New SDR CommRadio CR-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo68

I will be orderding the new receiver with the internal battery for an extra $20 on the 6th of febuary all im waiting for is a reply for shipping cost to australia.Who else is goong to order this receiver for $500 and you save yourself $150..

Regards Lino..

WB2KTG

Good Morning All!

I'm pleased to report that I have in my hot little hands one brand new CR-1!

Don was kind enough to advance me a 'field test unit' for evaluation. My plans for today are to power it up and see how it performs. I'll be taking pictures also and will post pictures and my observations and findings. Who knows, maybe we'll take a look "under the hood" and see what makes it tick!

Stay tuned.

As background, I am a radio / technology geek. First got my Novice license back in 1963 followed shortly by a General Class upgrade. Picked up my Amateur Extra Class and First Class Radiotelephone with Ship's Radar endorsement in 1971, the same year I graduated from college with an engineering degree. (I didn't change my call when I got my Extra Class for the same reason I didn't change my name when I got my college degree...) My first 'real' receiver was a Hammarlund HQ-145X. Over the years I've had several other Hammarlunds, ICOM R-70, ICOM 735 transceiver, Drake TR-7 transceiver, three brand new R-390A's manufactured by EAC (which was located in Red Bank, NJ, one town over from where I lived. Also owned a National HRO-500, and a Hammarlund HQ-215 solid state rig. More recently I've had a WJ 8716 and currently have a Racal 6790 which was recently gone over by the Racal guru Gary Wingerd. As of this morning, I consider the 6790 to be the finest receiver I've ever used. I also currently have an ICOM IC-R20, AOR 8200, and an RFSpace SDR-IQ, several ICOM handheld VHF/UHF transceivers and a handful of FRS transceivers. I had my first 'magical experience' with radio when I visited my "Elmer's" station. (An Elmer is an amateur radio guy who helps a noob through the process of learning about ham radio and in my case encouraging me to learn the Morse code and get my licence) He had a National NC-303 ham band only receiver with a huge knob right in the middle of the front panel. Each tick mark on the knob indicated 1KHz, and the large slide-rule dial window was probably 18" wide. That receiver, along with his tri-bander, and the walls covered with QSL cards from around the world had me mesmerized and forever changed my world. My now deepened interest in radio influenced my career choice to become an engineer and have enjoyed getting paid good money to design and play with other people's expensive toys for many years. I am currently employed in a position which involves all aspects of current radio and computer technology.

WB2KTG

The Official CR-1 Specifications Sheet released today

Introducing the New CR-1 Communications Receiver

The CR-1 is a small, low-power, ruggedly constructed radio-receiver that is finding a niche in the world of SWL’s (short wave listeners) and amateur radio enthusiasts.

The CR-1 is a new Software Defined Radio (SDR) from the designers of miniature wideband signal intelligence receivers developed for special-operations units and rugged business-jet data-link transceivers.

The CR-1 SDR is independent of a host PC, using embedded digital signal processing technology providing a degree of portability and performance previously unavailable to the radio enthusiast.

As one potential customer noted: “It’s an SDR with knobs, keys, and a display!”

Frequency Coverage and Modes:

MW-HF: General Coverage: 500 kHz - 30.000 MHz

• User Configurable Band Key:
o Amateur Band Selections: 160 m – 10 m
o International Broadcast Bands 120 m – 11m
• AM-SSB-CW auto-mode-selection (based on tuned frequency) with user-override.
• International Broadcasting: auto-select AM - 5 kHz steps - cursor override
• Auto-Filter Width select with override: AM: 6 and 7.5 kHz kHz/SSB: 2.6 kHz/CW: 1 kHz
• Tuning Resolution (cursor control): 1 MHz / 100 -10 - 1 kHz / 100 - 10 Hz

VHF-UHF General Frequency Coverage:

• VHF: Continuous Coverage: 64.0 - 225.0 MHz
• UHF: Continuous Coverage: 437.0 – 468.0 MHz
• Automatic standard frequency steps for each band
• Cursor Controlled (override) Tuning Resolution : 1 MHz / 100 - 10 - 1 kHz

VHF-UHF Band Plan:

• Aircraft Band: 108.000 - 136.975 MHz, AM auto-select -25 kHz channel steps
• Amateur: 2 m, 1.5 m, 19 cm (upper portion starting @ 437.0 MHz); with user selectable standard frequency steps. NBFM mode default with SSB-CW mode selects.
o Note 6 m (54 MHz) is not available.
• Marine & NOAA Weather Radio
• Public Service: 137.0 - 225.0: 12.5 and 25 kHz steps. NBFM default.
• FRS-GMRS 462 – 467 MHz , NBFM - 25 kHz Steps

Receiver Architecture

• HF: Dual conversion (VHF-UHF: single conversion) with low-IF , I-Q digital sampling, 16 bit DSP with digital audio CODEC

• DSP demodulation algorithms: DSB-AM, SSB, CW, WBFM, NBFM

• DSP scalable, fixed bandwidth channel filtering

Audio System – (Digital CODEC)

• Speaker Driver: 0.8 W into 8 Ohm load
• Internal 2.5” diameter, Mylar communications grade speaker
• External monaural speaker jack (3.5 mm stereo jack - back panel)
• Headset Driver: 40 mW into 16 Ohms. (3.5 mm stereo jack - front panel)

Antenna Inputs

• MW-HF Port: 1000 Ohm – 3.5 mm audio jack (auto-detetion)
• MW-HF Port: 50 Ohm – BNC (female)
• VHF-UHF Port: 50 Ohm – BNC (female)

Display

• 64 x 128 OLED Display with EMI filtered-lens
• Readable outdoors and manually dimmable

Power Inputs

• USB and 6-18 VDC – 2.1 mm diameter center pin (positive) jack

Power Consumption

• < 1.0 Watt

USB

• Mini-B –USB 2.0 Jack (powered): Downloadable software updates from CommRadio Website

Mechanical

• Overall Size: 5.64” W x 2.43” H x 6.10” D (including knobs, jacks , feet)
• Weight: 1 lb – 12 oz
• Knobs: Machined Aluminum – Black Anodized
• Front Panel: Machined Aluminum – Powder Coated – Black semi-gloss
• Case: 20 Gauge Steel, Powder Coated – Black Crackle.

