• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB

slowmover

I've been around since 23 channels. I swear I don't remember a Class D with FM capabilities, and I was pretty heavily invested at the time.

I agree with your sentiment then, if you can concede that even people in the communications industry doesn't know FM Children's Band exists now. lol

.... perhaps because you could also easily say that you know few, if any people with working CB radios in every vehicle they own. With regards to my current home use of Citizen's Band, you'd also be correct. Ish.

I attribute it to being a wide kinda person lol

It doesn't have to be. Your use case is not the only way these can be utilized; CB and LMR have largely died in popularity as time goes on; however, it is seeing a resurgence among user groups seeking less reliance on fixed infrastructure.

Properly apportioned, the 'Randy' could develop a cult-like following, finding its way into the hands of partisan fighters, deep-woods and overlanders, and others that can appreciate what semi-HF frequencies can offer, but without the headaches the amateur bands contain.

.... Or, it could simply be the bridge in between the house radio and the car radio, fading into obscurity like so many other handheld CB radios over time. The magic of FM is that it opens the door to digital modes. I am excited to see what non-hams do with FM, who otherwise wouldn't experiment with HF ham digital. Who knows what this may bring? But, without Single Side Band, it simply isn't a device to be taken seriously.

Having talked around the world on a few watts, and pushing the limits of what manpack/portable/handheld units can do for a long time now, I'm going to disagree. CB is always going to be a few watts. You can get further with SSB than you can FM or AM. And, with the advent of rare-earth battery formulations, it's not power to the plate, either.

The Achilles heel of portable radios is, and always has been the antenna. More specifically the (lack of) a counterpoise; which only worsens as the frequency gets lower and lower. When radios lost the metal touch-panels on the sides, they lost the ability to honestly capacitatively couple to the user, which was still like bringing a pistol to a cannon contest.

Anyways, I've derailed this Randy thread enough. I sent them an email, also; they may not listen, but I made the effort.

I appreciate the points you’ve made.

arudlang

Happy to have been wrong in my previous comments, thanks for the link to that handheld SSB (even if it is very expensive). A lot of good points made since I last visited the thread.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Surfacemount, these were 10 meter radios with adjustments for 27 meters. You needed to know someone who knew what they were doing. Been around since 23 channels myself.
The only FM CB I recall was in Australia, and it turned out to be UHF in nature. I was in with the peak and tune and upstairs and downstairs and how many toggles can you fit into a 29xl crowd haha. BEFORE you could get a digital add-on frequency display, even.

I don't doubt you, because I don't know what I don't know, and it is quite possible I saw a FM CB back then, but it would have been in a paper catalog in a truck guard shack or something.

I appreciate the points you’ve made.

Thank you for being reasonable. I see a lot of promise in this device, I want to share your enthusiasm, as well.

Happy to have been wrong in my previous comments, thanks for the link to that handheld SSB (even if it is very expensive). A lot of good points made since I last visited the thread.
I think that a handheld CB could be a huge thing. People that are never, ever going to bolt ANYTHING to their dash, or their house, might warm up to something handheld that you could add an antenna and a house power source to. I had a radio shack unit that did exactly that, plus a hand held microphone. Price is always a barrier to entry, but I never thought I'd see how crazy people went for those baofeng type handhelds, either.

At any rate, I am emailing back and forth with someone at the House of Randy. Whether they listen, I cannot say. But I'll at least try. Imagine a unit that did all-mode CB, PLUS MURS, PLUS GMRS/FRS! (They aren't going to do that, BUT)

Put that in a military-grade case, give it lots of antenna and power options... mmmm

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I bought one two weeks ago works great! Best handheld CB I have ever seen. The KI Kenwood mic fits but will not work for some reason. Best $99.00 I have spent.

slowmover

BUT)

Put that in a military-grade case, give it lots of antenna and power options... mmmm

9E29ABB5-A435-44E9-B4B3-A2F2EFBE0123.jpeg

Roll your own until then.

RANDY as attendant to a mobile radio.

The walk-around experience and being able to supplant the cased radio in a TAC COMM TRC with an amp, etc, already aboard.

How well the handheld does in use is the set of insights needed to make a case to “improve the product”.

— A LINCOLN plus a Liberty cordless mic and thru a KL-503HD is a pretty convincing mobile package to which to also use in conjunction with a Randy. An ALINCO 30A power supply to round off.

All of which can be fitted to a T-C TRC Case Set to use at home or on the road.

Any variety of external antennas

I wouldn’t get overly hung up on all features desired being in a shirt-pocket. Comms is the ultimate goal, not miniaturization. 12/120V is still the decisive factor.

