P25 Phase 2 Best Radio for Unaffiliated

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Plus i can use priority TG which i can't do with an APX and NAS.
But there are downsides to this (including the inability to "sit" on a particular channel without programming it as a scan list by itself, a limited delay because you are scanning from a conventional channel, inability to have a priority scan list, and others).
That hasn't been true of the APX for over a year now. With R17 (released early February 2018) came the new Intelligent Priority type of scan list. It is essentially the Multi-System Talkgroup scan list with Priority 1 and Priority 2 enabled. Yes, it works with NAS, and is functionally identical to a Priority Monitor scan list.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Would the XTS be able to still scan with the TDMA modulation vs. FDMA on Phase 1? I saw someone on ebay saying he could program the XTS5000 to monitor a p25 system, it’s not TG scan its just any and all audio from the system, but I was weary that the TDMA modulation on the P25 voice wouldn’t work.
ASTRO 25 series (XTL/XTS) is FDMA only; they have absolutely no TDMA capability nor can they be tricked into passing audio from TDMA talkgroups. If the system uses a combination of FDMA and TDMA talkgroups and/or the system has DDM, then the radios will naturally pass the FDMA audio.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
ASTRO 25 series (XTL/XTS) is FDMA only; they have absolutely no TDMA capability nor can they be tricked into passing audio from TDMA talkgroups. If the system uses a combination of FDMA and TDMA talkgroups and/or the system has DDM, then the radios will naturally pass the FDMA audio.

Thats exactly what I thought...

From the seller when he was trying to convince me that this was legit:

"For Phase II I can programing I can do the audio frequencies if listed as D for digital. I've done 2 so far and they work. It beats buying a APX"

Nevertheless, I still have the XG-15s which I think I can set to non affiliate. We'll see how that goes and if it's not working, P800 is the next stop.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Thats exactly what I thought...

From the seller when he was trying to convince me that this was legit:

"For Phase II I can programing I can do the audio frequencies if listed as D for digital. I've done 2 so far and they work. It beats buying a APX"

Nevertheless, I still have the XG-15s which I think I can set to non affiliate. We'll see how that goes and if it's not working, P800 is the next stop.
What he is saying is not exactly incorrect.

There are many systems listed in the RRDB as Phase II which still have a bunch of Phase I FDMA talkgroups in use. In fact, there are systems that are listed as Phase II which have no identified TDMA talkgroups listed. Our policy is to list a system as Phase II if its broadcasting TDMA capability, even if no TDMA talkgroups have yet been identified. I guess that's a discussion for another time and place, however he is correct in that what ultimately matters is the mode of each talkgroup. If the talkgroups are flagged with a D, that indicates FDMA Phase I mode, if flagged as T it means TDMA Phase II mode.

So yes, an XTL/XTS will receive the FDMA talkgroups of a Phase II capable system.

phillydjdan

I have an APX-7000 with Chester County in it for non-affiliate scanning. Works great if programmed properly. Only thing I don't like is the fact that some units are a LOT louder than others lol.

magiclightman

Premium Subscriber
I have an APX-7000 with Chester County in it for non-affiliate scanning. Works great if programmed properly. Only thing I don't like is the fact that some units are a LOT louder than others lol.

It’s insane, some days County Dispatch is ungodly loud and then 15 minutes later you can’t hear them at all! I’ve heard a few people ask chester to speak up even because of how quiet they are some days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Hey Dan, I don't know if you saw Tom's reporting on the shooting the other night but he had nothing.

Just last night I was thinking the same thing with my apx 7000. Zone 1 dispatcher was so low on the overnight shift had to crank the volume all the way up and get blown out by The Cars. I think that's a headset problem though and not the same as Chester.

Good to see you back here, must be from that link I sent you the other day on the nxnd LOL

phillydjdan

Yes, Bob, there issue is boom mic placement, not audio settings in the system. Philly has that problem too. The dispatcher puts the mic down under their chin lol

And yes, of course the police didn't give him any info lol

gcopter1

Would the KNG2;

1. Scan more than one system?
2. How many tg's can be fit in a scanlist?
3. Hold / sit, skip, add a delay to a talkgroup?

I've used / programmed a G4 before. But there's no holding on to a tg, delay or make a scanlist on the fly.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Would the KNG2;

1. Scan more than one system?
2. How many tg's can be fit in a scanlist?
3. Hold / sit, skip, add a delay to a talkgroup?

I've used / programmed a G4 before. But there's no holding on to a tg, delay or make a scanlist on the fly.
KNG radios can only scan one system at a time. A scanlist can include up to 17 talkgroups (including the selected channel) with a Priority 1 and a Priority 2 talkgroup in Priority scan. You can truly select and sit on a talkgroup (unlike MOT no-affiliate scan), you can skip, and you can have selectable delays the in the programming.

Dan

gcopter1

KNG radios can only scan one system at a time. A scanlist can include up to 17 talkgroups (including the selected channel) with a Priority 1 and a Priority 2 talkgroup in Priority scan. You can truly select and sit on a talkgroup (unlike MOT no-affiliate scan), you can skip, and you can have selectable delays the in the programming.

Dan
Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.