• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

PPS version 4-00-Beta20 Errors Out when Programming a G5

jabbeaux

Like the title, programming a G5 with PPS version G_Series_PPS_V00-04-00_Beta20 throws attached error when trying to program my G5. I am running firmware V1.40-T02J-08212020 on the G5. Anyone else get this error or know the fix?

Full Error Text. Screenshot attached.
PPS does not support this device. You may access programming resources for all Unication products on our website at www.UnicationUSA.com under the DOWNLOADS tab.

Thanks!

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 72

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Wasn't that version of PPS for the scanning beta? If so, your serial number must have been registered with Unication to use it.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Like the title, programming a G5 with PPS version G_Series_PPS_V00-04-00_Beta20 throws attached error when trying to program my G5. I am running firmware V1.40-T02J-08212020 on the G5.
Wasn't that version of PPS for the scanning beta? If so, your serial number must have been registered with Unication to use it.
Likewise with the Firmware, it is specific to the pager serial number, if it was not registered to your device it will not work.

jabbeaux

I am running the beta firmware, and have been for a long time without issue, and also haven't had issues programming with multiple versions of PPS.

I think what happened was I got this PPS a while ago from Uni, installed, then never used it. My profile was last programmed with PPS version v.3.16.beta24 (?) or 3.17.beta7 (beta10? beta12?). It should work since I'm running latest firmware version of the Beta.

jabbeaux

For anyone who stumbles on this thread w/ same issue, here is the answer from Unication:
  1. If you're running v1.40 firmware (closed scanner beta), program with PPS 3-17-Beta07.
  2. To use a higher version PPS can't be running the old 1.40 firmware, need to upgrade to v1.33 firmware. As of today 4/25/2023 the latest public stable firmware version is v1.33. By newer/higher-version PPS version, I mean any that came after 3-17-Beta07 so:
    1. 3-17-Beta10, or
    2. 3-17-Beta12, or
    3. 4-00-Beta20, or
    4. 4-00-Beta28,
    5. etc.
  3. Scanner beta firmware is abandoned. They couldn't scan between analog and conventional, that was nail in coffin.
  4. Any firmware released after v1.40 (which came out in 2020) is considered "newer" by Uni even though yes - the version numbers are lower like 1.32, 1.33, 1.34, etc. They contain newer stuff, and can be programmed by these increasingly newer PPS versions.
  5. PPS is not "locked" by serial number.
  6. A PPS version may/may-not work with a given firmware version, but this isn't about serial number locking. Rather, it's if the PPS was coded to deal with the file structure/settings of the given firmware installed. This was my issue. Effectively my v1.40 firmware is too old and PPS 4-00-Beta20 through 4-00-Beta28 too advanced. To use these PPS versions, I need to upgrade to v1.33 firmware.
  7. It's safe to upgrade to v1.33 from the scanning beta. Or v1.34 albeit issues missing tone outs on 1.34 that's why was pulled for now. In fact v1.31, .32, .33, and .34 all considered "upgrades" to 1.40 beta firmware and is safe to install them. But if I do, will lose the scanning feature. Which, Uni knows is a deal-killer for many. But there is newer logic/tech built into these upgrades...at the sacrifice of losing the scan feature.
TL;DR PPS isn't locked by serial, rather my firmware is too old to be properly programmed by this newer version of PPS. I need to use 3-17-Beta07.

tkowalik

Banned
For anyone who stumbles on this thread w/ same issue, here is the answer from Unication:
  1. If you're running v1.40 firmware (closed scanner beta), program with PPS 3-17-Beta07.
  2. To use a higher version PPS can't be running the old 1.40 firmware, need to upgrade to v1.33 firmware. As of today 4/25/2023 the latest public stable firmware version is v1.33. By newer/higher-version PPS version, I mean any that came after 3-17-Beta07 so:
    1. 3-17-Beta10, or
    2. 3-17-Beta12, or
    3. 4-00-Beta20, or
    4. 4-00-Beta28,
    5. etc.
  3. Scanner beta firmware is abandoned. They couldn't scan between analog and conventional, that was nail in coffin.
  4. Any firmware released after v1.40 (which came out in 2020) is considered "newer" by Uni even though yes - the version numbers are lower like 1.32, 1.33, 1.34, etc. They contain newer stuff, and can be programmed by these increasingly newer PPS versions.
  5. PPS is not "locked" by serial number.
  6. A PPS version may/may-not work with a given firmware version, but this isn't about serial number locking. Rather, it's if the PPS was coded to deal with the file structure/settings of the given firmware installed. This was my issue. Effectively my v1.40 firmware is too old and PPS 4-00-Beta20 through 4-00-Beta28 too advanced. To use these PPS versions, I need to upgrade to v1.33 firmware.
  7. It's safe to upgrade to v1.33 from the scanning beta. Or v1.34 albeit issues missing tone outs on 1.34 that's why was pulled for now. In fact v1.31, .32, .33, and .34 all considered "upgrades" to 1.40 beta firmware and is safe to install them. But if I do, will lose the scanning feature. Which, Uni knows is a deal-killer for many. But there is newer logic/tech built into these upgrades...at the sacrifice of losing the scan feature.
TL;DR PPS isn't locked by serial, rather my firmware is too old to be properly programmed by this newer version of PPS. I need to use 3-17-Beta07.
Is there anything earth shattering on 4.0? I dumped my 1.40 a long time ago.

