Saving scanner config to file sds200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryton

I'm a little confused as to what file I need to export to have my custom settings saved. All I see is Export to HPE. (Favorites) as well as Export Custom display (Which I assume is for your custom colors on the screen). What saves the custom search and welcome screen text, ect?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I'm a little confused as to what file I need to export to have my custom settings saved. All I see is Export to HPE. (Favorites) as well as Export Custom display (Which I assume is for your custom colors on the screen). What saves the custom search and welcome screen text, ect?
For a complete backup of everything, just copy all of the files on the SD card to another card, or to a folder on your PC.

Tryton

That's one way for sure, Thanks for the info. totally forgot about that lol, but isn't there another way to backup your settings thru the export method?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
That's one way for sure, Thanks for the info. totally forgot about that lol, but isn't there another way to backup your settings thru the export method?
Only 3 export functions, single favorites list at a time, display setup, and locations to a google earth map. You can find where your profiles are stored by looking at the Sentinel folder on your computer. Look at your Sentinel menu for their location: tools... options... Sentinel folder.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

No. Favorites Lists take time to build and they also may be of interest to others. So there is an option to export them so they can be sent on to others, or saved. Profiles take a little less effort, so there isn't an option to export them for use by others.

If you want to backup your files in case of a crash or other disaster, it is pretty easy to do so. While copying the SD card works, you may have multiple profiles or Favorites Lists that have not been written to the scanner and thus they will not get copied.

1. Start Sentinel
2. Go to Tools>Options
3. Note the location of Sentinel Folder
4. Close Sentinel
5. Use your Windows Explorer to navigate to the location
6. Select all the folders (ActivityLog, DiscoveryLog, FavoritesLists, Profile) and Copy
7. Paste those folders on your media of choice (thumbdrive, external drive, CD, SD card)

This will not copy the full database, but you can do that via Sentinel if it is damaged.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you have favorite lists you never write to the scanner, your scanner is a backup for Sentinel, and vice versa.

Protip; You can write to scanner on a spare card in a card reader in your computer, and then you have a backup you can store away from both that can be quickly accessed in either. And it's easier and faster than any other method and includes your profile. You should have a spare card for your scanner anyway.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Unless you have favorite lists you never write to the scanner, your scanner is a backup for Sentinel, and vice versa.

Unwritten Profiles!! I have several Profiles that I would only use on travel. Yeah it may not be efficient having multiple profiles, such as a Home and Away, but that kind of forces me to hook the scanner (or at least SD card) to the scanner where I can can update the full database and check for firmware changes too.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You could make a profile called "backup" that has all your favorite lists set to download ON, and your most common scanner settings for a given model, and write that to a spare card.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You could make a profile called "backup" that has all your favorite lists set to download ON, and your most common scanner settings for a given model, and write that to a spare card.

That still doesn't help you if you have multiple Profiles for some reason or another.

To the OP: If you do any kind of file backups, such as writing to an External Drive or some 3rd party off site backup, such as Carbonite, you already have a backup copy of your Profile file. (The File Name is Profile.CFG which can be found with a Windows Explorer Search)

Status
Not open for further replies.