Sault Sainte Marie Michigan, Chippewa County

Status
Not open for further replies.
s there anyone that lives in this area that could help me program my Pro 96 scanner? I would really appreciate any help. Radio Shack said it was programed but fire truck & police care & ambulances go by my house & I hear nothing on the scanner. I got the scanner frequencies for my area off this website & manualy programed them in but I have not heard anything on my scanner & I did that last night. It is true I do live in a small town and not a lot happens hear but I feel I should have hears something by now. I have the extra long black antenna, the cable to program things from my computer and I installed the Win96 program. I would pay someone that lives in my area to just program this darn thing so I can start enjoying it.

Thanks for your time, Danielle

July 7 update-
I orriginally posted this in the wrong section so I am moving it to the Michigan area. Since I made this post I have received a lot of help from FMON. I am now up and running with my scanner, & I appreciate all the help Frank gave me. I am experiencing a couple problems and was wondering what to do about it. On one station I pick up the sound is all garbled & blurry sounding. Is there something I can do to get that sound in clearer? Also how do I know that one of the frequencies are no longer working and they have changed to another channer? I would no longer be able to get that channel, right? How would I go about finding out where they moved to? And one last thing. If I want a peticular station to have priority, I just hit the priority button for that channel, right? Then that peticular channel would have priority over all the other channel, is this correct?
Thanks to any of you that take the time to help me out. I am sorry I keep making posts looking for answers my questions and am not contributing to others that are having difficulties. Hopefully someday I can help someone out the way I have been helped.

Greetings, Danielle

seamusg

daniellerobinette said:
July 7 update-
I am experiencing a couple problems and was wondering what to do about it. On one station I pick up the sound is all garbled & blurry sounding. Is there something I can do to get that sound in clearer? Also how do I know that one of the frequencies are no longer working and they have changed to another channer? I would no longer be able to get that channel, right? How would I go about finding out where they moved to? And one last thing. If I want a peticular station to have priority, I just hit the priority button for that channel, right? Then that peticular channel would have priority over all the other channel, is this correct?
Thanks to any of you that take the time to help me out. I am sorry I keep making posts looking for answers my questions and am not contributing to others that are having difficulties. Hopefully someday I can help someone out the way I have been helped.

Greetings, Danielle
There is no sound adjustment on the PRO96. The setup Frank gave you has 5 MPSCS sites in bank 0 and the conventional channels in bank 1. Per the notes in the Chippewa Co. database 'Most law enforcement communications in Chippewa county are on the MPSCS TRS. Analog is only used when the digital system is down, not in range, or during big events when they run out of digital radios.' , so youwon't hear much on bank 1. You can't use priority on a trunked system, only conventional. As for the garbled transmissions, that's usually a radio that is in a bad spot and not getting to the tower, digital radios are like cell phones if they are in a bad spot their transmissions break up. Or it could be encrypted, which you can't receive. To be notified of changes to systems, you can set a watch for the system or county in the database here. The only problem with setting a watch on MPSCS is it's size and it's always changing. You would have to be able to tell if the changes were for your area. On my RR home page I have a watch set for 5 trunk systems and 2 counties, of which MPSCS is almost always highlighted. The area I live in, Macomb Co., is a busy area. I normally run 2 scanners, one for conventional and one for trunked and digital. Also a third one (PRO96) for special events or for a portable. Keep the file Frank gave you, it's a good starting point. It takes time to learn all the features of these scanners. You can try other setups and play around with them, but always save the origional setup file, that way you can always put it back the way it was. Also is this garbled transmission on a MPSCS talk group or a conventional channel?

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Where are you in the soo? I find that the digital signal really drops off north of LSSU.

Well anything north of LSSU would be in the lake or in Canada. I live in town, in the Sault at the corner of Superior & Easterday streets. I get pretty much everything but am getting some garbled & static but am told that is normal. I am new to the Pro 96. Are you from the area? What do you listen to on your scanner? I would be interested to know what you are able to get.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I'm from downstate, but go to lssu. I live in the area of the Ryan St water tower.

I listen to SSM fire along with all other fire stuff in the county, digital MSP, border, SSM PD, sheriff, and LSSU. FRS is also amusing to listen to the freshmen trying to coordinate smuggling beer into Brady, all while trying to avoid PS or the RAs. Ah, only if they knew they have scanners too...

I have a hard time getting a digital signal on some spots on campus. I heard customs was complaining because the new fine arts building (I like to call it the monument to fiscal irresponsibility- but I digress) was blocking their digital signal. When I said north of LSSU I was talking about the Spruce and Eureka areas.

I had a Pro-96 but sold it to buy a BCD396t. I could send you a copy of my old programming file for the scanner.

That would be great!

