RF grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8eke

Hi All, First, I'm pretty much home-bound due to the virus so I've decided to buy a VHF/UHF mobile and begin to build out a station eventually upgrading and relocating the mobile to my car. But, I also plan to sell my house next spring so I do not want to mount an exterior antenna. I'm likely to buy a FTM-300 and a power supply real soon. My questions are related to grounding. Initially I will use a mobile mag mount antenna (since that's what I have) in my house to learn the radio... Do I need to do anything more than have a 1/4 ground plain for this type of antenna? Eventually I will likely by a Diamond x50a and place it upstairs in a spare bedroom (until I move). Do I need to ground this interior located antenna and/or coax to a grounding rod? If I do, will I create a ground loop if it doesn't go to the utility ground? As always, Thank you.

W5lz

No, you don't have to ground your indoor antenna, it's already grounded through the feedline. In most cases, thats true for outdoor antennas too. Your mag-mount antenna may be an exception to that 'grounding' thing, as in the metal the magnet is also used as -part- if the antenna, it's "other-half". Set that mag-mount on something metal, a metal desk, refrigerator, whatever. You wont have an absolutely fabulous antenna but it'll work...

Status
Not open for further replies.