SD Card help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeppelin11

Hello, when i purchased the BCD436HP Scanner i purchased an upgrade key as well which came pre installed on the scanner and i was never sent an email giving me the key. My scanner is dead and im sending it into Uniden for repair and I've read that Uniden will sometimes wipe the scanner clean which also wipes the upgrade key. Is the upgrade key stored somewhere on the SD card? If it is can i find that key by loading the card onto my computer? What would i be looking for on the SD card if that were possible? I appreciate any input.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Is the upgrade key stored somewhere on the SD card?
No. It is written to the radio's logic. Otherwise it could be transferred to a different radio (or more) with ease if stored externally. Upgrade keys are tied to one radio only by design. Who did you purchase the scanner from? Send them an email asking for the key(s)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I don't know exactly how they do it but I imagine since you registered your radio and they know you have the DMR key through your registration and the electronic serial number, they probably will be able to check and just put that back on the radio if it gets wiped off?I'm also guessing that this would be something they automatically check, if they need to, prior to wiping the radio clean.

Before Paul Opitz, UPman or the guy responsible for us having the SDS scanners, passed away earlier this year, he had told me that the registration key was useless for anything once you put it in the scanner. He said there was absolutely no reason to save it and it wouldn't do you any good even if you did because there was no use for it. Since that registration number goes with your scanner and it's ESN number, there's no way to use it on any other radio and Uniden would have a record of it. Even if you bought it and had some company add it for a small cost, it's still only good with your radio's ESN. So through that ESN number I'm guessing they can tell that you had the DMR key?

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure how it works but Paul was very clear that that number could never be used again once it was used the first time and saving it was pointless.

Brian (COMMSCAN)

zeppelin11

No. It is written to the radio's logic. Otherwise it could be transferred to a different radio (or more) with ease if stored externally. Upgrade keys are tied to one radio only by design. Who did you purchase the scanner from? Send them an email asking for the key(s)
That makes sense. I bought the radio from bearcatwarehouse and i did send them an email asking for it but i figured i would explore plan B if for some reason they didn't have it. I appreciate your input.

zeppelin11

I don't know exactly how they do it but I imagine since you registered your radio and they know you have the DMR key through your registration and the electronic serial number, they probably will be able to check and just put that back on the radio if it gets wiped off?I'm also guessing that this would be something they automatically check, if they need to, prior to wiping the radio clean.

Before Paul Opitz, UPman or the guy responsible for us having the SDS scanners, passed away earlier this year, he had told me that the registration key was useless for anything once you put it in the scanner. He said there was absolutely no reason to save it and it wouldn't do you any good even if you did because there was no use for it. Since that registration number goes with your scanner and it's ESN number, there's no way to use it on any other radio and Uniden would have a record of it. Even if you bought it and had some company add it for a small cost, it's still only good with your radio's ESN. So through that ESN number I'm guessing they can tell that you had the DMR key?

Like I said, I'm not exactly sure how it works but Paul was very clear that that number could never be used again once it was used the first time and saving it was pointless.

Brian (COMMSCAN)
I purchased the upgrade key and scanner from bearcatwarehouse and they pre installed it. So the key isn't registered on unidens registration page. I would expect that if the key were wiped from the radio that you could re use it again (same key on the same radio) to unlock the software. Just like when you buy windows you can reinstall windows if something happens you use the same windows key you paid for to reinstall.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
You should of got the key thru Uniden yourself... Alot cheaper... Just sayin...
You will have to call bearcat warehouse to get the key from them more than likely...

The key will only work on your radio... It is generated by an algorithm off the electronic serial number (ESN) of your radio...

If Uniden has to replace a board that contains the ESN they will reflash the original serial number back to it...

Last edited:

zeppelin11

I had sent them an email just waiting on a reply. I found out i could of saved 10 bucks after the fact when i purchased the DMR key through Uniden. It is what it is. I only need the key to work on my radio. I appreciate everyone's input.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Call BCW and see if they will email you the key... Uniden may or may not put the key back in...

tvengr

Well Known Member
Try registering your scanner at my.uniden.com. Hopefully, if you enter your name, where you bought it, and the serial number and electronic serial number, your key may be in the records and will be displayed.

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
Try registering your scanner at my.uniden.com. Hopefully, if you enter your name, where you bought it, and the serial number and electronic serial number, your key may be in the records and will be displayed.

Good point... Worth a try...

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Hello, when i purchased the BCD436HP Scanner i purchased an upgrade key as well which came pre installed on the scanner and i was never sent an email giving me the key. My scanner is dead and im sending it into Uniden for repair and I've read that Uniden will sometimes wipe the scanner clean which also wipes the upgrade key. Is the upgrade key stored somewhere on the SD card? If it is can i find that key by loading the card onto my computer? What would i be looking for on the SD card if that were possible? I appreciate any input.

In order for Bearcat Warehouse to install an upgrade key in your scanner, they would had to register it with Uniden, either in your name or the scanner. Uniden will have a record of that regardless of who did it. As mentioned it's registered to the SN & ESN of the scanner. I'm pretty certain if your scanner can not be repaired they'll replace the main board or the entire scanner if it's in warranty or for a repair fee if it's not, and apply a new upgrade key for no extra charge. What mode did you key did you buy? ProVoice, DMR, or NXDN?

zeppelin11

Great info. I appreciate it. It's definitely within warranty I've only had it for 1 month so something must have been faulty from the start which is disappointing but these things happen. I purchased the NXDN key with the scanner through bearcat then maybe a week later i purchased the DMR key through the Uniden registration page.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Great info. I appreciate it. It's definitely within warranty I've only had it for 1 month so something must have been faulty from the start which is disappointing but these things happen. I purchased the NXDN key with the scanner through bearcat then maybe a week later i purchased the DMR key through the Uniden registration page.

Go to the Uniden registration page, log in and it should be there along with your DMR key!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Go to the Uniden registration page, log in and it should be there along with your DMR key!

How did your scanner die? Is it totally dead or just not working properly? I'm sure you tried new batteries or the USB cable power? Did you set the little switch in the battery compartment for the type of batteries you're using?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you purchased the upgrade as part of the scanner purchase, the upgrade key may have already been applied. You could confirm that with the seller.

As noted above, the upgrade key is a "one and done" thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.