• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radioddity Radioddity GD-77

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas440

Call sign and name on screen

Another thing I notice on my GD 77 is that when I'm talking in a group, the incoming station does not have call sign or name on it it only displays the radios' ID number in my display. Other DMR radios show you the call sign and name of the person. Is this normal for this radio? Or am I missing some settings in the software? I haven't seen any. My radio is registered with the DMR Marc system for it's ID number and others see my call sign when I'm talking they see it on the display but they are using TYT and Motorola's....The GD 77 works, and it' ok for an entry level but I think I'm better off going with a high end dual band DMR that does what it's supposed to do... More and more I'm looking at this GD 77 as an analogue dual band HT more than a DMR radio... They need a lot more bug fixing...

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Another thing I notice on my GD 77 is that when I'm talking in a group, the incoming station does not have call sign or name on it it only displays the radios' ID number in my display. Other DMR radios show you the call sign and name of the person.

NO DMR radio will automatically display the callsign and name of the contact. All that is ever sent is the ID number.

It is everyone's responsibility to populate their Contact list with the ID numbers, callsign, and name if they wish to see it.

However, the GD-77's supports a maximum of 1024 Contacts due to its limited memory.

razorseal

So far only Motorola, & Hytera radios support roaming. When you buy a DMR radio for under $100, it has few, if any features. By spending more, you get more. Just like buying a car, or anything really.

I hear ya. I found a Hytera PD782-U2 on ebay for 250 bucks, so I just purchased it... at 95 dollars, I might just keep the UD-77 to replace my recently broken wouxun HT. it'll work as my dual band... I'll keep the hytera with me. There are only few 2m DMRs here, seems like I can get away with UHF in most places.

I really like the roaming function, so hopefully I can figure out how to program that.

Bill1957

GD-77 With Shark RF openspot

Hi,
Has anyone tried to use the GD77 with a openspot? Can't get mine to transmit to the openspot. It will receive
on talkgroups, but not transmit through the openspot. All other radios, Motorola xpr's and TYT MD380 work fine.My openspot is in the simplex mode. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Bill

Astro_Spectra

I have used the GD-77 with the SharkRF openSPOT on simplex and had no problems. Can you post your XPR channel settings and GD-77 settings side?

razorseal

Just got mine in and put in the local repeater in. Trying to figure out how this thing works. I was able to get some chat on the north america talkgroup. pretty neat to talk to someone in Cali when I'm in FL.

someone told me with the MD380 you can download the callsign database so the person's location, name and callsign shows up. Can this be done with the GD-77? (or my Hytera PD682 that's arriving tomorrow?)

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The GD-77 only supports 256 contacts so not very many ID, Name entries may be added. Best to save those 256 spaces for TG information.

Astro_Spectra

Reviewing the various posts in this thread I think it is important to understand what we're dealing with here.

This is a very low cost radio.

So low that it costs less than essentially any of the accessories for a Motorola 'TRBO radio. Nevertheless those with a history of DMR operation and buying high end radios will appreciate the GD-77 is a real bargain, particularly given the dual band operation.

Best to save those 256 spaces for TG information.

N4GIX is right here. While memory is cheap, ever extra cent in build cost is important at this price point. So yes there are limits to what can be done. I have the names of a few buddies in the contacts but use the rest for talk groups. This is the sort of compromise that needs to be made here.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
GD-77

I am very happy with my GD-77 for being dual band at a very reasonable price. Receive audio is very good, and transmit is also good. If you need more contacts, look at the CS750 with 65.280. It costs about two and a half times more but is single band.

razorseal

I've been messing with this thing for a day and it sure if a nice unit. I mean just few years ago when I got my license, I got a wouxun dual band analog radio for 100 something dollars. It was just a handheld radio to keep with me.

6 years have passed, and I would say chinese radio quality is slightly better, but look how much price has come down. You can get an analog baofeng for 35 dollars and they do the job for the likes of us.

Then you have the budget DMR radios from TYT, CS and radioddity that cost around 100 dollars for just UHF.

and you have this thing for 95 dollars that dual bands (and does it very well) and lets you get on DMR.

At this price point, You might as well spend the 30 extra dollars and get one of these instead of a Chinese analog only radio.

I'm very happy with my purchase. I will keep this around for sure. I have my analog repeaters programmed in and some DMR stuff.

I wouldn't mind paying just a little extra though for more memory and hopefully someone can do something like MD380 tools where we can put in worldwide callsign db etc.

