SDS100 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Is that system a rebanding issue? since it ends in 5 and not 0 i wouldnt think so unless the LCN is wrong on the 857 control channel day.. can u see if the LCN's match up on all frequencies?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS100 gets its bandplans from the control channel, so it's not something you need to worry about. If the control channel broadcast was wrong, system users would have trouble.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it was/is not a reband issue. There is a lot of traffic between me and the site I was listening to. Selecting the correct filter setting, seems to have fixed it. The display has been showing the correct freqs, so it is/was tracking okay.

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to buy new scanners which will work with p25 phase II as all my scanners are analog only. Do have a pro-668 but it will need to be reprogrammed by Whistler before the switchover by UCA. I have been researching the SDS100 extensively. The bad speaker quality, proprietary battery (large & expensive) along with the huge learning curve is quite daunting especially considering the price.

Also considering a couple of SDS200's as well. The question is can one hide all the unwanted items from the display one doesn't care to see?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
You can add or remove most items as you see fit.
I am looking to buy new scanners which will work with p25 phase II as all my scanners are analog only. Do have a pro-668 but it will need to be reprogrammed by Whistler before the switchover by UCA. I have been researching the SDS100 extensively. The bad speaker quality, proprietary battery (large & expensive) along with the huge learning curve is quite daunting especially considering the price.

Also considering a couple of SDS200's as well. The question is can one hide all the unwanted items from the display one doesn't care to see?
To add a little to what Jon has already noted, you can download Sentinel here.

Install Sentinel (you do not have to have one of the scanners & connect it to your PC; Sentinel can be installed witghout owning one of the scanner models, so that you can see what your options are, or if you have ordered one of the scanner models, you can set up your Favorites lists and options before your radio arrives).

With Sentinel running, change the "Target Model" to either the SDS100 or SDS200. That's under the Tools drop-down menu.
1602209518776.png

Once you've selected either of the two models, click the multi-colored icon under the Scanner drop down menu.
1602209601076.png
That will let you bring up the display that you would see on either the SDS100, or SDS200 (whichever of the two models you select), and you can get a better idea of what the display looks like, as well as explore your options to either modify the default display choices, or if you prefer, 'blank' some of them out.
1602209768341.png

enosjones

Premium Subscriber

Bcd325P2 does phase 2 nxdn and dmr and pro voice, it might be a cheaper option but it may not do the simulcast like the sds models, UCA has a few current simulcast sites, idk what it will look like when they switch, it might be a while though, 2-3 years idk maybe sooner maybe not , maybe phase one or 2 we don’t know, but at least we are ready

Premium Subscriber

Speaker quality isn't the best. I don't think any SDS100 owner will argue that. Its not awful, but definitely not great.
Hook it up to an external speaker and no problem.

Battery is proprietary, but no issues with it. It will generally give you 7 hours of run time. If you need more juice while you aren't near an wall outlet, a portable USB battery bank does the trick nicely.

Learning curve... sure, but I think Sentinel is extremely easy to use once you get the hang of it. It's not difficult in my opinion.

The display can be as plain or as detailed as you want it to be. As mentioned above, you can tweak the layout to almost whatever you'd like, and then if wanted, change colors of pretty much anything on the screen.

If you are thinking of getting either of the SDS models, download Sentinel and play with it. See what you think.

Premium Subscriber
Bcd325P2 does phase 2 nxdn and dmr and pro voice, it might be a cheaper option but it may not do the simulcast like the sds models, UCA has a few current simulcast sites, idk what it will look like when they switch, it might be a while though, 2-3 years idk maybe sooner maybe not , maybe phase one or 2 we don’t know, but at least we are ready

That was my reasoning for getting the best available scanner at the time.... was to prepare for the future. Not knowing what exactly UCA has planned, I just wanted to be ready and able when they make the switch.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I started this thread hoping to find other users in the area. As I think I made clear earlier, I do not like Sentinel or the way the channels are organized in the radio (SDS-100). The radio itself is pretty good. Handles Simulcast better than the TRX, and is good with the HAFB system. Overkill for conventional channels. My primary issue with Sentinel (I'm sure) is my unfamiliarity with it, and unwillingness to work with it. :rolleyes: But, one of these days I probably will. I will also say, the more I work with the radio, the more I discover it can do. I just like to have a manual. :cautious:

pmstewart

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I will download Sentinel and play with it. I read somewhere you can charge the battery or listen to the scanner but could not do both at the same time?! As I get older the scanners I use most give me grief in understanding what they are saying. Using the attenuation feature doesn't seem to help nor does adjusting the sensitivity settings. External speakers help but my hope is to get a
scanner with tech upgrades which makes it easier to understand.

I live right in the middle of UCA Trunk Site 1 - Weber Simulcast! Which is tied to Box Elder EOC through TGID 66520 so all of BE Co is coming through our simulcast as site 4. Site 4 is actually the old "Reservoir Hill" site. That site is also tied to Cache Co simulcast with a TGID in the 49000 range so we get alot of Cache Co traffic also.

The learning curve is ridiculous - Software for each RS scanner I own which is 12. Not all are programmable with software but the 197's use one and the pro-107 uses a different one and the pro-668 uses yet another. I also have a couple other RS scanners which can have data sent to them but not read back from them. They didn't survive the reband so I use them in conventional mode. After sending my 668 into Whistler to have it
reprogrammed the software will be Whistler branded not RS branded.

I think I'm going to purchase one SDS100 & SDS200 and see how it goes. My simulcast coverage sucks. Now where to buy?

gldavis - I am an old dog and new tricks are not my thing! Have been trying to understand the concept of "object oriented programming".
since they introduced the concept. Just cannot seem to understand it and how it relates to programming frequencies, control channels, talkgroups, radio id's.....etc. I've never been a fan of the "zip code" programming. Uniden has their "home patrol" software which infuriates me. It addresses
the needs of the people who don't want to do the work to learn scanning and leaves us old war horses with broken tools in which to work with when it comes to programming of any kind. I know traffic which comes from jails, public works and animal control. I don't need a scanner to departmentalize them for me since I'm going to lock them out anyway. LOL

Last edited:

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the suggestions and comments. I will download Sentinel and play with it. I read somewhere you can charge the battery or listen to the scanner but could not do both at the same time?! As I get older the scanners I use most give me grief in understanding what they are saying. Using the attenuation feature doesn't seem to help nor does adjusting the sensitivity settings. External speakers help but my hope is to get a
scanner with tech upgrades which makes it easier to understand.

I live right in the middle of UCA Trunk Site 1 - Weber Simulcast! Which is tied to Box Elder EOC through TGID 66520 so all of BE Co is coming through our simulcast as site 4. Site 4 is actually the old "Reservoir Hill" site. That site is also tied to Cache Co simulcast with a TGID in the 49000 range so we get alot of Cache Co traffic also.

The learning curve is ridiculous - Software for each RS scanner I own which is 12. Not all are programmable with software but the 197's use one and the pro-107 uses a different one and the pro-668 uses yet another. I also have a couple other RS scanners which can have data sent to them but not read back from them. They didn't survive the reband so I use them in conventional mode. After sending my 668 into Whistler to have it
reprogrammed the software will be Whistler branded not RS branded.

I think I'm going to purchase one SDS100 & SDS200 and see how it goes. My simulcast coverage sucks. Now where to buy?

gldavis - I am an old dog and new tricks are not my thing! Have been trying to understand the concept of "object oriented programming".
since they introduced the concept. Just cannot seem to understand it and how it relates to programming frequencies, control channels, talkgroups, radio id's.....etc. I've never been a fan of the "zip code" programming. Uniden has their "home patrol" software which infuriates me. It addresses
the needs of the people who don't want to do the work to learn scanning and leaves us old war horses with broken tools in which to work with when it comes to programming of any kind. I know traffic which comes from jails, public works and animal control. I don't need a scanner to departmentalize them for me since I'm going to lock them out anyway. LOL
As long as the usb cable is not low voltage usb, u should be able to charge and scan with the sds100, it will automatically disable this function if it gives u low volt usb error, there is a setting to enable it again

Premium Subscriber
@pmstewart
The included Uniden USB Charger is 2.1 amps (I think) will charge and power the device.
So anything above that should be able to power and charge while using no problem.

Being right in the middle of several sites, the SDS may be very helpful for you.

Can't help with the learning curve. Unfortunately that comes with the territory... but that's not just scanners either.

mpcpsrego1

Premium Subscriber
So just my 2 pennies worth LOL but I have had plenty of good reception with a Uniden BCT15X with a phantom NMO 800mhz on the SmartZone system and have had very little reception loss. I can think of several spots along Bangerter Hwy, West Valley, North Salt Lake, Salt Lake and a few other areas that cause some dead signal and I feel like that is primarily because of a lot of cellular towers but other then that no problems at all. Now that is a analog only scanner but if it works well currently I couldn't imagine that the BCD996P2 would have that many problems on the current system and the big change over to phase l/ll plus it is cheaper then the SDS for anyone on a budget but still wants something to listen with. I find the software is way easier for them then doing it manually but that is a personal preference. I've toyed with the idea of a SDS200 mobile install but idk if for me the money spent on it would justify what I use them for now granted better reception overall is a plus but kind of comes back to the cost aspect of it. Like enosjones mentioned who knows what could change with the new system as far as the simulcasting goes, it could end up being pretty distorted. I would imagine they would have to add a few more towers in the areas that do run simulcast to make the coverage as adequate as the current analog SZ setup. It is really anyone's guess at this point honestly, but that is just my take on that, plenty of good advice out there on models with their strong and weak points.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
PMSTEWART-If you have or are going to get an SDS100/200, then yes, please download SENTINEL, and try to work with it (my biggest issue). Learn what it can do. It does open up a lot of the capabilities/options for these radios. Also, I do agree (A Lot) with you on the "Zip Code" programming method.

ENOSJONES-It took me a while to catch onto the USB trick. Did not see that in the manual. So now I move the cable from the computer (for programming) to a separate high current hub for charging/operating.

Premium Subscriber
Play with Sentinel as much as possible. This will help. Also refer back to the forums with a "Search"
Obviously post any other questions here.

Status
Not open for further replies.