• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming a BPR40 (Mag One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertedmund67

BPR40 Programming Problems

Hello,
I have two computers, XP and Win 7 64-bit both did no success. My main concern is the cable, some said that the same cable that programs the Motorola CP200 will do the programming to BPR40 while others said no, or cannot. But I will try again on my XP computer. Thank you

Bert

bertedmund67

Thanks everybody that answered to my thread, it is worthwhile to do a research for anything that you do not know. I came to the conclusion that BPR40 uses a different programming cable, cables for CP200 and others will not work.

Bert

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I've been forced to program those little..."radios" (I use the term loosely and consider them to be an embarrassment to the Motorola name) for over six years. By now I should know which cable they use and what works and what doesn't.

It's really nice that you finally came to the conclusion that experienced professionals have been telling you for two pages now. :D

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
I agree Elroy. Some would do better to by those little camping radios. How many filters have you gone through to narrowband those little crap nuggets?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
Hundreds. Literally hundreds. Possibly more than a thousand.

They NEVER meet reasonable sensitivity specs (often being a good 10 db deaf compared to even an HYT/Hytera radio) and power output is all over the place.

Worst of all, WTF is Motorola doing selling a radio in 2013 that actually requires you to use diddle sticks to adjust it? That went out of style in the 80s.

Incidentally, I find that both wideband and narrowband filters are affected by the corrosion problem, not just the narrowband filters. I usually replace both at once. Since the filters run in series in narrowband mode, if the wideband filter is bad, and the narrowband filter is good, the result will still be crap.

I strongly discourage people from buying BPR40s.

I was against HYT/Hytera radios until I got some across the bench. I'd take any HYT radio over a BPR40, any day of the week. The HYTs meet GOOD specs and have very good audio quality.

Kf4mnc

Hundreds. Literally hundreds. Possibly more than a thousand.

They NEVER meet reasonable sensitivity specs (often being a good 10 db deaf compared to even an HYT/Hytera radio) and power output is all over the place.

Worst of all, WTF is Motorola doing selling a radio in 2013 that actually requires you to use diddle sticks to adjust it? That went out of style in the 80s.

Incidentally, I find that both wideband and narrowband filters are affected by the corrosion problem, not just the narrowband filters. I usually replace both at once. Since the filters run in series in narrowband mode, if the wideband filter is bad, and the narrowband filter is good, the result will still be crap.

I strongly discourage people from buying BPR40s.

I was against HYT/Hytera radios until I got some across the bench. I'd take any HYT radio over a BPR40, any day of the week. The HYTs meet GOOD specs and have very good audio quality.

Elroy interesting comments. We have about 20 bpr 40 radios and they are all slowly dieing generally due to a deaf receiver or low transmit power. We are very easy on radios. Our wonderful dealer just keeps saying how great these little gems are and how they are one of the best selling motorola radios. They then happily offer to repair them for over half of the price of a new radio. When we complain they recommend the cp200 which is almost double the cost.

Needless to say we are switching vendors and moving to a vertex standard evg 534 radio that has three time the warranty, operates in analog and digital, and can be had for the same price of the cp200.

We know we are taking a risk on a relatively new product, but we mainly want to get away from the bpr40 and that crummy dealer and not break the bank.

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
FYI, the parts cost on the two filters that need replacing is about 6 dollars for the pair. That's cost to the customer, not dealer cost.

It takes half an hour to change out both filters if you haven't done it before.

With experience, maybe 15 minutes.

You DO have to be careful not to accidentally knock any surface mounted components off the board or displace them as some are very close to the pins that have to be desoldered to get the old filter out.

FAIR cost to replace both filters should be half an hour's labor and 6 dollars parts.

Any more than that and you're being ripped off.

cifd64

Premium Subscriber
I agree, the CP200 is replacing the BagOne's. I have a few customers asking me to fix and service them, I push the CP's. Ill even take the commission hit just so i dont have to deal with BPRs anymore.

ALYBLUEYZ

Steve,
I have a mod # AZH84RCC8AA3, 16 ch, UHF, and need programming instructions DETAILED, & easy enough for a simpleton to do...
I have the cable and the "driver" cd coming, & the guy who sold it to me on ebay said the cd WOULD allow me to get the frequencies off of my 1st (programmed) radio, and then I could program my other (new) PRB40...
Could it be the "programming" IS on the CD even though it was advertised as "without"?
Thanks guys for any assistance you can offer...
Alyssa

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
If the model number of the two radios is not IDENTICAL, then you can not just read from one and write to the other. In that case you would have to remake your file.

The BPR40 software is about as simple as it gets. I do not believe that you need it laid out for you in detail. It's only slightly more complicated than brushing your teeth or combing your hair.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have a mod # AZH84RCC8AA3, 16 ch, UHF, and need programming instructions DETAILED, & easy enough for a simpleton to do...
I have the cable and the "driver" cd coming, & the guy who sold it to me on ebay said the cd WOULD allow me to get the frequencies off of my 1st (programmed) radio, and then I could program my other (new) PRB40...
Could it be the "programming" IS on the CD even though it was advertised as "without"?
If the CD that comes with the cable is about 3.25" in diameter then it only contains drivers for the USB. You will need the CPS to program the radio. Please read over this thread from the beginning as it contains information about properly obtaining the CPS.

FWIW, if you only need to program the radio one time, then taking it to a shop and paying the programming fee is a much more economical solution. Typical programming fees should run about $30 for a conventional radio. Since the CPS is currently $265 from Motorola, paying to have it programmed makes much more sense.

ALYBLUEYZ

Sorry guys, I didn't know HOW to ask questions on the subject board, (or what ever its called) as I'm new to this.
I think its a good idea as well to pay for the programming... LOTS CHEAPER!

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
ok how do i do it is there a free program i need

Read this entire thread again.

Then read the sticky at the top of the Motorola forum page regarding software (linked here so you can easily find it if "top of the page" is unclear to you):

http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/74748-you-looking-free-programming-software.html

There is no free software for programming the BPR40/Mag One radios. It is $265 from Motorola plus you need the proper cable to connect the radio to your computer. And, as we've pointed out again and again, programming radios properly takes time and experience to learn how to do. There is a steep learning curve in part because the software is not particularly intuitive or user friendly. As previously recommended, take it to a Motorola shop and for about $30 they'll set it up for you correctly. Be prepared to show an FCC license or letter of authorization for any Part 90 frequencies that you want programmed. Same for most other frequencies.

VSTech

Software

Nice thing about Vertex Standard, all software (clone editor, soft copy service manuals, & firmware updates) are free.
businessonline.vertexstandard.com
Resource Center>Resource Center>Technical Information

Status
Not open for further replies.