Sevier county

Status
Not open for further replies.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Hmmmmm, I think they are on their own program. I seem to recall seeing a thread about this recently and everyone mentioned they are very quiet. PF is a pretty good piece from the Air Guard base at McGhee-Tyson. Maybe on a drill weekend it might have a little more chatter, but for the most part those guys aren’t getting much action.

I sent you an email.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
But there is actually NG talk groups on TACN. I just don’t know if you’ll hear them or not. I’d kind of doubt it.

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber

zachgallop

PFPD TAC 2 (48003) is the only one I have heard encrypted and it is selectable. Most units that use it do not have it turned on. They use TAC2 for training drills and their Street Crimes Unit mostly. If you also want to program in the TNDIST2 talk groups and the law mutual aid talkgroups they are also very active throughout the week with various federal, state, and local law enforcement. LE MUTAID 4, 5, and 6 are the ones for THP District 1 Knoxville. There is not as much traffic as there was, because they use their talkgroups for some OPS now. UT Lifestar is active on TACN as well, if you are interested in monitoring them.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Yes they are active talkgroups ;)

Nice.

PFPD TAC 2 (48003) is the only one I have heard encrypted and it is selectable. Most units that use it do not have it turned on. They use TAC2 for training drills and their Street Crimes Unit mostly. If you also want to program in the TNDIST2 talk groups and the law mutual aid talkgroups they are also very active throughout the week with various federal, state, and local law enforcement. LE MUTAID 4, 5, and 6 are the ones for THP District 1 Knoxville. There is not as much traffic as there was, because they use their talkgroups for some OPS now. UT Lifestar is active on TACN as well, if you are interested in monitoring them.

I saved all the talkgroups in to a favorite list to listen to when I visit Pigeon Forge.

Thank you everyone who has replied. :D

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
Nice.

I saved all the talkgroups in to a favorite list to listen to when I visit Pigeon Forge.

Thank you everyone who has replied. :D
Have a good trip! Use Veterans Parkway in Sevier County to avoid some of the downtown traffic if you are ever in a rush.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Have a good trip! Use Veterans Parkway in Sevier County to avoid some of the downtown traffic if you are ever in a rush.

Last question...What is the NAC code for TACN for that area of Sevierville?

Trooper78

Premium Subscriber
I live here in the area, and PF PD is not encrypted. Listen to them daily. Sevier county, good luck. I never hear them, and I have a Uniden BCD536HP scanner with the upgrades. THP is very busy on here, as well as Blount county......

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I am back, hopefully someone will see this and answer it but with the area being on what system, NXDN? It says partial encrption on every talk group of the land air communication, I am considering getting the upgrade, is this able to be monitored, is dispatch in the clear? thanks for any info or help Land Air Communications (NXDN) Trunking System, Various, Tennessee - Scanner Frequencies (radioreference.com)
On the Land Air NexEDGE (NXDN TRS), you will get very lucky sometimes, and I mean sometimes, and hear anything not encrypted. 90 % of all comms are fully encrypted. On the conventional NXDN (also LAC's baby) you may get luckier than on the TRS, but again its "don't hold your breath" territory. You can catch a bit on the Mutual Aid analog CH. The NXDN, and DMR upgrades are always good to have as there are a lot of those systems in use. But I wouldn't do it JUST for Sevier County, TN. Its like ever expecting to hear B'Ham PD again... Just ain't gonna happen.

zachgallop

On the Land Air NexEDGE (NXDN TRS), you will get very lucky sometimes, and I mean sometimes, and hear anything not encrypted. 90 % of all comms are fully encrypted. On the conventional NXDN (also LAC's baby) you may get luckier than on the TRS, but again its "don't hold your breath" territory. You can catch a bit on the Mutual Aid analog CH. The NXDN, and DMR upgrades are always good to have as there are a lot of those systems in use. But I wouldn't do it JUST for Sevier County, TN. Its like ever expecting to hear B'Ham PD again... Just ain't gonna happen.

Everything that I know of public safety wise on land air is encrypted full time. As far as the mobiles and portables go for public safety, I do not think there is a way to turn the encryption off. Dispatch may have a way to turn it off and on, but from the mobiles and portables I have seen do not seem to have the ability in them. The conventional NXDN channels for Sevier are now encrypted as well, at least on the law enforcement side they are. I have not seen a fire department subscriber radio for Sevier County. But Gatlinburg PD Ski Mtn Repeater, Sevierville PD Ridgecrest Repeater, and Sevier County Sheriff Bluff Mtn Repeater are now set to transmit encrypted in LE radios. Sevier County recently upgraded a bunch of radios to the Kenwood NX-5300s, so that is probably when they encrypted the conventional channels.

zachgallop

Everything that I know of public safety wise on land air is encrypted full time. As far as the mobiles and portables go for public safety, I do not think there is a way to turn the encryption off. Dispatch may have a way to turn it off and on, but from the mobiles and portables I have seen do not seem to have the ability in them. The conventional NXDN channels for Sevier are now encrypted as well, at least on the law enforcement side they are. I have not seen a fire department subscriber radio for Sevier County. But Gatlinburg PD Ski Mtn Repeater, Sevierville PD Ridgecrest Repeater, and Sevier County Sheriff Bluff Mtn Repeater are now set to transmit encrypted in LE radios. Sevier County recently upgraded a bunch of radios to the Kenwood NX-5300s, so that is probably when they encrypted the conventional channels.
786835B2-7081-4652-AAA1-73A439F41166.jpeg

Attachments

• 1B26E43B-5E82-4904-A5A4-2CAB1F81A138.jpeg
    1B26E43B-5E82-4904-A5A4-2CAB1F81A138.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 14

ToTheBitCave

Phreakness Monster
Premium Subscriber
Hmmmmm, I think they are on their own program. I seem to recall seeing a thread about this recently and everyone mentioned they are very quiet. PF is a pretty good piece from the Air Guard base at McGhee-Tyson. Maybe on a drill weekend it might have a little more chatter, but for the most part those guys aren’t getting much action.

I sent you an email.

I was lucky enough enough to hear some air traffic today, but it was just a pilot reporting wheels down and that was it. It has been quiet ever since.

FC72CF6F-6A56-4B79-888A-CE78EA56F331.jpeg

KN4EHX

Premium Subscriber
I was lucky enough enough to hear some air traffic today, but it was just a pilot reporting wheels down and that was it. It has been quiet ever since.

View attachment 104538
I keep putting off buying one of those. My luck when I do they will come out with a newer more capable model.

That not only looks super cool but it makes listening to many things wayyy easier. I’m rather impressed. I assume it was in the clear? The Greentop site has unusually good coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.