noise reducers, etc) to get the most from using Randy or Jerry as walkabout plus backup to the main mobile rig.

Obviously, a D-E DRX-901 is an ideal choice where it’s the main radio rig extension speaker

IMG_6120.jpeg

IMG_6121.png

I gave these to fellow drivers for a few years as gifts in recognition of training & help received. Still have a couple. Find at PETRO/TA or online (Bells CB).

Last edited: