KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't think anyone cares about exactly where the Ft. Meyers area ranks in the size of media markets. The OP was inquiring about stringer jobs, not market sizes. While I brought up the market size thing, my intent was to show that Ft. Myers is large enough such that he's SOL out of luck.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am in Seminole county. There is very little media coverage out here. The "action" is in Orlando. Yet stuff happens out here that never makes the new cycle. One night some guy walks up to our local PD having just been shot right out in front. No mention whatsoever in the news.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I am in Seminole county. There is very little media coverage out here. The "action" is in Orlando. Yet stuff happens out here that never makes the new cycle. One night some guy walks up to our local PD having just been shot right out in front. No mention whatsoever in the news.
Judging from the number of shootings occurring nowadays, I'm not sure it's even considered news anymore.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If the stuff heard on our local scanner made the news, it wouldn't seem like a "nice little community" anymore even tho they're somewhat "isolated incidents". like the sheriff in Rambo, "the community pays me to keep things quiet"

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hi all,

As someone who enjoys stringing in their free time, I recently started to become rather serious about this and I was wondering if this is truly something I could pursue professionally in my area?
In today's crazy high crime climate and stressed out LE suffering from PTSD I wouldn't go anywhere near a crime scene or LE when they're doing their job! Shootouts with dozens of bullets flying in all directions happen in the blink of an eye, totally unexpected, sometimes for no known reason. You could become collateral damage or dead very easily.

RFI-EMI-GUY

In today's crazy high crime climate and stressed out LE suffering from PTSD I wouldn't go anywhere near a crime scene or LE when they're doing their job! Shootouts with dozens of bullets flying in all directions happen in the blink of an eye, totally unexpected, sometimes for no known reason. You could become collateral damage or dead very easily.
well that is unfortunately true. Eight cops unloading 15 bullets each seems to be the solution de-jour.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Do you know why?

There are multiple factors as to why LE may shoot more rounds now:

Mental illness - organic and otherwise. When the brain function is impeded or limited, it can and does affect the limbic system and how the brain processes these signals.

Alcohol - abuse of alcohol is a CNS depressant and affects pain signaling in the brain.

Pharmaceutical abuse - legal prescription drugs and/or illicit drugs. Most often seen in the street as poly-pharmaceutical abuse. Taking multiple drugs can provide unpredictable results, such as highly increased resistance to pain compliance techniques such as hands on restraints and strikes, batons, Tasers, and even firearms. Look up cocaine psychosis, methamphetamine intoxication, etc.

Organic and imparted brain conditions such as chronic traumatic encephalopathy [see high impact sports or combat veterans], dementia, Lewy body syndrome, Alzheimer disease, Creutzfeld-Jakob diseases [traditional and new variant], lack of emotional development and rage syndrome.

OC spray does not work on everyone [genetic reasons], nor do Tasers when one or a combination of the above are present. Baton use is discouraged because of Rodney King and the ASP baton is frankly a gimmick that is poorly constructed.

The only thing that works is exsanguination [this can take many minutes] or a destruction of the brain stem through precision ballistic means. Anyone who has hunted big game and shot an animal with a high powered rifle in the lungs or the heart knows that they have to be prepared to track a running wounded animal for upwards of a mile when the animal runs after being shot.

Plenty of combat veterans of Iraq can attest to some suicide vest bombers living for minutes after triggering their explosives ~ one kilo worth. It can blow apart the abdomen and lower torso, but the arms can still function and some have crawled a short distance away.

No firearm is a guaranteed killing machine - I've personally worked a man who was 'zippered' with seven AK rifle rounds from sternum to upper leg; including several chest, abdomen, and pelvic wounds. He lived from the incident, through first aid, through FD/EMS arrival/treatment/transport by ground ambo to the hospital where he eventually died on the operating table. Around 40 minutes total and he fought my efforts at first aid. I've personally seen self inflicted shotgun wounds to the head that were not instantly fatal.

This is why cops are taught to shoot until the threat stops and why it can take more than one round.

Until some incredibly smart person or persons invents the Star Trek phaser where the body is literally disintegrated molecullarly, it is not going to get better.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
keep this thread on target, please. LEO responses and mental health, etc. have nothing to do with OPs post.
Sorry. My post wasn't meant to be critical of LE. It was meant to help fellow scanner monitors to understand why it's important not to cause distractions and interference.