Pro-668: Pro-668 DMR upgrade (unofficial firmware)

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
True Statement you can send it back to Whistler to get the Official upgrade that is legal and you can update.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.

:) And, IF you do 'brick' it, it'll cost a few bucks more to 'Fix' it (read a few posts about it, and the Whistler legacy upgrade page). Good luck :)

So what im understanding is if I do brick it and i dont really plan on doing it I would need to send it in to Whistler will do the upgrade for a price I think 99.00 dollar is this right or not..........

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So what im understanding is if I do brick it and i dont really plan on doing it I would need to send it in to Whistler will do the upgrade for a price I think 99.00 dollar is this right or not..........

Actually, if you brick it the cost is $129.99, the 99.99 is if unauthorized firmware installed, but not bricked.

Doing the modification will unlock DMR but still won't allow you FW upgrades, DSD upgrades or direct access through the EZ Scan database which you can update weekly. For the $70 you will think you have a new and improved radio, I've done two of my radios and was very surprised how much better they performed afterwards.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Actually, if you brick it the cost is $129.99, the 99.99 is if unauthorized firmware installed, but not bricked.

Doing the modification will unlock DMR but still won't allow you FW upgrades, DSD upgrades or direct access through the EZ Scan database which you can update weekly. For the $70 you will think you have a new and improved radio, I've done two of my radios and was very surprised how much better they performed afterwards.

Thanks for reply understand I think i will send it in its not bricked .......

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for reply understand I think i will send it in its not bricked .......
I have a PSR-800 that I'd installed the hacked firmware on.
When Whistler came out with the kill code, I made sure my 800 couldn't take any updates.
I didn't use my 800 much however but I did want the newer features and benefits the newer official FW offered so I flashed mine back to the last available official FW version that was offered for the PSR800 and sent it off to Whistler.
They upgraded it but when they sent it back, the package it was in was totally torn and busted open! Inside the flaps of loose cardboard, I could see my PSR800 was still in there. Luckily they had wrapped a hunk of a saran wrap material around the scanner body and an inner part of the odd shaped cardboard thing they shipped it back to me in. I was really amazed their was a scanner in what was left of the thing they shipped it in!
I wish I'd have taken a picture but I was more worried if the thing would even still work.

It was not physically damaged and nothing was missing as I'd removed Everything including the battery door and belt clip and SD card of course.
It still works fine to this day and I sometimes use it when none of my Uniden models want to behave correctly on some of the oddball DMR systems near me.
I can't use it here for the simulcast P25 systems. The TRX2 also suffers badly with the simulcast P25 systems here.

The upgrade from Whistler was worth it for me as I think most agree with.
Had I left the battery door on the scanner, it would have probably fallen off and fell out of what was left of the wide open box and lost forever.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I have a PSR-800 that I'd installed the hacked firmware on.
When Whistler came out with the kill code, I made sure my 800 couldn't take any updates.
I didn't use my 800 much however but I did want the newer features and benefits the newer official FW offered so I flashed mine back to the last available official FE version that was offered for the PSR800 and sent it off to Whistler.
They upgraded it but when they sent it back, the package it was in was totally torn and busted open! Inside the flaps of loose cardboard, I could see my PSR800 was still in there. Luckily they had wrapped a hunk of a saran wrap material around the scanner body and an inner part of the odd shaped cardboard thing they shipped it back to me in. I was really amazed their was a scanner in what was left of the thing they shipped it in!
I wish I'd have taken a picture but I was more worried if the thing would even still work.

It was not physically damaged and nothing was missing as I'd removed Everything including the battery door and belt clip and SD card of course.
It still works fine to this day and I sometimes use it when none of my Uniden models want to behave correctly on some of the oddball DMR systems near me.
It also works great for NXDN as well but I can't use it here for the simulcast P25 systems.

The upgrade from Whistler was worth it for me as I think most agree with.
Had I left the battery door on the scanner, it would have probably fallen off and fell out of what was left of the wide open box and lost forever.

How did you get yours to decode NXDN??

kruser

Premium Subscriber
How did you get yours to decode NXDN??
Good question!!
I need to look at some of my many radios programming files as I'm probably thinking about some other radio I have. Old age is for the birds.

Edit: Yep, I was looking at the programming for my TRX2 which I use side by side with the old PSR800 when I use a GRE or Whistler branded model.
Thanks for catching that mistake of mine! I was still able to edit and remove the mention of NXDN from my earlier post.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Good question!!
I need to look at some of my many radios programming files as I'm probably thinking about some other radio I have. Old age is for the birds.

Edit: Yep, I was looking at the programming for my TRX2 which I use side by side with the old PSR800 when I use a GRE or Whistler branded model.
Thanks for catching that mistake of mine! I was still able to edit and remove the mention of NXDN from my earlier post.

I thought I got cheated or something.

XVCham

Another radio dude

Oh I forgot this thread was still active and I’m glad it is. For clarification sake, my scanner is going strong. Been using it to primarily monitor SAR (DMR, NXDN through IF).

Modification to the scanner does allow the user to use EZ Scan and the library function (I’ve been using EZ Scan to program my scanner + updating the library) While it does let you update fw and dsp, doing so will obviously brick your radio.

I personally chose not to send it to whistler because 1. I didn’t brick my scanner 2. I don’t need the new features even though they are nice 3. Because I’m in Canada, sending it to whistler and back would cost me as much as I paid for the scanner. For those reasons, I did not choose to send it. Still works great, been using it to update RR database with helpful information as well :)

stlouisx50

II
how do you get the scanner to display this information, think its a startup key press but have forgotten how to do it
I am not sure, but think I figured it out . I powered on and kept hitting menu.

If anyone can help me get the unofficial DMR upgrade, I'd sure appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230115_153452.jpg
    IMG_20230115_153452.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 11

XVCham

Another radio dude
Do I need to update to a higher version first, then do the update? The photo I posted above is my current versions

I wouldn’t risk updating anything, just update via the modification software. If you can’t find the software needed, I can try digging for my files.