• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Opinions on the President McKinley Radio??

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC3ECJ

I hear ya....I got the upgrade cause I figure with the actual signal loss factored in, due to the coax, antenna height, my location and other things, then at that point my radio will be a regular stock 4 watt cb! The only thing I would like to consider is a good powered mic because stock mics on CB's usually really suck. I have a couple of options. My friend gave me a Turner Super Sidekick but it needs to be wired for the McKinley. Or I could buy a hand mic but not sure what to get. I dont want echo or roger beeps just a good amplified mic. But not sure of the quality of them. Probably cheaper to wire up the Turner. But I'd need the connector and diagram on how to wire it.
The stock 4 pin adapter won't work, you'd need a different adpter, but I like using the Cobra HG M75 power mic with both the McKinley and 980.

arudlang

The stock 4 pin adapter won't work, you'd need a different adpter, but I like using the Cobra HG M75 power mic with both the McKinley and 980.

My 980SSB came with a 6-to-4 pin adapter that does work for an HG M75. That being said, I would not recommend the HG M75 anymore. Based on reading reviews, some of which go back a decade, it had been a good powered mic for people. The one I bought a month ago on Amazon is different, and is garbage.

I opened it up to try the resistor mod, only to find that they have (apparently recently) changed to a surface-mount design and the labels on the board no longer match up with old PDF docs you can find online describing the resistor and capacitor mods that are supposed to wake this mic up. Me being an un-educated electronics hack, I was unable to decipher the changes they made to the board to figure out which resistors one would mod if you even still wanted to. I took some guesses and made some attempts, but it only resulted in making the audio quieter and weaker, so I backed out my modifications and put it back together as stock.

Unable to complete the mods people have done in the past to the previous version of this mic, I am very disappointed in its sound and volume in its (updated) stock form. The audio quality is bad and at full power its still not as loud as the stock mic that came with my 980 SSB. It might be marginally louder than the stock mic on my cheaper radios like my 505XL but the quality of the audio is bad enough to make me not want to use it. Its now sitting in a drawer and could be there for a while. This summer I can see if its really any better than the stock mic of the 505XL in my old beater car but right now its -20F and I don't want it to not work because the 9v battery inside it gets too cold. It's definitely no upgrade vs the stock mic on the 980SSB so it would be a shocker if its better than the stock mic on a President Electronics product.

Now, its only $15 so not out much to give it a try. Just letting you know it didn't/hasn't worked out for me and it seems to have something to do with them having updated the internals recently and continued selling it under the same name, but the glowing reviews of people who bought it in 2020 and prior may not apply since its now a different product inside...

This was mine and my attempt at the mod:
New Version Annotated.png

This is a pic from the ancient PDF floating around showing the old style of the board and what to change:
Old Version.png

No dice for me and so far don't like the mic as it came out of the box, but that is just my 2 cents, it's only $15 to try.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I've had a McKinley which a private tech "peaked and tuned" for me. I'm not going to say exactly what he does, but the reception and signal reports were OK before the peak and tune, but excellent afterward. The thing I like about it is that it has excellent noise suppression. I have an older CVPI and the Yaesu that I've had in it is miserable on 10-11-12 meters. The McKinley also has an inferior microphone, so I had the tech install a Texas Ranger mic and the audio reports are excellent. The stock mic works fine, but to me it's cheesy and kind of lightweight. The Texas Ranger mic is NOT a power mic but it's solidly made, and wired up with the six-pin connecter by the tech. I'm not running any "external power" other than what McKinley has been peaked to. I am not familiar with the Bearcat 980, or the Galaxy 959B. I do hear very good reviews of them by several people online, and on the company website. Walcott is an excellent vendor, with good prices and a very capable service department. You won't go wrong if you have the extra stuff done to it at the time of purchase, or later on if you decide to get it. I like the McKinley because it fits perfectly in a 1-U dashboard mount. It's well-built and does what I want it to do. I listen more than transmit, but it can work where I want it to operate.
I have a friend who is giving me a Turner plus 3 desk mic. But it needs a connector and wiring instructions. I suppose I can order a connector online but I need a wiring diagram for the President McKinley. BTW I did order my McKinley as per your suggestion from Walcott. Radio will be here on Saturday. Would you know where I could fine info on setting this Turner mic up to work with my McKinley? Also tell me more about the "Texas Ranger" mic......

