SDS200 possible keypad backlight issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Might as well just get a refund. It is highly unlikely they are going to open any of there in stock units. They could not sell them new if they did.

Agreed, I asked ScannerMaster about that today, and they said they were not allowed to open stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

teknishun

The hum has been fixed with a firmware update.

There is a FREE part you can order for the SDS200 that addresses the hum issue in addition to the firmware update.
This is a user-attachable part which means it is a doable DYI project. In another forum thread Uniden has posted a
video of how to install the part on the SDS200 and you CAN do this without voiding the warranty by opening the case.

I have ordered the part but it has not arrived yet. I've already got the latest firmware update that came out earlier
this week. When I get the part I will report back.

Tryton

Here is mine, I noticed that the camera (iPhone XS Max brightens up the picture. In person it's so dim in a dark room you cannot see it.

I'm still going to keep it as is has 0% hum.

IMG_0146.jpg

oceans777

Listener
My SDS200 arrived from HRO, second round of shipments and the display is awful, fuzzy, dim, blurry from even a slight angle viewing with ghosting or glow around the characters. I'm in a dark room and it's really poor even in here. I doubt Uniden service will say "you got one of the bad displays, here's the brighter one for you" so back it goes. There is a big difference between this SDS200 display and the bright, clear displays on both of our SDS100's.
No audio hum but keypad is barely lit - I have to put a light beside it to see the buttons.

You keep thinking Uniden will have to get these quality control problems resolved but no, they clearly don't.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I've only seen the display have those attributes when the protective film was still on (or when I had my glasses off).

dfw1193

Wow thats a first release batch hard to believe they have that low of serial numbers still on the shelf, not much demand I guess.

oceans777

Listener
The film is off of mine, no vision problems and it's not just mine that's having this issue, also the keypad being so dim that it's not clear in a dark room.
Edited to add:
I cleared all settings on mine and reset, changed from the supplied power adapter to DC and it's now quite a bit brighter - I'll test the adapter later maybe it's a bad power supply but I can live with the keypad as long as the screen stays well lit.

Last edited:

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Agreed, I asked ScannerMaster about that today, and they said they were not allowed to open stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I was in the market, I'd do this... be upfront of course... Purchase it. Then it's yours to do as you please. Ask them to open it and plug it in for a test. Saves them shipping it out and you shipping back a possibly defective unit. Win win. Plus lots of good will. etc

mule1075

Feed Provider
If I was in the market, I'd do this... be upfront of course... Purchase it. Then it's yours to do as you please. Ask them to open it and plug it in for a test. Saves them shipping it out and you shipping back a possibly defective unit. Win win. Plus lots of good will. etc
Highly unlikely they would do that either. It is not there job to test the scanner just sell it.

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Highly unlikely they would do that either. It is not there job to test the scanner just sell it.

I see your point. But, if they want more sales, they'd do it instead of sitting on a bunch of boxes not moving. Money talks.
Also, retailers have a bit more clout than individuals.

Worse they could say is no. Then no money exchanges hands... It's worth a 2 minute conversation for some piece of mind.

mule1075

Feed Provider
I see your point. But, if they want more sales, they'd do it instead of sitting on a bunch of boxes not moving. Money talks.
Also, retailers have a bit more clout than individuals.

Worse they could say is no. Then no money exchanges hands... It's worth a 2 minute conversation for some piece of mind.
And if they would do that they could potentially hit you for a restocking fee even if you did not receive it. Better off just getting it and if there is an issue send it in for warranty repair it would be cheaper in the long run.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Those lights are pretty much standard on the ethernet jacks of networked devices, and do serve a purpose. However, there are devices that allow those lights to be disabled. Perhaps a firmware revision could address that if the part Uniden used allows for it. The lights are not an issue for me.
Not a problem for me but my XYL says it's like a strobe light when we go to bed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I agree with your characterization of the hum/noise "issue" - the only time I can hear it is if I put my ear within inches of the speaker. I can see where this might be an issue with a powered external speaker, but not with the internal or an unpowered external speaker. The unit's audio power is more than adequate in my noisey vehicle.

As for the keypad backlighting, I'm not sure if this is a defect in some units or the variability of individual eyesight and / or preference. My workspace is always dimly lit (computer monitors, device display screens and task lighting provide the only illumination) and I can easily see the backlit keys. The SDS200 display screen in this space is set at roughly half of full brightness
Well, I own 2 of the SDS 200s and one is brighter than the other. Same eyes but that said both are readable in a dark room.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

tkowalik

Banned
FWIW, my keypad backlight is so dim it’s practically useless. But it doesn’t really bother me.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Mine is not as bright as it could be, but I understand that it is the new norm,. That being said, if I flick off the lights I can clearly read the keypad in the dark. Would I like it brighter? Yeah, in the dark it could be a tad bit brighter. Just a tad.

BigC801

Mine is not as bright as it could be, but I understand that it is the new norm,. That being said, if I flick off the lights I can clearly read the keypad in the dark. Would I like it brighter? Yeah, in the dark it could be a tad bit brighter. Just a tad.

That's the difference, with the lights off I still can't see mine, or with your hands cupped over the keypad.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
What happened to dimming and brightening the keypad, along with the screen brightness settings?

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Hi! Somehow or another I’ve missed this thread. I sent my SDS200 back to Uniden this week. My problem was a flickering display, as best as I can explain it, the digital readout (Alfa display) instead of being crisp and clear is flickering. Very difficult to view for any length of time, although these old eyes are’nt helping. I have a second SDS200 and a 100 to use while the unit is being repaired.

I hope Uniden will open a sticky, for repair dedicated to the SDS200 and SDS100 scanners.

Thanks.

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Hi! Somehow or another I’ve missed this thread. I sent my SDS200 back to Uniden this week. My problem was a flickering display, as best as I can explain it, the digital readout (Alfa display) instead of being crisp and clear is flickering. Very difficult to view for any length of time, although these old eyes are’nt helping. I have a second SDS200 and a 100 to use while the unit is being repaired.

I hope Uniden will open a sticky, for repair dedicated to the SDS200 and SDS100 scanners.

Thanks.
Did you ever get yours back from Uniden and did they fix the Keypad brightness? I've submitted photos but the camera makes the keypad brighter than what it truly is in person and Uniden isn't will to work with folks with poor backlit keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.