Scanner Screen software for 436 and 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN works that way. When you connect your scanner to your PC and have FreeSCAN open and want to upload a file, you can query the COM port and when it finds your scanner it tells you what kind you have.

Yes free scan is cool and has been around longer than 30 days so in time who knows.

Take care

Salvation

Premium Subscriber
Yes free scan is cool and has been around longer than 30 days so in time who knows.

Take care

Not sure how well it will come out on here but I had written something in Applescript that searched for the scanner and reported when it found it.. Not sure if it will give you ideas to build a "search for scanner" function...

Attachments

• checkports.jpg
    checkports.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 384

mrkelso

Ok found all my ports on the iMac plugged in and everything worked great for about a hour:': then the dreaded Mass Storage thing popped up and that was all she wrote i gave up. When it was working it is awe sum with the logging and all.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Ok found all my ports on the iMac plugged in and everything worked great for about a hour:': then the dreaded Mass Storage thing popped up and that was all she wrote i gave up. When it was working it is awe sum with the logging and all.

I hope uniden gets this bug fixed 0n the 536

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I hope uniden gets this bug fixed 0n the 536

By the time they get it working, everyone will have serial cards in their computers like the dark ages. Who uses serial anymore anyway? They dont even put them in computers anymore.

It should have had a standard USB port (like the one they are using for the non-functional WiFi adapter), or at least let us hook a USB hub to the scanner to run the computer and the WiFi at the same time. Two USB ports on the scanner, and the back one doesnt work for anything except WiFi and the front one is buggy. Luckily, so far, mine only switches out of serial mode about once a night now, where they re-recalled scanner used to do it after about 10 minutes. Progress I guess.

Last edited:

kd7eir

Mine has never switched out of serial mode. Of course, I probably just ruined that! Seriously, this would be maddening to me. I really hope that Uniden gets this resolved ASAP for everyone's sake.

It would be fascinating to know the rationale for Uniden's choice of ports.

Sent from my fertile imagination.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
There's still lots of devices that require serial in the networking world especially. That's why serial is still important. Some devices have embedded web pages, but when all else fails, connecting via serial is the only thing that works. I have my 536 plugged in to the rear serial via a USB-to-Serial adapter and haven't had any disconnecting or mass storage problems here.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone else use the Screen Scanner software noticed on a 536 if the Priority is enabled, and a transmission comes up on the priority channel, it doesn't show the channel in the screen? I had priority on and normal channels showed up, but when the scanner switched to a priority channel, the software shows "Scanning or idle" ...

Anvil

Premium Subscriber
As I posted in another thread, I'm using a StarTech serial to USD adapter cable ((ICUSB232FTN ) with FTDI chipset on the back port and have had NO problems using it with Sentinel, ARCPRO Beta and Scanner Screen with Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro and on OS X Lion.

Before anybody feels the need to point out that I had to buy a $25 cable for my $600 BCD536, save it. I'm posting this as a suggestion to help others get connected and don't care about your opinions on the radio purchase, Uniden or your freedom of speech.

chuck_e7

Premium Subscriber
Oops Hookup

I usually change my Serial RS-232 cable between my 996XT and 536HP and turn on the appropriate program. This time I inadvertently left Proscan 7.0 on and turned on my 536. It was able to log data, and do remote scanner, but other commands didn't work. Display was whack, but reported some of the station it landed on. Interesting!

Attachments

• Proscan on 536.jpg
    Proscan on 536.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 407

kd7eir

As I posted in another thread, I'm using a StarTech serial to USD adapter cable ((ICUSB232FTN ) with FTDI chipset on the back port and have had NO problems using it with Sentinel, ARCPRO Beta and Scanner Screen with Win 7 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro and on OS X Lion.

Before anybody feels the need to point out that I had to buy a $25 cable for my $600 BCD536, save it. I'm posting this as a suggestion to help others get connected and don't care about your opinions on the radio purchase, Uniden or your freedom of speech.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Vonskie

Premium Subscriber
Okay I am starting to think about using the STS command, It is not like GLG which says field one is this and field two is that. (Always the same on the 396 996 436 536.) STS gives more info but it is basically a screen dump of whats on the scanner. It returns lines, line one, line two, line three and etc on the display for the most part. What I am worried about is the displays are different with the above models what appears on line one and two and etc maybe different on each scanner and I do not have any scanner to test with except the 436. So this is where I need your help, I am going to put together a simple program that will record what is being returned from each scanner and allow you to cut and paste the results in the forum.

Will you help me with this?

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Help

Okay I am starting to think about using the STS command, It is not like GLG which says field one is this and field two is that. (Always the same on the 396 996 436 536.) STS gives more info but it is basically a screen dump of whats on the scanner. It returns lines, line one, line two, line three and etc on the display for the most part. What I am worried about is the displays are different with the above models what appears on line one and two and etc maybe different on each scanner and I do not have any scanner to test with except the 436. So this is where I need your help, I am going to put together a simple program that will record what is being returned from each scanner and allow you to cut and paste the results in the forum.

Will you help me with this?

I have a Uniden 396t Digital scanner can I help you.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.