OP25 Setting up op25 to stream to broadcastify

Status
Not open for further replies.

monorailmedic

Feed Provider
Yup, this is why I was suggesting running the op25.liq script from a terminal window where it could printed the log to the screen.
I went to do this and felt dumb (again). op25.liq isn't executable, so in what context were you suggesting I execute it from the command line? I can see executing /usr/bin/liquidsoap and using some operators to define what is written in op25.liq (though I'd need to do some digging there).

wgbecks

To execute liquidsoap from the terminal, you simply enter "/usr/bin/liquidsoap op25.liq" from the command line where right there before your vary eyes will appear the terminal output from liquidsoap that @boatbod had referenced in an effort to help you determine why liquidsoap was aborting at startup.

Being that your endgame is to stream to braodcastify.come you'll want to completely dispense with manual terminal input to start op25 and liquidsoap. The best way to accomplish this and to automate the process is to rung both as a service under control of systemd. To that end let me direct your attenton to ~/op25/README-rpi3-liquidsoap where you'll want to follow the example instruction to install the services files and then how to enable and activate them.

Running op25 and liquidsoap as services provides you with an excellent method to insure that both applications start automatically in additon to supervison by systemd that will attempt to restart either application in the event of a fault condition. This option makes for a very nice and easy hands-off operation that compliments running your Raspberry Pi headless. Just set it and forget it!

Bill

Last edited:

monorailmedic

Feed Provider
To execute liquidsoap from the terminal, you simply enter "/usr/bin/liquidsoap op25.liq" from the command line where right there before your vary eyes will appear the terminal output from liquidsoap that @boatbod had referenced in an effort to help you determine why liquidsoap was aborting at startup.
Awesome and easy. Thanks.

Being that your endgame is to stream to braodcastify.come you'll want to completely dispense with manual terminal input to start op25 and liquidsoap. The best way to accomplish this and to automate the process is to rung both as a service under control of systemd.
Already done :) I was streaming for months, I've just moved to liquidsoap, so I just had to change a few things around and everything again starts at boot and is maintained. As I just typed this I realized something REAL silly...I could have seen how to execute op25.liq by looking at the service. SMH.

One day I will get better at this.

Thanks for all your help.

wgbecks

Already done :) I was streaming for months, I've just moved to liquidsoap, so I just had to change a few things around and everything again starts at boot and is maintained. As I just typed this I realized something REAL silly...I could have seen how to execute op25.liq by looking at the service. SMH.

Learning Linux is a lot like the old Ringo Starr song, "It don't come easy"... :) Bill

faff29

I am quite confused by the use of liquid soap and how to set it up. I have looked at the README file as well as the .xml file and just cannot figure out exactly what I have to put where. I have been off and on running darkice and the audio loop which I have working right now, but for the life of me can't figure out how to setup liquid soap. Can anyone one be of a little more assistance?

faff29

Are you able to help me setup liquid soap? I can't figure out where to put my mount point, broadcasting server, port, password and such. Basically I can't figure out how to run liquid soap at all.

hhca

./apps/op25.liq has the settings, look at last line for feed details
sudo systemctl enable op25-liq op25-rx to enable both services

faff29

./apps/op25.liq has the settings, look at last line for feed details
sudo systemctl enable op25-liq op25-rx to enable both services

Thank you, I see those files, but when I enter the command together or separate the service files I get an error that says:
Failed to enable unit: Unit file op25-liq.service does not exist.

I attempted this from the main directory as well as the directory that the files reside in.

boatbod

Thank you, I see those files, but when I enter the command together or separate the service files I get an error that says:
Failed to enable unit: Unit file op25-liq.service does not exist.

I attempted this from the main directory as well as the directory that the files reside in.
I assume you already installed the liquidsoap package?
After that, you might want to edit the service script file to make the hard-coded path names match your environment.
Then after that you need to copy the service script where systemd will find it (as follows) and start it up:
Code:
sudo cp ~/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/op25-liq.service /etc/systemd/system/
sudo systemctl enable op25-liquid
sudo systemctl start op25-liquid

faff29

I assume you already installed the liquidsoap package?
After that, you might want to edit the service script file to make the hard-coded path names match your environment.
Then after that you need to copy the service script where systemd will find it (as follows) and start it up:
Code:
sudo cp ~/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/apps/op25-liq.service /etc/systemd/system/
sudo systemctl enable op25-liquid
sudo systemctl start op25-liquid

So if I follow the README-rpi3-liquidsoap file all I change in the op25.liq file is the data in the last line correct? Also when installing the liquid soap package it asks for passwords are they all relevant?

boatbod

So if I follow the README-rpi3-liquidsoap file all I change in the op25.liq file is the data in the last line correct? Also when installing the liquid soap package it asks for passwords are they all relevant?
The password prompt is because the script is executing "sudo" which requires admin privs.

faff29

The password prompt is because the script is executing "sudo" which requires admin privs.

I misspoke, it was icecast that is asking for the passwords. Can I assume that the Icecast host name is my broadcastify address and all 3 passwords it asks for are my pi's password?

boatbod

I misspoke, it was icecast that is asking for the passwords. Can I assume that the Icecast host name is my broadcastify address and all 3 passwords it asks for are my pi's password?
The passwords in the .liq file are those required for the streaming server mount point.
If icecast is asking for a password I assume you are attempting to run a local icecast server? If I recall (and it's been a while) you have to set some default passwords when you first install the package. You can change these later by editing the /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml file.

faff29

The passwords in the .liq file are those required for the streaming server mount point.
If icecast is asking for a password I assume you are attempting to run a local icecast server? If I recall (and it's been a while) you have to set some default passwords when you first install the package. You can change these later by editing the /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml file.

Thank you for all your help. I have it streaming now but am stuck on 1 more item. It is not sending the alpha tags. the -M meta.py is set, and I have the trunk.tsv and (city.tsv) files in there. On my computer I can see the alpha tags streaming but not on the broadcastify feed.

wgbecks

Assuming your tag file is setup and working from your trunk.tsv then you should see the tags appear in the console. That being true then if
using rx.py, verify you have (-M meta.json) on your command line and be sure to have configured the file meta.json with the same identical
mount point, server, port, and password as your broadcastify.com feed was setup with in your op25.liq file.

faff29

I think I have most of it figured out now. Thank you all for the help. The only 2 things I'm still stuck on is how to get the 2 files to start automatically. I followed the directions to make them services but that didn't seem to work. The other issue I am having is that my "black list" tags are still flowing through.

wgbecks

faff29,

I am willing to work with you by phone if you still need help. Just send me a PM with your email and I will reply accordingly.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.