SDR# Plug-in: Frequency Manager (FreqMan) updated

Here is how FreqMan plugin now looks like with SDR#1785 RC7 (almost final version) .
Uggly white background all around the main frame :eek: And sometimes it's totally white ...
Same applies to Frequency Scanner

Attachments

• RC7.JPG
    RC7.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 80
  • RC7B.JPG
    RC7B.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 78

thewraith2008

Frequency Manager (FreqMan) plug-in updated to v1.1.5.0

Plug-in UI should be better now when using with SDR# 1800
- see changelog.txt for details

Download
NOTE: Use 7zip or WinRAR to extract files from the .7z file and read the .txt files for installation and usage of files with SDR#.

MD5 HASH: 16c2fb3934f6f61442fe4f406d9fca2b

Many thanks for the update.
No issue at all ; the only difference I notice is the highlightened frequency is now blue instead of green (at least with dark theme).

Great job.

Last edited:

thewraith2008

Plug-in matches what the current theme uses. (to a point)
Use the generic theme color option and you can see the green again.

SDR# is now using custom (licensed) controls that the standard windows controls cannot mimic.
It's just the way it is now.

nj3h

Hi Wraith,

Thank you so much for your plugin for sharp, FreqMan.

I am trying to set up Sharp for use with two Airspy receivers (R2 and Discovery). I am having trouble getting FreqMan to play independently with each instance.

I have a list of frequencies saved within FreqMan called 'misc'. I cannot find where that file is stored on my PC. It seems to come up on each instance of Sharp that I run. I want only frequency files created for each radio to only be visible for that radio and not for the other radio.

So how can I do this? Again, where are the frequency files (like 'misc') stored?

Again, thanks for a great plugin.

Regards,
George, NJ3H
Redmond, Oregon USA

thewraith2008

The frequencies are stored in 'frequencies.xml' file which is saved in the SDR# folder.
The 'frequencies.xml' file can be opened with notepad, but one MUST adhere to the XML structure if manually edited.
Don't manually edit the file while running SDR# as changes will not be seen by SDR# and be overwritten on SDR# close.

Possible options are:
  1. Run two separate folders of SDR#, one for R2 and one for Discovery.
  2. You could save frequencies from each SDR (R2 and Discovery) under different groups.
'FreqMan' has no idea about how to associate a saved frequency to a SDR.

Latest version (v1.1.5.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

TDR-94

Has anyone utilized the scan function in the Frequency Manager (FreqMan) plugin? Does it use the normal squelch control in the SDR# radio dropdown and how fast is the scan rate?

thewraith2008

Has anyone utilized the scan function in the Frequency Manager (FreqMan) plugin? Does it use the normal squelch control in the SDR# radio dropdown and how fast is the scan rate?
Yes it uses standard SDR# squelch and is the reason that the scan rate is so much slower.
The scan rate is probably comparable to older scanners (few channels a second).

Latest version (v1.1.5.0) can be found here: MEGA - Download
Release post here

TDR-94

I'll have to try the FreqMan scan function and see if it drops transmissions like the Frequency Scanner does on my computer.

W4UCK

If i may most humbly make two suggestions/requests. I really like this module. It is my go to scanner. 1) The little 'scan' box that appears when scanning channels is always on top. It would be nice if that could be turned on and off. 2) It does not remember where it was last placed. It always pops up in the middle of the screen right on top of the most important place on the waterfall display i want to watch. If it could remember where it was last placed would be swell. Thanks for a great plug-in.

Regards,

Jim

Hi there !

About duplicates, the change log states : "the first occurrence is drawn at top (in bold green) and following duplicates are drawn as normal in the following list (in green)". It works as expected.

A question though : how is this "first occurrence" defined ?
In some cases, it matches the order shown in SDR# "frequencies.xml", in other cases it is different (see attachment).
This does not seem to be related to 'alphabetical order ...

