new to scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

justtry

I dug out an old scanner (well about 2 years old) but its just a radio shack desktop scanner my dad messed around with for a bit and then threw it in his closet with all his other gadgets. I know enough about trunking and all that to know that this cheap scanner won't pick up much but i figured i'd ask so forgive my ignorance.....any good freqs in the KOP/upper merion area to listen on this thing, before i sell it on ebay. I might keep it if it there was something to listen to. thanks- JT

justtry

got this thing working a bit, not much EMS or police, but i got the mall channel and turnpike chatter comin in loud and clear, any other good business freqs or other stuff around KOP?

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
For the time being you can listen to the turnpike! Also, you should be able to pick up the analog dispatch freqs for montco., the medical helicopters and some other stuff just check out the database. See what is there that you might be interested in.

captclint

Mentor
Welcome to RR. In case you haven't noticed, the DATABASE link above will yield a lot of conventional(non-trunked) frequencies for Montgomery County, Pennsylvania (PA) (Assuming KOP=King of Prussia) that you scanner will receive. Suggest you go to UserCP, and edit your location to a bit more clear for others who may have valuable info for your area.

Last edited:

justtry

yeah i programmed some freqs from the database, just not much public service chatter from the conventional freqs everything in montco is on the trunked system i think, they might use the conventionals for backup or as a second system. I got a few interesting businesses and taxi/bus services coming in clear as a bell...

2nd question- is having a external antenna better than just using the stock screw-in one that comes with the unit?

yes KOP is king of prussia, captclint

458.9375 upper merion crossband uhf rebroadcast 800mhz fire system
152.9450 lower providence vhf rebroadcast 800mhz fire system
460.5625 king of prussia fire company fireground used often
460.6375 swedeland fire company fireground not used but sometimes
465.6125 swedesburg fire company fireground often used
461.8375 upper merions township repeater (fire/ems/police) access this channel
and theres many more thats just to name a few i had in my scanner prior to joining the fire service but these frequencies are active

Status
Not open for further replies.