Scanner Screen software for 436 and 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Is there an easy way to have the app check the comm port to reconnect? If I am using the app, and I pull the USB and plug it back in, select Mass Storage mode, to update a favorites list, and then unplug the USB and plug it back in and select serial mode, the app doesnt reconnect without stretching the window back out, unhiding the settings, and clicking on connect. Is there an easy way to have it automatically keep looking for the scanner every 10 seconds or so on the last opened comm port and reconnecting when the scanner shows up there again? Lacking that, is there a way to move the connect button to the left where the raw data box is now, so if you have the screen shrunk down to just show the 4 lines of scanner data, you dont have to resize the window to reconnect?

_Or_ put a Connect dialog box on the Settings Menu, so I can just click connect there?

Not a problem probably for someone just listening, but I am always tweeking things and reloading favorites :)

Also, you never posted your paypal name, for dontations.

If you want to donate click below

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=H8RE5W4PCPZBW

I will use donations to get a 536

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Currently the settings are saved in the same location as the exe.

If the exe is on the desktop then it will save the settings there.

You could create a directory and save the screenscanner.exe there then create a short cut to the exe.

Eventually I will create an installer that will do this.

What do you mean wont load? does the program crash?

Thanks Chucky fixed it in newest version

Yeah, I had created a shortcut out of the .exe folder, but I see U got it already. You are our non-stop hero!!

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Vonske, ur donation is on the way. I are just a retired G.I., os I don't make much, but I figured I can't do this stuff, but guys like you keep us going!:)

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
New version .29

Moved connect group box to left hand side.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Jndzk4GdzJN2h2SWFudDdKUmM/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks davenlr

Awesome, thanks. By the way, I dont know if this is the way its supposed to work, but I launched the program, and selected "Load Defaults" and it make me select a com port first, then popped up the Load Defaults? box.

Sent off a donation. Hope others follow suit. Be nice to get you a 536 so you could get frustrated with the Mass Storage bug like the rest of us :)

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, thanks. By the way, I dont know if this is the way its supposed to work, but I launched the program, and selected "Load Defaults" and it make me select a com port first, then popped up the Load Defaults? box.

Sent off a donation. Hope others follow suit. Be nice to get you a 536 so you could get frustrated with the Mass Storage bug like the rest of us :)

The settings file is associated with the com port.

That way you could have a scanner on com 4 and one on com 6 with different settings colors and etc

So when you tell it to load settings a com port has to be selected to determine if a file exist for that comport that contains settings.

Each time you click the connect to scanner button it checks to see if a com port config file exist and if it does it ask you if you want to load it.

Here is how it works

1. You run the program set things up save it. it will create a config file for that com port

You exit the program at some point

You load the program and select the com port and click connect, it then checks to see if a config file exist for that com port if one does it ask you if you want to load it.

So there is an automatic load of settings when you click connect and a manual one in the settings menu.

Kind of confusing maybe I should rename the settings menu one to reload or something.

What do you think?

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
I think I am going to remove the load settings from the settings menu and just use the auto load one when you click connect to make it more simple.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Quick bug or windows weirdness report. When I have the window shrunk and settings hidden, to make a small little window that is no larger than the amount of data shown and I unplug the scanner and plug it back in, click the settings menu, unhide settings, click on CONNECT, it reconnects perfectly, but makes the window about 10X larger than it was. I dont know if there is any way to "remember" the size of the window before hitting connect, and keeping it the same size or not. This may be a windows problem, as Ive never paid much attention as I dont usually use small windows.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Quick bug or windows weirdness report. When I have the window shrunk and settings hidden, to make a small little window that is no larger than the amount of data shown and I unplug the scanner and plug it back in, click the settings menu, unhide settings, click on CONNECT, it reconnects perfectly, but makes the window about 10X larger than it was. I dont know if there is any way to "remember" the size of the window before hitting connect, and keeping it the same size or not. This may be a windows problem, as Ive never paid much attention as I dont usually use small windows.

My guess is the settings got saved with the larger window settings, and when you click connect to scanner it loads those settings.

Resize your window how you want it and etc. then save settings. Then connect to scanner it should read the new settings with the correct window size.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
When I select Channel Hold, the 436 continues to show the details of the channel being held, plus the word HOLD in reverse color. But your program displays "Scanning or idle." Is there a way to show on the computer that Channel Hold was selected?

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
My guess is the settings got saved with the larger window settings, and when you click connect to scanner it loads those settings.

Resize your window how you want it and etc. then save settings. Then connect to scanner it should read the new settings with the correct window size.

Ok, wasnt a bug or a windows weirdness...it was a dumb operator error. Thanks Vonskie.
Works as you say. Never gave a thought to saving it with a bigger window. (Planting palm on my face)

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
When I select Channel Hold, the 436 continues to show the details of the channel being held, plus the word HOLD in reverse color. But your program displays "Scanning or idle." Is there a way to show on the computer that Channel Hold was selected?

Unfortunately when the scanner is on hold the GLG command does not return anything until a transmission occurs on that channel.

In the future I may try a different command or a combination of the two and this might work in this situation.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately when the scanner is on hold the GLG command does not return anything until a transmission occurs on that channel.

In the future I may try a different command or a combination of the two and this might work in this situation.

Then meanwhile, maybe the phrase "Scanning or idle" could be improved?
"No voice transmissions detected"
"Awaiting next transmission to decode"

The word "idle" doesn't exactly reflect the scanner's behavior in the Channel Hold situation.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Then meanwhile, maybe the phrase "Scanning or idle" could be improved?
"No voice transmissions detected"
"Awaiting next transmission to decode"

The word "idle" doesn't exactly reflect the scanner's behavior in the Channel Hold situation.

Good point it needs to be shorter though.

Give me some ideas

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
i keep getting I/O Error when i attempt to connect. Im using windows 7 home premium.

Do you have the scanner serial driver installed?

If you do make sure you are selecting that com port.

Sometimes if you switch USB ports the com port changes with windows so look in device manager.

Sometime the scanner needs to be restarted and put back into serial mode firmware bug I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.