In the meantime there’s a working reference setup.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
Thanks! I've kind of built a few of those. Motorola and Pyramid and a bunch of others have done the in-vehicular repeater / RICK thing to death. It still doesn't really help in mountainous terrain, either. I want a shirt pocket solution, because I don't like carrying a two pound radio, when I can get it in a six ounce form factor. Communications has been about miniaturization of components and assemblies since the 1930's. And, it will continue to smallerize, IMO

slowmover

An invisible mobile antenna for a Randy:

(More links inside link):

🥷 Stealth Antenna for 11M

(from a separate thread):

“. . they work surprisingly well. I've tested them several times against a permanent roof mount antenna while the cars drove until they could not be heard and of course the permanent roof antenna went further, but not that much further.” (@prcguy)

Intenna 3355-CBA
Microwave Filter Co

eBay $15-$100

As I’ve posted several times, the Randy plugged into a good coax system/antenna is surprisingly close in performance to a Uniden 880.

Looks to me like “the answer” for being able to effectively use a Randy while in one’s car (Just install an out-of-the-way external speaker as it’s not optional). Great convenience and not trying for ultimate performance.

Probably a dozen ways to secure the handheld radio.

Last edited:

RC4

Has anyone purchased the new President Randy FCC handheld/mobile CB radio? Was thinking of purchasing one and was curious has to how the performance of this radio is in a mobile setup. I would mainly be using it for travel purposes and don't want to go the permanent mounted radio route (even though I know that is the better option). Thanks in advance.
I have two of the US versions. Just don’t expect to get out very far with the junk rubber ducky it comes with.

slowmover

I have two of the US versions. Just don’t expect to get out very far with the junk rubber ducky it comes with.

A WILSON Little Wil ain’t much of a mobile antenna, but it’s also not hard to pack for Fly-n-Drive.

Pack a 12” pizza pan, too.

What’ll work for walk-about has been covered a little (search).

cwol97401

WOW This thread is so long winded it's a wonder it hasn't been locked yet. I certainly lost interest. I came back because I'm still looking for a 'good' speaker mic for this radio. Contrary to most statements heretofore, the baofeng/ Kenwood [ K1] plugs are NOT compatible. These radios have the same pinout and configuration as the later Radio Shack, Maxon, Cobra, [ S1] and Midland handheld [ S2] radios.
Unfortunately I haven't found a single speaker mic for under a hundred dollars that has decent build and workmanship quality. The sm that president radios markets is the identical one that Midland markets for it's bubble-pack FRS radios, that is, cheap, inferior quality product that you'll need to replace after a couple months of regular use. If anyone has found something that works and has a decent build quality, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I'm out of breath.
P.S.the cobra antenna I mentioned in my first comment here gives me a 3-4 mile tx over the fire scorched terrain of southern Oregon. That's my experience, knowing how to hold an ht radio for best maximum range while transmitting. ymmv.

Attachments

• Mar_8_2023_9_52_45.jpg
    Mar_8_2023_9_52_45.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
If I ever decide to get into CB,the McKinley is the way to go. Gorgeous radio
I have one and love it. Run it with a Sirio 5000 magmount at present, and it has great sensitivity for hearing things (better than my scanners or ham radio get, even paired with the same antenna). Transmission is good too: I regularly contact Europe and all the way across the continent with the McKinley, barefoot. Got California today, which is impressive as a magmount is the not the greatest of antennas with which to be trying that. In fact, California is not something I've ever gotten with my Yaesu FT-818 ham radio, even through a resonant dipole up 40 feet! So, yeah, go McKinley!

FPR1981

I have a Randy that I carry with me when I'm out. They're well built and do decently well for a handheld. Obviously, upgrading to a telescoping antenna improves performance vastly, but they're a nice modern take on a classic.

slowmover

Gave the first Randy 2 purchased (Larry’s CB, Dallas, TX) to my son as his Fly’N Drive, and about a year ago purchased a second while at Summit Radio, in Denver, CO.

Obtained a VOX lapel speaker/mic as first real accessory and am outfitting a soft case to keep it as the back-up radio in my pickup until I decide that issue.

IMG_4204.jpeg

Unless I’m advised differently, this antenna to climb a hill to really get out:

Standby use of maybe 8-hours on AM, 1-3/hrs in constant portable use (I’m figuring), so a second battery pack may be obtained.

FM would be shorter in time (my understanding, haven’t used it except to test).

1-3/hrs at 1-3/miles with a walk-about antenna?

Think I’ll obtain a cup holder mount to use in truck. Make a short adapter to run the trucks external CB speaker (under seat). Another to connect to truck antenna so it stays out of my way.

I’ll try one of my Bearcat cordless mics, see if it won’t run on the Randy.

Last edited:

slowmover

1). Am reminded that with a decent telescopic whip where attaching an 8’ bit of wire as counterpoise creates a dipole effect.

One who tested such: “Yep, tried that on Randy 2 and improved TX/RX gain by 3-4 S-points !!!”
(andy kirby)

2). Charge time of about three (3) hours.
(390 Wagonmaster)

3). Hard leather case

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Thanks for posting. How well does the speaker/mic work? Have had my Randy I for a few years sitting in my truck. Have a real long antenna to put on when needed but keep the current duckie on it for local use. Was hoping a new Randy would come out with SSB but guess thats not in the cards. Thinking the speaker/mic while on my lawn mower may work so the wife can yell at me if needed. Can't hear my cell phone at all when mowing.