WOW! I am so glad that there is someone else in this area for me to talk to about the scanners. It just seems that recently I have not been getting anything on my scanner. I mean I will hear nothing all day or all night. I dont know if I touched any buttons to mess something up or what the problem is. I would really appreciate your list. Frank had me all sutuated and I think I am going to have to get into contat with him again to help me out. The list that you have is it the same as the frequensies found on this website for Chippewa county? I am very new to the trunking scanners and basically a lost sole if it were not for Frank to help me out. You can email me the list at

[edited]

My husband works at the Post Office you could even drop it off there if that is conveneint for you. It is just great to have someone around here that knows about scanners.

Why did you sell your pro 96, if you dont mind me asking? Do you know if you get interference with the pro 96? I live in a VERY high tech house & have lots of gadgets & stuff. I think I may be getting interference with some of my electronics that may be effecting my scanner. Does this make sence or am I looking for a reason that I am not picking up much "traffic"?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you are willing to give. Great talking to you.

Danielle

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbluemsp

daniellerobinette said:
WOW! I am so glad that there is someone else in this area for me to talk to about the scanners. It just seems that recently I have not been getting anything on my scanner. I mean I will hear nothing all day or all night. I dont know if I touched any buttons to mess something up or what the problem is. I would really appreciate your list. Frank had me all sutuated and I think I am going to have to get into contat with him again to help me out. The list that you have is it the same as the frequensies found on this website for Chippewa county? I am very new to the trunking scanners and basically a lost sole if it were not for Frank to help me out. You can email me the list at
[edited]
My husband works at the Post Office you could even drop it off there if that is conveneint for you. It is just great to have someone around here that knows about scanners.

Why did you sell your pro 96, if you dont mind me asking? Do you know if you get interference with the pro 96? I live in a VERY high tech house & have lots of gadgets & stuff. I think I may be getting interference with some of my electronics that may be effecting my scanner. Does this make sence or am I looking for a reason that I am not picking up much "traffic"?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or information you are willing to give. Great talking to you.

Danielle

Danielle I wouldn't post your address on here. I would send him a private message with your addy on it

Last edited by a moderator:

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I'm currently home in Wayne County for the summer. I'll be moving back up in a few weeks for school.

PM me with your e-mail and I'll send the file out. Most of what I have can be found in the RR DB. I took a bunch of time to ID many of the unknown freqs for SSM / Chippewa Co. I also submited several new ones. I have my ways of finding things out. :wink:

I sold my Pro-96 because I really wanted the BCD396t (because of the features, bell/whistles, toys...). As a college student, I couldn't afford to have both. So I sold the 96 to pay for my new toy.

If you still need help, you may want to try the ham club in town. They meet at the church behind Nevill’s party store. I’m not sure when though; I think it’s usually Saturday mornings. I’ve been meaning to go and check them out but I tend to get scheduled to work then.

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Hi Danielle,

Open the Chippewa Co.p96 file, hook the scanner up and press Ctrl + D. This will download the setup from your scanner into a new (from scanner) file. See pic:

Review this file for any possible changes you may have inadvertently made to the scanner. Except for the red notes, your file should look like this pic with the Mot settings etc.

Check bullets 0 through 4 and insure no ID'd are locked out in each sub-bank.

If you find any inadvertent boxes checked, make corrections, save the file to a name desired and reload to scanner.

Last edited:
Thanks again Frank

Frank,
I finally made the time to sit down and look at your post and work on my scanner. I dont know what happened. After the last time you helped me everything was working great! I found myself in my jamas chasing fire trucks down the street at 3:00 am. My darn German Shepherd would'nt even go with me, guess he thought I was crazy...go figure. Anyway all of the sudden I was only getting a few things like the ambulance service & war memorial hospital and then some out of town stuff. I was getting no local police or fire any longer. To my knowledge I didnt touch anything but I dont know maybe I did. I uploaded all the information to my scanner again, was simple as can be. Tonight will be the test, being Friday night and all. I read the police & fire in the Evening News every night and say, I didnt hear that on my scanner! Wish me luck. Will I ever understand this stuff? I have not heard anything on the scanner since I uploaded the information keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks again, Frank...you are a great dude!

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
SSM fire is pretty quiet. They don't dispatch by radio, but they send tones after the rigs are already responding. I haven't figured that one out yet. The radio traffic on the fire freq is just about limited to responding, on scene, transpoting, out at WMH, clear. But, If you listen to the MPSCS the dispatcher will let the city PD know what the FD is going to.

But I am not getting the dispatcher. I dont think I am even getting any city police cars. I listened pretty closely Friday and Saturday night and I heard nothing from dispatch or the city cars. I also am not getting any state police. I do beleive the only thing I am getting is the Sherrif and that is only in the outer areas of the county. I am getting nothing for in town other than the ambulance and the hospital. Anyone have any ideas? Did they maybe change channels or something? How could I fine out?

Danielle

Status
Not open for further replies.