Operating from battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
What's your budget?

There are plenty of solutions for what you want to do, if you want to pay for them. Your application isn't anything new. It's been done in the telecom industry for over a century.

I also like to think that my situation is not unique and that something does exist for what i want to do. I have no clue on how much it may cost so i can't give a realistic budget. I would be more than glad to see some suggestions.

Have you reviewed the various options on Amazon? They seem to have lots of things that may be suitable. A lot depends on your flexibility, does it have to support the Lithium chemistry? Does it have to NOT have a battery charger? Frankly the thread is getting a little confusing (and I'm not being a wise a$$ here.)

Just to clarify, what you want is something without a battery charger, can switch an external charger in and out of circuit without interruption, and can handle 30 amps (of battery draw), is that correct? If it is, the chemistry of the battery might not matter since it is just switching the battery vs. line power.

Thanks
Joel

You are correct i need something without a battery charger. In my head it looks like this;

1638397415608.png

1- When the main power is up the power supply powers the radio and the battery charger only charges/maintains the battery.
2-When the main power is down the switching device switches to the battery and the battery powers the radio
3- When the main power comes back the device switches to the power supply again and the power supply powers the radio and the charger only charges/maintains the battery.

That's it

k7ng

Electronics professional
Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what the PWRGate previously mentioned does. The AC powered supply will also do the battery charging via the Super PWRGate so you can leave the 'battery charger' block out. You just have to adjust the power supply output voltage up a little so the battery charging port can put out the right voltage for the bulk charging phase. 14.15V is what I use onto the partially charged battery. You'll have to set the power supply a little higher than that. Mmckenna mentioned that some time ago. It really isn't hard and trust me, nothing on the radio side even knows the power went off.

The only caveat is that you can't pull more than 30A thru the PWRGate.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When the main power is up the power supply powers the radio and the battery charger only charges/maintains the battery.
What is the maximum continuous current capacity of your power supply?

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what the PWRGate previously mentioned does. The AC powered supply will also do the battery charging via the Super PWRGate so you can leave the 'battery charger' block out. You just have to adjust the power supply output voltage up a little so the battery charging port can put out the right voltage for the bulk charging phase. 14.15V is what I use onto the partially charged battery. You'll have to set the power supply a little higher than that. Mmckenna mentioned that some time ago. It really isn't hard and trust me, nothing on the radio side even knows the power went off.

The only caveat is that you can't pull more than 30A thru the PWRGate.

That device is also a battery charger. The maximum charge current is 10A and i need 30. Again, i need the device to not be a charger.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I also like to think that my situation is not unique and that something does exist for what i want to do. I have no clue on how much it may cost so i can't give a realistic budget. I would be more than glad to see some suggestions.

At a commercial site, something like this would be a good choice:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Why do you think that your power supply can't charge the battery(ies)?

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
At a commercial site, something like this would be a good choice:

Lol, the fact that you need to call them for a price says it all. It sure looks heavy duty and all but probably way too expensive and overkill for my scenario. I just need something that i will use in my basement once in a while. Worse case i will buy/make a power cable for my radio and make the switch manually.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Why do you think that your power supply can't charge the battery(ies)?

1- The recommended charge current for that battery is 30A and the maximum charge current is 60A.
2- The charge method for that battery is CC-CV i don't think the power supply as the "smarts" to do that
3- I don't think the Astron RS-35M as been designed to be a lithium battery charger.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Lol, the fact that you need to call them for a price says it all. It sure looks heavy duty and all but probably way too expensive and overkill for my scenario. I just need something that i will use in my basement once in a while. Worse case i will buy/make a power cable for my radio and make the switch manually.

$1,800 or so.

But when you are running expensive batteries, you don't want a cheap Chinese charger. Granted, that device is overkill for amateur radio use, but the fact is, the products exist. They just are not in your budget.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
1- The recommended charge current for that battery is 30A and the maximum charge current is 60A.

A 30-60amp charger isn't going to be cheap, especially one designed for Lithium batteries. Use a AGM battery, and things get a lot easier.

2- The charge method for that battery is CC-CV i don't think the power supply as the "smarts" to do that

Right, another strike against Lithium batteries.

3- I don't think the Astron RS-35M as been designed to be a lithium battery charger.

It's not.
So, expensive battery + expensive charger, all for a 5 watt ham radio.

Or,

AGM battery, get the battery revert module, use your existing power supply.

I understand what you are trying to do, but you seem to be stuck on needing a 100a/h lithium battery to do this, and don't want to spend the money on the right power supply to support it. You're looking at a $2,000 or so to run a 5 watt ham radio. Sort of like putting an expensive crate engine in your lawn mower. Neat exercise, but sort of pointless.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I sent a email to the battery manufacturer concerning a specific charger. They confirmed that the charger is adequate and will work well with that battery. The charger is 165$

Yeah 5 watts is what i use the most but i want to be able to use the maximum if need be. I could be interested in also using the battery to power 2 more radios. The devices you are talking about is industrial equipment. I understand that there is a simpler way of doing it as mentioned is the second post of this thread. i trying to see if it can be done differently without requiring industrial equipment.

bharvey2

Have you thought about going about this with a battery as your primary power source? When I first started out with CBs in the 70's that's how I did it. I used a car battery as the supply and charged it periodically. I didn't have the luxury of a smart or trickle charger. I'm not sure I'd go this route with a car battery in the house but in a garage or a remote shack it might be an easy alternative.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Have you thought about going about this with a battery as your primary power source? When I first started out with CBs in the 70's that's how I did it. I used a car battery as the supply and charged it periodically. I didn't have the luxury of a smart or trickle charger. I'm not sure I'd go this route with a car battery in the house but in a garage or a remote shack it might be an easy alternative.

No the battery will not be my primary power source. My operating position is in the basement of my house and it is also my work office so i spend many hours there, i don't want to sit beside a car battery all day long

krokus

Premium Subscriber
No the battery will not be my primary power source. My operating position is in the basement of my house and it is also my work office so i spend many hours there, i don't want to sit beside a car battery all day long
This could be done with gel cell batteries, potentially sitting outside the line of sight, for the visual appeal.

A buddy had his HF rig supplied like mentioned, with a trickle charger on the battery, so it would recharge when he was not operating.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
You say you have an all electric car in your driveway, could you just run some cables from its cigarette lighter outlet. Would the cars charger support the kind of operation you are looking for?

Thanks
Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.