Portland, ME / Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcfarland99

Premium Subscriber
I am using a Uniden 346XT scanner and have been using FreeScan for programming (though slowly getting comfortable with manual programming). I've been using the database information from here but I have a question regarding the setup of the 'Simulcast' site in the Portland Public Safety system. The information I download for the site shows the type as Mot 800MHZ Standard (TypeII). However with the rebanding that was done does this need to be changed to MOT Custom Reband/Type II with the relevant Band Plan information put in? Does the same need to be done to the Scarborough site which is also in the same system? (Although I havent seen anything that has mentioned Scarborough rebanding.)

Thanks.

mainetrunk

Really? Portland going p25? I heard them last week on an OPEN AIR night, didnt hear any p25 sounds--yet...When they 1st rebanded about--6-8 years ago, I had someone tell me my pro 94 wont take it because the freqs being GIVEN to the reband were FORMER cell freqs. ( Now analog--at that time ) I went to my spot and tuned in, no problem. I'll take another run to my spot asap to check for p25 sounds.

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
I dont think Portland is going p25. I know state police are in the process with other state agencies following. The only other LE that I know that uses p25 is Augusta PD but they also their old system too so you can still pick them up on a regular non-digital scanner.

KB1VLA

Uniden scanners need a custom band plan entered for Type II/3600 BPS systems. FYI the 'Scarborough' site listed here doesn't actually exist.

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
I was in Portland tonight for the Old Port Festival and heard everything just fine and no signal stalk and close call pickups

SentinelVT

Portland Public Safety is in the VERY early planning stages of upgrading their radio system since the existing system is failing. When the system is upgraded it will be digital, however it is highly unlikely that it will be encrypted. This means that current local listeners will be required to buy the more expensive digital capable scanners to continue listening.

This upgrade is part of a complete overhaul of Portland Regional Communications Center's technology system and will include a new CAD system as well. As with any project, money is going to be the primary issue which will require that it is completed in stages. Due to the current status of the project, I would not worry about buying a digital scanner within the next year or two. However....it would be wise to start saving money if you do not already have one. South Portland Fire/Police purchased digital capable 800mhz radios when they switched from VHF a few years ago, so they will be ready to swap when Portland eventually makes the switch. Portland on the other hand will need to upgrade many, if not all of their 800mhz mobiles and portables during overhaul. So...it is a very large project that will at least take a few years to fully implement.

Also, if a department is using a P25 system, it does not automatically mean they are implementing encryption. Very few departments in the US actually implement encryption. I know of only three or four police departments in Vermont that do and many of the federal government agencies as well. It just may sound that way to those who have analog scanners since digital signals will sound all garbled.

KB1VLA is correct. The "Scarborough 800mhz system" does not actually exist and has been in the RR database for years. I do not remember what the reasoning was for that, but for some reason I remember someone saying that they have the licenses for those 800mhz frequencies, but do not use them.

mainetrunk

The state also has many vhf freqs they don't use either.Heres a prime example-- http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseFreqSum.jsp?licKey=2963956 ... I have never heard 159.405 analog, I'm also real close to Rochester NH which uses 159.405-but digital.( back to subject ). As far as Scarborough trunked system, I've never heard more than 1 CC while doing an 800 search-With a directional antenna--. I think Munjoy Hill TRS does both Portland and South Portland.. I'll take a walk up later to do another search.

kmcfarland99

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all of the replies. I had the 'Simulcast' site setup as a standard site (no rebanding info) and have changed it to put in the rebanding information but so far, haven't noticed any difference. I've never heard anything on the Scarborough trunked site listing so I may delete it.

mainetrunk

I just got back from my Portland CC check. No digital sounds yet, but when I ran an 851 mhz search, I got 2 CC's--852.2875 and 852.7875. I stored them and immediately went to manual mode. Both CC's were active for about 10 seconds, then 1 of them stopped. I re-ran the search and I guess I just heard 1 go offline while an alt, CC kicked on. Just 1 CC is what I got ..

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
159.405 is the state forest rangers. i hear them on here everyday.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
Why is Portland Maine updating their radio system ?
Is Portland going to use any encryption ?
Is South Portland going to use any encryption ?

ScanMaine

Premium Subscriber
Im heading to Portland Friday to do some frequency searching! Maybe MaineTrunk and I can get together at FiveGuys for a burger????

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
Help me

ecps92

Because the Radio System has reached EOL (End of Life) and EOS (End of Support) from mother "M"

Just like many original EDAC systems are EOL and need to upgrade

As for Encryption? We will find out when the new systems actually get's implemented

Status
Not open for further replies.