Post Your Mystery Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

I recall someone reporting back in 2014 during a band openning, from Atlanta, for 406.6625 and based on that being a common FRB channel it was thought to be that. Hopefully someone local will catch the Sys and control channel
Biloxi/Gulfport, MS unknown trunking system.

406.4750 ($110)
406.5625 ($110)
406.6625 ($110)
406.7625 ($110)

Only TGID received on any freq was "1". Security/police dispatch and patrol. Locations included "2-Tango-24" and "Bravo-2". License plates and driver's licenses were being run. One officer was waiting for a visitor from OIG. RIDs were all in the 5xxx range.

I am leaning towards this being the VA Hospital in Biloxi. The DB here lists their police as using 171.0125 ($293) but I found that to possibly be the VA Hospital Engineering channel in New Orleans; this freq was not received at all while in Biloxi for a week.

Oddly, all of the output freqs received were in the neighborhood of 1-2x5 RSSI. All of the traffic I received on the input freqs was 5x5. I was approximately 2 miles from this facility. All of the recorded traffic took place between 2000-0900 hours daily.

The radio was one of the TRX-1s running my UHF NAC search list, 400.000-420.000. This radio will reject 'hanging' on a control channel.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
One hell of a band opening to receive portables, at least one mobile and what was likely the base radio.

Also, this was not received at all while I was in New Orleans, staying about 6 blocks from the FRB branch there. Solely received from Biloxi.

Equipment used was the TRX-1, fed by a Diamond D220R mobile discone. QTH was the 22nd floor of a building in Biloxi, facing south.

ecps92

Yes it was and they only got that One Freq, which made us jump to the possible conclusion it was an FRB Office, but
based on the APRS maps, it was West of Atlanta into MS/AL

Now that we have more info, nope not FRB - Nice find, hope someone local will get the SysID
One hell of a band opening to receive portables, at least one mobile and what was likely the base radio.

Also, this was not received at all while I was in New Orleans, staying about 6 blocks from the FRB branch there. Solely received from Biloxi.

Equipment used was the TRX-1, fed by a Diamond D220R mobile discone. QTH was the 22nd floor of a building in Biloxi, facing south.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Yes it was and they only got that One Freq, which made us jump to the possible conclusion it was an FRB Office, but
based on the APRS maps, it was West of Atlanta into MS/AL

Now that we have more info, nope not FRB - Nice find, hope someone local will get the SysID
I should be back in that area in a few months for a visit, then again rather more permanently.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
170.4375 NAC 100. No voice was ever heard, only the repeater keying up every so many minutes for about 5 seconds at a time.

Heard near the state line in Hamilton County, Florida and Lowndes County, Georgia.

nd5y

I’m surprised that there’s CBP or ICE repeater near Hamilton County. They hardly ever have anything to do with that area.
They have those in a lot of places. Not just border areas or cities with a ICE office. The same is true for the FBI.

The ICE repeater in my town is dead 99.9 % of the time. I would never have know it was there except I happened to hear the techs on the old analog repeater the day they switched it to P25.

Last edited:

nd5y

Does anyone know why these Federal repeaters constantly key up with the data burst?
If it's short data bursts that means it's part of a vote-scan system. Usually a network of conventional repeaters in an area that have different output frequencies and a common input frequency. I don't know exactly how it works or what the data bursts do. If you are hearing long data bursts for several seconds that is probably OTAR.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know why these Federal repeaters constantly key up with the data burst?
Tom is correct - this is usually a "vote scan" system that allows radios coming in to the area to figure out the nearest repeater with the best signal without the radio owner having to key up and see if it works. The radios are looking for these key ups as they scan. The key ups usually don't contain any other data besides the P-25 NAC as far as I have been able to determine.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.