ESD Protection: ESD Diodes: Antenna ports - Power Jacks - USB Port-Keys – Knobs

Hardware Design Limitations:

• The CR-1 is not controllable over USB by CommRadio or third-party software at this time.
• I-Q analog and/or digital IF signals are not ported to the rear-panel or accessible or at a standard sound-card sampling rate.

Software Demodulators Not embedded in the CR-1 at this time:

• Mono or Stereo FM broadcast Demodulator
• P25 or Trunk Radio
• D-STAR
• DRM

Always Free: Planned Software Upgrades:

• SW revisions and upgrades (improvements)
• FM broadcast demodulator (US and International)
• European Band Plans: MW- 9 KHz Frequency Steps

Potential New Software Applications (provided free if they occur, but not guaranteed to all new customers in 2013):

• Spectral Display (across individual bands) – fast detect of band openings
• CW reader ported to display and over USB
• PSK-31 decoder ported to display and over USB.
• Tell us what you want.

Origin & Warranty

• Designed and manufactured in USA
• Limited 1 year warranty on parts – labor – workmanship

WB2KTG

Inside the CR-1

The big chip is the Analog Devices ADSP-BF512, the DSP chip. The next largest is the CPU, a PIC24F. All surface mount devices, with a solder masked, silk-screened G-10 board and gold plating. No 'white wires' visible on this side.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Looks like a nice, clean design. Don't internal DSPs require some form of shielding though? I don't recall the exact reasons..? Really glad there are no jumper wires -- can't stand those...

WB2KTG

Shielding or no shielding is dependent on many factors. If you have the expertise to design a board without separate shielding elements, it's better and less expensive than if you need to include separate shielding. Shielding typically is done after you find out it won't work as it was originally designed... This circuit card is multi-layer so you can provide shielding internal to the circuit card by using good layout techniques. I think that's what we have here. Provide power and ground planes and signal segregation by layer. The proof of the design is how it performs of course.

SCPD

QRT
Any details about the internal battery option, capacity, etc? I presume this is a rechargeable NiMh or LiIon battery that can recharge through the radio's external source?

WB2KTG

Good Question!

From what I understand, a 2.8AHr Li ion battery is currently being tested. There is an unpopulated battery holder in the radio right now. The price range under discussion for the battery is ~$20. The battery will automatically charge when you hook the radio to any power source. The battery is sized to run the radio at full speaker audio volume for 10 hours. The power consumption for the receiver has been reduced to less than 1 Watt.

WB2KTG

I/Q Output is not available from this receiver.

With respect to less than one watt power draw using headphones or using the speaker question, I have not seen the actual test results so I don't know.

I made two images of the front panel with the display illuminated, one using flash, one with ambient light. The color shown is an accurate representation of what the receiver looks like. The black of the display is just as black as the front panel so you have excellent contrast, but the numerals are not 'bright' so as to cause eye fatigue. The intensity is variable so you can adjust the brightness to suit yourself. I find it very easy to work with.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
With respect to less than one watt power draw using headphones or using the speaker question, I have not seen the actual test results so I don't know.

Ah, I was going by the web site specification: Power Consumption 1.1 W (headset) &#8211; 1.6 W (speaker)

Is it just me or is the LCD in your eval unit a little off-center? :wink:

WB2KTG

One thing I forgot to mention. The reason for what appear to abnormally thick long feet (legs?) is to provide adequate clearance under the receiver for the bottom mounted speaker to project the sound.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
WB2KTG

I am liking what you are doing and thank you very much for the time and effort you are putting into this.

Just wondering, any chance for some sensitivity measurements? Or others?

WB2KTG

Looking at the display in the images and right in front of me, I think you're right. The left side appears to be a bit higher than the right side. The index line is sloping downward when going left to right. I presume that's just a matter of adjustment at the factory. I have noted it and submitted the question to the higher authorities... Thanks for your keen observation, I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it!

WB2KTG

I'm sure Don and his team fully characterized the design and first production samples. I know he's busy building units, getting the appropriate certifications completed, technical documentation, and all the rest of the back room activities that seem to occupy 95% of our waking hours. I will pass along any data I get as soon as I receive it, but I don't have any detailed specs myself yet.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I understand.

I would even be interested in an unscientific comparison with some other radio. MW and SW performance (my interests anyways). Just a general idea on how well it hears. :D.

So close to being ready to pull the trigger on this. More info would push me over the edge lol.

SCPD

QRT
I understand.

I would even be interested in an unscientific comparison with some other radio. MW and SW performance (my interests anyways). Just a general idea on how well it hears. :D.

So close to being ready to pull the trigger on this. More info would push me over the edge lol.

Well, the store needs to be up first before you can order. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.