salisbury p 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4UXQ

Bad Decode with BCD396XT

I programmed this system with a download from RR into FreeScan. With full scale signal strength at multiple locations in the southern end of the county, decode is sometimes perfect but most often error rates of 60 or higher and very garbled sitting in the same spot with full scale RSS. I get great decodes most of the time on the Viper P25 system even with marginal RSS. Any advise on settings?

Thanks,

Harold

KM4WLV

I programmed this system with a download from RR into FreeScan. With full scale signal strength at multiple locations in the southern end of the county, decode is sometimes perfect but most often error rates of 60 or higher and very garbled sitting in the same spot with full scale RSS. I get great decodes most of the time on the Viper P25 system even with marginal RSS. Any advise on settings?

Thanks,

Harold

There are spots where it's still buggy, especially on the southern end of the county. I get decent coverage on my 396XT with stubby antenna while in China Grove and Landis, & some spots in Kannapolis. There was an article in the Salisbury Post today where they've finished construction on the southern tower for the system, which is behind Station 82 on Hwy 152 West, just a few miles from China Grove. This will provide ample coverage for China Grove, Landis, Atwell, Enochville, West Rowan (into Mooresville), etc.

Once the VIPER tower on Catfish Rd is finished in High Rock area (Pooletown, Richfield, etc) and the county co-locates on that tower it will give superb coverage for the P-25 system. The two sites active right now are Al's Knob in Granite Quarry, which was the original tower site for the analog system in 1989, and the other site is on Young's Mountain in Cleveland (western Rowan County).

I'd leave your settings as is for now. It's going to get better soon.

KD4UXQ

There are spots where it's still buggy, especially on the southern end of the county. I get decent coverage on my 396XT with stubby antenna while in China Grove and Landis, & some spots in Kannapolis. There was an article in the Salisbury Post today where they've finished construction on the southern tower for the system, which is behind Station 82 on Hwy 152 West, just a few miles from China Grove. This will provide ample coverage for China Grove, Landis, Atwell, Enochville, West Rowan (into Mooresville), etc.

Once the VIPER tower on Catfish Rd is finished in High Rock area (Pooletown, Richfield, etc) and the county co-locates on that tower it will give superb coverage for the P-25 system. The two sites active right now are Al's Knob in Granite Quarry, which was the original tower site for the analog system in 1989, and the other site is on Young's Mountain in Cleveland (western Rowan County).

I'd leave your settings as is for now. It's going to get better soon.

Thanks much for the heads up. The analog system has always been spotty for me along I85 between exit 68 and 63, but very good at home. I did find one spot at home last night where reception was better. Is re-banding still going to occur? I imagine that will help too. I have been in some places where the analog system got squashed by interference.

Thanks!

KM4WLV

Thanks much for the heads up. The analog system has always been spotty for me along I85 between exit 68 and 63, but very good at home. I did find one spot at home last night where reception was better. Is re-banding still going to occur? I imagine that will help too. I have been in some places where the analog system got squashed by interference.

Thanks!

Re-Banding already happened here in Rowan. We didn't 'technically" have anything that had to be rebanded but there were a few frequencies that we had above 860 that we gave up & got a few in return.

I always had spotty reception with the analog and P-25 systems anywhere on 85 between the 68 & 63 exits, whether it was a mobile, or portable. Motorola radio or any brand scanner. If you look at a topo map you're actually in a sort of "valley" through there. If you listen, especially on county fire, mainly Bostian Heights and/or Mt. Mitchell (Sta. 41 & 79), or watch on something like Unitrunker, you'll notice they almost always use mobiles through there. This new tower on 152 should help this out substantially.

KD4UXQ

Re-Banding already happened here in Rowan. We didn't 'technically" have anything that had to be rebanded but there were a few frequencies that we had above 860 that we gave up & got a few in return.

I always had spotty reception with the analog and P-25 systems anywhere on 85 between the 68 & 63 exits, whether it was a mobile, or portable. Motorola radio or any brand scanner. If you look at a topo map you're actually in a sort of "valley" through there. If you listen, especially on county fire, mainly Bostian Heights and/or Mt. Mitchell (Sta. 41 & 79), or watch on something like Unitrunker, you'll notice they almost always use mobiles through there. This new tower on 152 should help this out substantially.

I didn't realize re-banding was done already. I can see that now. I suppose I should have paid closer attention to the frequencies. I was just plugging along updating via RR. And honestly I have not done any recent monitoring that I can remember in the Salisbury area where I used to get interference. I suppose I assumed there was still some interference affecting P25 now. Looking forward to the new sites being on the air. My home QTH is higher in elevation than many surrounding areas at ~850ft so I am lucky to get better reception, but from there heading back towards 85 it gets much worse.

Thanks again!

KM4WLV

I didn't realize re-banding was done already. I can see that now. I suppose I should have paid closer attention to the frequencies. I was just plugging along updating via RR. And honestly I have not done any recent monitoring that I can remember in the Salisbury area where I used to get interference. I suppose I assumed there was still some interference affecting P25 now. Looking forward to the new sites being on the air. My home QTH is higher in elevation than many surrounding areas at ~850ft so I am lucky to get better reception, but from there heading back towards 85 it gets much worse.

Thanks again!

Glad to help. Feel free to drop me a note if you've ever got more questions about the system here or in a PM either one. Have a great day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.