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I am planning on resurrecting an old (from the 90's) Turner plus 2 desk mic. But I wil have to get a new connector and a diagram on how to wire it for the McKinley.

ForestRunner98

917 SoCal
My 980SSB came with a 6-to-4 pin adapter that does work for an HG M75. That being said, I would not recommend the HG M75 anymore. Based on reading reviews, some of which go back a decade, it had been a good powered mic for people. The one I bought a month ago on Amazon is different, and is garbage.

I opened it up to try the resistor mod, only to find that they have (apparently recently) changed to a surface-mount design and the labels on the board no longer match up with old PDF docs you can find online describing the resistor and capacitor mods that are supposed to wake this mic up. Me being an un-educated electronics hack, I was unable to decipher the changes they made to the board to figure out which resistors one would mod if you even still wanted to. I took some guesses and made some attempts, but it only resulted in making the audio quieter and weaker, so I backed out my modifications and put it back together as stock.

Unable to complete the mods people have done in the past to the previous version of this mic, I am very disappointed in its sound and volume in its (updated) stock form. The audio quality is bad and at full power its still not as loud as the stock mic that came with my 980 SSB. It might be marginally louder than the stock mic on my cheaper radios like my 505XL but the quality of the audio is bad enough to make me not want to use it. Its now sitting in a drawer and could be there for a while. This summer I can see if its really any better than the stock mic of the 505XL in my old beater car but right now its -20F and I don't want it to not work because the 9v battery inside it gets too cold. It's definitely no upgrade vs the stock mic on the 980SSB so it would be a shocker if its better than the stock mic on a President Electronics product.

Now, its only $15 so not out much to give it a try. Just letting you know it didn't/hasn't worked out for me and it seems to have something to do with them having updated the internals recently and continued selling it under the same name, but the glowing reviews of people who bought it in 2020 and prior may not apply since its now a different product inside...

This was mine and my attempt at the mod:
View attachment 114705

This is a pic from the ancient PDF floating around showing the old style of the board and what to change:
View attachment 114706

No dice for me and so far don't like the mic as it came out of the box, but that is just my 2 cents, it's only $15 to try.

I didn’t know that the board was re-done.

I have the previous version and did the mod and it really came to life!! I will say it’s louder than the stock McKinley mic but not by too much. The McKinley mic does sound a lot better though. I went back to it. Just make a small hole, remove the white felt and speak across it fairly close. I used another radio with headphones so it would not squeal.

kk9h

Premium Subscriber
I own a President McKinley that I use mainly for road trips and I am very happy with it. I am especially happy that President provides access to the service manual. I know my way around radio innards and own the appropriate test equipment so bringing the carrier level up to 4 watts was easy and adjusting the AM modulation to 100% was also straightforward. I then made sure that SSB was both dead on frequency and at least 12 watts PEP out. My McKinley sounded fine out of the box, but I figured why not tweak its performance up to normal CB specs. The built-in antenna SWR measurement function is novel and fairly accurate, but I have the right equipment for that too and already knew my antenna was properly tuned. I really like the Automatic Squelch Control and Noise Blanker/Automatic Noise Limiter features which all work extremely well. The car we travel in has a little bit of engine noise and the NB/ANL removes it completely without impacting the received audio. It's the best I have ever used on a CB radio. Granted I use the McKinley mostly to monitor Ch.19 while on the road, I have received some unsolicited positive comments on my transmit audio for both AM and SSB. Lastly, the front facing speaker is wonderful for making it easy to hear. I would describe the McKinley as a functional, easy to use, solid performing mobile CB radio.

n7lrg

Premium Subscriber
Yes, other 4 wheelers have said similar and the McKinley is the go to radio. I run one in my Toyota 4x4. The front speaker is a plus AND it is sized (DIN) so you can mount it in your dash if desired,

slowmover

i have 2 980 unidens. both are junk. im thinking mckinnly for the big trucks as both 980s let me down. from what im reading the mckinnly sounds great
Time changes things:

Status
Not open for further replies.