Is there a trick so that the order of the duplicates in "frequencies.xml" is kept in the freqman table ? (to make the stations appear from the most likely to the least likely).
I'm running v1.1.5.0

Thanks a lot.

Attachments

• fmanager.JPG
    fmanager.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
While SDR# was not running (totally closed), I manually set in the desired order some frequencies from frequencies.xml and saved the file.
Then I launched SDR#, and this order is not systematically the same in the Frequency Manager table (as on the above picture).
Actually, for a reason I can't explain, sometimes the order is the same, sometimes not.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
The scan function looks good! It's so early there has been no activity yet for it to lock onto yet, but it's a cool!

Scanning.gif

thewraith2008

Hi there !

About duplicates, the change log states : "the first occurrence is drawn at top (in bold green) and following duplicates are drawn as normal in the following list (in green)". It works as expected.

A question though : how is this "first occurrence" defined ?
In some cases, it matches the order shown in SDR# "frequencies.xml", in other cases it is different (see attachment).
This does not seem to be related to 'alphabetical order ...

Is there a trick so that the order of the duplicates in "frequencies.xml" is kept in the freqman table ? (to make the stations appear from the most likely to the least likely).
I'm running v1.1.5.0

Thanks a lot.
The list should sort primarily by frequency.
But to be honest, the remaining elements of a frequency entry are probably sorted by some undetermined method which changes the expected order in list.

This list is normally only sorted when a new frequency is added or when the 'name' or 'frequency' headers are clicked (for ascending/descending) which most likely apply a different sorting method again.

The plug-in will use the first occurrence in list but as you have seen, setting a frequency as 1st may not be first as expected by simply editing the XML.

The sort can probably altered to produce a more repeatable list, but if you want a certain entry to be first in list, there is the problem that the sort will simple change it's position in the list again.

The Frequency scanner and FreqMan plug-ins really are not made to handle the occurrence of duplicates.

CaptainNemo

Hi there. I'm using SDRSharp.FreqMan.dll 1.1.5.0
Thank you for that.
1) when I check "Track VFO freq" in the freq list you set the "group" according to the frequency tuned and this cause the filtering of the list.
Is it possible to keep the "group"=[All Groups] so that I can see all frequency memorized near the tuned frequency?
2) I have a big list of all frequency of interest just in one frequencies.xml divided in groups let say [MAR], [AIR], [HAM] ...
Is it a big effort to add a level of grouping (or a tag) let say [HF], [VHF] so that i can manage a simple hierarchy e.g.
[HF]
[AIR]
[MAR]
[VHF]
[AIR]
[MAR]
In the past I did that using more files, let say frequencies.xml.hf, frequencies.xml.vhf an then manually copying them to frequencies.xml
Thanks in advance for your opinion.
73 - gio'

CaptainNemo

Let say #1 and #2 are change request ... :cool:

#2. currently we have only one tag <GroupName> per entry
It is useful one more tag:
<MemoryEntry>
<GroupName>AIR</GroupName>
<GroupName2>HF</GroupName2>
</MemoryEntry>
<MemoryEntry>
<GroupName2>VHF</GroupName2>
</MemoryEntry>
or so.
Thanks for your attention.
Gio'

morfis

Let say #1 and #2 are change request ... :cool:

#2. currently we have only one tag <GroupName> per entry
It is useful one more tag:
<MemoryEntry>
<GroupName2>HF</GroupName2>
</MemoryEntry>
<MemoryEntry>
<GroupName2>VHF</GroupName2>
</MemoryEntry>
or so.
Thanks for your attention.
Gio'

<MemoryEntry>
<GroupName>AIR HF</GroupName>
</MemoryEntry>
<MemoryEntry>
<GroupName>AIR VHF</GroupName>
</MemoryEntry>

morfis

that's what I have today... thanks so much for your time.

So what is the specific advantage you see with having an extra level within the file? Is it something only you would use or is it something you think most people need?