jabbeaux

Is there anything earth shattering on 4.0? I dumped my 1.40 a long time ago.
Yeah it's actually why I wanted to use it. It's a complete upgrade to the usual look/feel/layout. In my pic I attached at begin of thread, those 4 buttons at top slide open the top 1/2 of the window so you can program settings while simultaneously seeing the Frequency List, Trunking Systems List, Protocol List, or Grouping List. You can only open one at a time in the top, and the bottom remains the section selected on the leftside nav. Can also collapse the top by clicking the button again, and the split pane disappears.

The Grouping List is different than any PPS before it, all the TGID's can now be saved into "groups" then when setting up knobs you select that "group". If you're dealing with a number of talk groups or two-tones, it's pretty nice.

I also really like the Knob/Zone grid is now color coded. Each knob's color is different depending on what's programmed. Haven't looked up the color coding legend, but overall it just feels more intuitive. For advanced users. I do not think this will make PPS any easier for a brand new radio enthusiast, but if you knew how to program Motorola or similar and familiar with what the major radio settings do, then this layout flows much more naturally. I also see some additional settings I hadn't noticed before, like controlling LEDs and timeouts.

tkowalik

Banned
Yeah it's actually why I wanted to use it. It's a complete upgrade to the usual look/feel/layout. In my pic I attached at begin of thread, those 4 buttons at top slide open the top 1/2 of the window so you can program settings while simultaneously seeing the Frequency List, Trunking Systems List, Protocol List, or Grouping List. You can only open one at a time in the top, and the bottom remains the section selected on the leftside nav. Can also collapse the top by clicking the button again, and the split pane disappears.

The Grouping List is different than any PPS before it, all the TGID's can now be saved into "groups" then when setting up knobs you select that "group". If you're dealing with a number of talk groups or two-tones, it's pretty nice.

I also really like the Knob/Zone grid is now color coded. Each knob's color is different depending on what's programmed. Haven't looked up the color coding legend, but overall it just feels more intuitive. For advanced users. I do not think this will make PPS any easier for a brand new radio enthusiast, but if you knew how to program Motorola or similar and familiar with what the major radio settings do, then this layout flows much more naturally. I also see some additional settings I hadn't noticed before, like controlling LEDs and timeouts.
Sounds K/A! Exciting!

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
It has nothing to do with firmware 1.40. Its made by a group on Facebook
I downloaded V0.4.0 (Now up to Beta 28) a few months ago but just now started using it.
It's one of those times you say "Why didn't I do this earlier"
Im in the process of redoing all 3 of my G5s
I love the enhanced cut/paste, Export/Import a csv file and only have the TGs you want with the system so programming
a knob I don't have to scroll through 400 TGs

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
It has nothing to do with firmware 1.40. Its made by a group on Facebook
The OP had the problem with PPS 1.40 Beta 20 and FW 1.40, this was a very early beta that attempted to add scanning to the G4/G5. It didn't work and has since been abandoned. The Beta 20 PPS was specific to that beta test and included different features, so the OP has everything to do with the firmware, especially since you must change the firmware from 1.40 to a newer (albeit lower numbered) version.

That said, totally agree with you on the rest of your post, many advantages with Beta 1.40 Beta 28, but it is only available on the Facebook Beta Group. And, BTW, it wasn't made by the Facebook group, it was made by Unication which runs the FB group.

brndnstffrd

Would love to join this Beta group, but I don't use Facebook. Is there any other way to get any of this, such as emailing customer support. or whoever the current product rep on here is, etc?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Would love to join this Beta group, but I don't use Facebook. Is there any other way to get any of this, such as emailing customer support. or whoever the current product rep on here is, etc?
Not that I'm aware of, just through the private FB group

dhalbasch

Premium Subscriber
I was running 1.40 but reverted to 1.33, trying to program with 4.0.30 won't work. Getting and error message. It will read it but wont program.

Reconrider

I was running 1.40 but reverted to 1.33, trying to program with 4.0.30 won't work. Getting and error message. It will read it but wont program.
You have to use 3.17beta12 I believe for it to work on 1.40.
Find the files in my signature, and go through them and see what one works. One or two of them will work.