I'd say my only problem so far is how to structure my zones>channels etc... I don't think that's a GD-77 thing though. I can't figure out how to put all my channels (which really change based on where I'm at) into a zone with all the talkgroups. I'm limited by 16 channels in a zone, so when I put in the common talkgroups (WW, NA, 311, 310, FL, FL SE Regional, and local stuff) I run out of channels by the time I have 2 repeaters programmed in.

razorseal

so my PD682 came in and I've been comparing the two. I've asked few people on the net, asking which radio sounds better, and people can't distinguish the difference between the a 400 dollar Hytera vs a 95 dollar GP-77

on receive, the hytera is slightly cleaner (there is a very slight hiss on the GD-77 that I never noticed until the hytera) and listening to myself on hoseline, the quality ever so slightly better, but overall the GD-77 is great rx/tx wise.

sensitivity is just about the same. at work I'm barely picking up the nearest DMR receiver, and both open up at the same time if they do.

Great purchase. I think this is going to sell like hot cakes

n1das

NO DMR radio will automatically display the callsign and name of the contact. All that is ever sent is the ID number.

It is everyone's responsibility to populate their Contact list with the ID numbers, callsign, and name if they wish to see it.

However, the GD-77's supports a maximum of 1024 Contacts due to its limited memory.

Not quite true. Hytera DMR radios can send the contact alias with the radio ID number to another Hytera DMR radio. The receiving Hytera radio can also be programmed to update the alias of an existing contact in the contact list with the new alias that was received.

So YES, it is possible but it's probably a manufacturer specific feature. I know it works on Hyteras because I've sent the alias of a contact from one Hytera radio (PD982) to another Hytera radio (PD782) and it displayed the new alias and updated its own contact list with the new alias for an existing contact. My Hytera dealer and I experimented with this feature and got it to work.

I have a Radioddity GD-77 on order and due to be delivered this weekend. :)

Last edited:

razorseal

Not quite true. Hytera DMR radios can send the contact alias with the radio ID number to another Hytera DMR radio. The receiving Hytera radio can also be programmed to update the alias of an existing contact in the contact list with the new alias that was received.

So YES, it is possible but it's probably a manufacturer specific feature. I know it works on Hyteras because I've sent the alias of a contact from one Hytera radio (PD982) to another Hytera radio (PD782) and it displayed the new alias and updated its own contact list with the new alias for an existing contact. My Hytera dealer and I experimented with this feature and got it to work.

I have a Radioddity GD-77 on order and due to be delivered this weekend. :)

Wonder if that's something you turn on because I did not see any IDs, I'm sure I spoke to a hytera owner.

n1das

Wonder if that's something you turn on because I did not see any IDs, I'm sure I spoke to a hytera owner.
It's one of the standard built-in features. It is on one of screens pertaining to digital operation.

I'm not expecting my GD-77 to have the features that my Hyteras have and it's not a replacement for them either. The GD-77 will simply become one of my low end beater radios.

razorseal

It's one of the standard built-in features. It is on one of screens pertaining to digital operation.

I'm not expecting my GD-77 to have the features that my Hyteras have and it's not a replacement for them either. The GD-77 will simply become one of my low end beater radios.

Ah. Does the repeater have to he hytera too? I never saw anyone's alias when talking I'm sure I've talked to a couple hytera radios

When I left the house today, I contemplated which radio to take w me. I took the hytera because it's the "more expensive" radio. But the gd 77 sure makes me think lol.

n1das

My GD-77 was waiting for me at my front door when I arrived home last night. I charged the battery up and started playing with the radio. I can tell it's a cheap radio but it will get the job done.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nicholas440

Great Radio

Well, an update of my opinion for this GD 77... My radio is working well, and I've got some Analogue repeaters put in so I only need to carry this one radio. I think for the price it's a good radio, it lacks the ability to have a huge contact list and some other minor things that the high priced radios have but overall the GD 77 has good audio, and the transmit audio reports are good too. One nice thing about the GD 77 is that the antenna post isnt breaking off like they are on that $200 TYT 2017 dual band DMR radio. I've read a lot of reviews on that one, and now TYT is shipping spare antenna posts in case you bought one and your antenna just came off. They even posted a video on how to take the TYT apart, and solder in a new antenna post, it's not a very easy fix either. So I'm glad I picked up the GD 77, matter of fact I bought 2 of them, at $86 you really can't go wrong. I look at them kind of like the "Baofeng of DMR " radios. They are inexpensive, the quality is ok, and they work. My firmware is still the original, I've tried to update it but still get an error each time using Windows 8.1 so I'll keep working on that issue....

bjornepappa

I ordered a 2-pack of these radios for C $ 19.99 a couple of days ago. I really expected some kind of mail that the price was incorrect and that the order was canceled.
But today I got a mail that they were shipped!
The item is ofcourse sold out now.
Is there something written in small letters I havent seen?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Radioddity-G...e-Talkie-2x-/282667480393?txnId=1733108513018

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.