San Francisco Public Safety going Digital June 2021

Outerdog

T¹ ÆS Ø
Premium Subscriber
Having promised the public access to dispatches etc on unencrypted channels,

Did they actually make that promise? Or are you referring to that article which made that promise for them?

resnickm

👨‍💻 📡 🚑
Premium Subscriber

KD6JEK

I can tell you that they have been talking about switching over for the past couple of months. What I don't understand is that Fire, Rec & Park, SF State PD, and UCSF PD are still on the old analog CERS system with SF State and UCSF being partially encrypted. They are also broadcasting on the new Digital system as well except for SFPD. Hopefully, they follow through with their promise of broadcasting the initial dispatches on the unencrypted A1, A3, A5, and A7 channels and the disposition of the incidents.

officer_415

Database Admin
I believe most of the users have switched over to the new system, and the traffic you mentioned on the old system is just being patched. I suspect the old system will probably be shut down soon.

nokoa3116

I am seeing reports that the Type 2 system is no longer being patched with SFPD, anyone able to confirm?

resnickm

👨‍💻 📡 🚑
Premium Subscriber
I wrote the Media Relations sergeant to see when they were going to follow their commitment as outlined in the media advisory. We will see.

I had the same thought earlier and reached out as well, to their PIO. I imagine that a number of media outlets will hoot and holler, which they'll have to respond to sooner than later 🤞. Hopefully it'll be a quick solve, but why do I get the feeling it's not....

rustyhodge

I like to listen
Premium Subscriber
[Correction/Update: This is our analog system scanner feed; we don't have a digital feed up yet, but that does seem so far like all PD is encrypted now.]

SomaFM's "plain" scanner feed is down (since yesterday) due to a technical issue with an encoder at our datacenter that should be fixed by Friday at the latest. You can still hear the scanner traffic mixed with music on our "SF-1033" channel.

(I have to go to the datacenter to fix the encoder and a few other things that got botched when we remotely upgraded some network gear to patch for the log4j exploit going around)

Last edited:

KD6JEK

I noticed that there is some very sporadic PD traffic on the old analog (CERS) system, but it's just dispatch and it's very brief. Nothing yet on the P25 system.

resnickm

👨‍💻 📡 🚑
Premium Subscriber
A source did clarify that yes, their intention is to have dispatches in the clear, and that they are in fact sorting out some technical things on their end. Personally, I'm not holding my breath for more details or a quick resolution, but at least it seems like this isn't permanent or intentional.

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
It would be nice if they broadcast the A and B priority calls on A11 much like the old LAPD Tac 1 where you would hear the initial dispatches citywide…

Haha if SFPD gets a HOTSHOT / “AIR/K9” channel like LAPD that would be fantastic. I would still be most in favor of one or more encrypted citywide Service / Records talkgroups to run DLs and PII (which would comply with the DOJ mandate), but that would upend their decades of precedent using the Mobile/Portable channel pairs.

KD6JEK

SFPD used to always broadcast their "A" priority calls on A-11 since the 4-Boys (solos) were always on A-11. While it would make sense to run people on a citywide encrypted channel, it probably isn't prudent from an Officer Safety standpoint to be changing channels on their radios when dealing with suspects. Hopefully, they stand by their word of broadcasting dispatches in the clear and do it sooner rather than later.