NJICS Municipal Migration Discussion - Statewide

ansky

multiple sources with close ties to Livingston PD have reported they are planning to go full time E.

Hopefully Fire will be in the clear. I'm in the next town over but on the wrong side of the mountain so I have never been able to hear them.

Tac-1

They may be planning, but the budget has the final say. E cost money and they don't need E, just a waste of taxpayers money

ansky

I don't think these towns care much about interop. Do they even have access to each other's talkgroups? I listen to Montclair, Verona, and Bloomfield and I can't say that I have ever heard any type of interop communications.

markjrenna

There is interop with the rescue squads. At one time I did hear the non NJICS Cedar Grove talk to Verona on NJICS. So maybe Verona lent them a radio.

I don't think these towns care much about interop. Do they even have access to each other's talkgroups? I listen to Montclair, Verona, and Bloomfield and I can't say that I have ever heard any type of interop communications.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the additional cost per radio for E?

Not sure if this is still accurate but about 7 years ago the Motorola reps were pushing AES-256 for anywhere between $600-$900 additional per radio at the time of new purchase, plus the cost of the keyloader if the agency purchased their own. I wouldn't be surprised if the price has fluctuated since then.

(Disclaimer: Just answering the question to the best of my knowledge, not debating the merits of encryption per the forum rules.)

I usually just hear them call each other on SPEN. (shrug)

Last edited:

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
There is interop with the rescue squads. At one time I did hear the non NJICS Cedar Grove talk to Verona on NJICS. So maybe Verona lent them a radio.
More likely they were coming through on the VHF patch.
I have been pushing for us to get West Essex First Aid Squad’s talkgroup for months now. We seem to go there on mutual aid quite a bit, so why would we need to have direct communications with West Caldwell dispatch right? But to the powers that be, it’s just not a priority.

A few months ago I looked at the assistant fire chiefs portable, an APX8000, and was not surprised to see the only thing in it was the Verona talkgroup, and whatever else the state puts in there. I told the chief that there was no reason he could not have almost every fire department in Essex County programmed . But they don’t seem to care either.

It irritates me when I hear Verona calling North Caldwell on SPEN because they don’t have each other’s talkgroup . Complete stupidity! Just give me the system key and I’ll fix it in minutes!

Rant over.

Not sure if this is still accurate but about 7 years ago the Motorola reps were pushing AES-256 for anywhere between $600-$900 additional per radio at the time of new purchase, plus the cost of the keyloader if the agency purchased their own. I wouldn't be surprised if the price has fluctuated since then.
Chump change, especially if you have a small department.