OC Fire and OC Sheriff squabble over Laguna Beach rescue - Raw Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyC

Sheriff’s officials complained they had three helicopters available to dump water in the crucial early stages of the Canyon 2 blaze, but were not invited to participate by Orange County Fire Authority officials.

“We had… aircraft to put water on that fire within 15 minutes (of when) the fire flared up,” said Sheriff’s Lt. Chris Hays. “We might have knocked that fire out.”

The last thing anyone needs is lawsuits from those who lost homes from the blaze but it's statements like that that will ensure they happen and that the county loses money it probably doesn't have to pay.

krazybob

I'd rather they speak the truth. From the audio of the first incident the fire authority has a problem with SO encroaching om THEIR job. Here in the San Bernardino Mountains SO regularly drops water on fires.

jmarshl

Premium Subscriber
San Diego Sheriff has two helicopters that are routinely used for fire fighting and airlifting Cal Fire crews. The partnership appears to work very well.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Duke 6 is dropping water in Carbon Canyon as we speak.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Eng74

Do San Deigo or SBCoFD have their own helicopter programs or is it a partnership with their respective Sherriff's Departments? Aero programs are not cheap. They can also make a department money. It is not unusual for us to have one of our two helicopters to get sent out on fires as a stand-by medivac with its hoist and fire line medics on it. Everything comes down to budgets. When it comes time to cut, they always look at the big ticket items, aero programs and new equipment are always on top then comes OT and manning. Right now in California if I was a chief, I would make sure my department had 5 Type 3's that I could send out. They are money makers for a department. Ok back to the mess in OC.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
I say taken them away from everyone and give them to an emergency management office and staff them as need for the mission.

krazybob

In San Bernardino we don't have this issue. We have a "first available" co-existence policy. However, our sheriff's department handles SAR operations on the ground. The SAR members are in the SBCO chain-of-command. I have worked with a foot in both worlds. In the last 12 months I have worked on three operations that were directly related to the saving of numerous lives. Two were mountain rescues and the on-scene control was SBSO. However, due to physical limitations all I can do was work the radio's now. I worked the initial with SBSO who transferred ground operations to SBCoF. I communicated directly with the IC over CALCORD for 11 hours guiding fire resources to 3 people stuck in the snow during a blizzard. All were hypothermic. Once on scene my job was done. I went to sleep while SBCoF spent 3 hours extricating the victims who arrived at ER three hours later. They knew to expect them because I also coordinated medical from a limited perspective. On another ground incident I was first medic on scene of a head on collision and instead of coming up on SO I came up directly on fire. That what was needed at the time. My patient died nonetheless. "Blood Alley" Hwy 395. Yes, I have a radio identifier.

The point is not how awesome I am. I spent time as a LEO until injured. During this period I worked SAR radio. After rehabbing for 20 years I worked SAR ground and then became a PCF. I was therefore trained by both sides and knew where each was coming from. I believe this is what is missing. A candid conversation between the PILOTS/CREWS about how they may coordinate between themselves. "40 King 1, Air 6 - What can I do to help you? Air 6, 40 King 1. Can you watch my rear rotor? I'm up close to the mountain... 40 King 1, Air 6, roger. You're clear by 6 feet." Get the brass out of it!!!

As I've said we don't have a power play between both agencies. If anything one bird will hover out of the direct zone while the other extricates. Depending on the situation SO will land at a LZ and transfer the patient to SBCoF unless air transport is critically necessary for life saving without a transfer. Our deputies are trained paramedics and can handle the medical needs. There is no need for a pissing contest.

I think that this well publicized series of events was embarrassing to both agencies. I've seen it before. But think about this. I know from experience that my POC was the deputy in charge on the ground who was in charge of SAR - sort of. They are given latitude to do what is necessary. ICS protocols transferred operational control to Fire. During one operation I was involved when all three entities communicated together for one purpose - to save the lives of those in danger. It was all about coordination for patient benefit and that should be the goal.

PaulNDaOC

Per the Government Code of Calif this is by default a Sheriff function as a recent OCR quotes the Sheriff as stating. OCFA begs to differ.

This is the nastiest case of bad blood between agencies I have ever heard of.

The 1980's mockumentary that LASD made directed at LAPD after taking down deputies in uniform at gunpoint in an unmarked car seems almost friendly and educational now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPu_i-q_NE

Eng74

Just like everything in California it is going to come down to budget. It will be why do both departments need to duplicate service? Cut the money from the one that is not the primary will be the response. The Sheriff and Fire Chief are both try to protect their programs.

krazybob

That LASD video was BS from start to finish... and inaccurate. The plate may come back to NOTHING or RESTRICTED or Los Angeles County. That was just a stupid power trip by LAPD and it backfired. I graduated the academy in '85 and knew of this BS incident. It reminded me of my beginning in the Army military police having breakfast at the local Apple B's. We all were in civvies but with badges, holstered guns and HT's broadcasting calls. We were still pulled out at gun point! Some waitress got freaked out. As if the short military haircuts weren't clue #1 right outside the base. Our housing areas were being burglarized and since off of the main base we had to travel to/from. We were federal agents under the law. Sad...

To the topic I'm sorry to read that there is still bad blood. Someone wrote the duplication of budgets and to do away with one. It's a little different up here in the mountains where both SO and Fire are Bambi Bucket equipped and trained. 40 King x has been instrumental many times in stomping out a fire before the head can grow. Everyone up here works as a team. We have auto-aid that is mutual aid that is dispatched automatically. A helicopter is usually on Heaps Peak at the Forest Service but is owned by Cal Fire. It doesn't matter. When a brush fire is toned out everyone responds. When my home was filled with smoke last winter due to a malfunctioning central heater Cal Fire was first through the door. It didn't matter that I live in the national forest but we have our own fire department. COOPERATION SAVES LIVES.

Last edited:

allend

Premium Subscriber
Well we all know why Sptizer whatever dude is getting involved. He is running for DA. Its all politics.

Last week, Spitzer and Supervisor Shawn Nelson called Sheriff Sandra Hutchens and fire authority Chief Pat McIntosh to appear at Tuesday's board meeting. Spitzer said he wants leaders of the two agencies to clarify what role each plays in rescuing victims found in wilderness and beach areas.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
COOPERATION SAVES LIVES.

You got it.

My county had 6 fire departments. 6-7 years ago they did not play very nice with each other.

Recently we had a medical assist call where the department that was almost 30 minutes outside of their response area was the closest(in town for training) responding unit. They went and the units in that had jurisdiction were stood down. No pissing. No moaning. Patient care is the first concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulNDaOC

This appears to me IMHO a partial unnecessary duplication of service as far as paramedic positions added to each air rescue unit being funded by the two agencies.

Why doesn't one of the agencies view this from the standpoint that they can turn it over to the other and use the funds towards one of the many dog and pony shows public safety agencies crave to start these days.

Here is the money.

I know what is best for taxpayer will not happen, from Sheriff perhaps more patrols or detectives, or at Fire make an engine company or tow a 4-person versus three now.

What is best for the public is always secondary until there is an outcry as seen after Canyon 2. Fiefdom building has to stop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.