SIRN

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Sure did. No idea how that happened but it’s fixed

It happens. Given some of the strong RF sources you have access to at your top-o-the-county location, it could have been some local DMR signal so strong that it overloaded the frontend and ended up superimposing some DMR signal (like Wint PD or something) over top of the actual signal you were trying to monitor. So using "d" to disregard data is good, since it purges what was collected in memory by DSDPlus during its current session and starts figuring out the signal again from scratch.

kc4jgc

Putnam County SO:
I've been wanting to pose this question here for quite a while. Now that I remember, here goes:

Whenever I'm in the area, which is often, the Putnam SO TG keys up every few seconds. I've been noting this since last year at least.
Curious as to why this has been happening and if the SO even realize this. I figure they have to hear it. It doesn't happen on any other SIRN talk group along the I-64/I-77 corridors nor along I-81.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I'm finding it odd that the system would give channel grants to 9019 on the Martinsburg site.. I presumed that TG would be valid only on sites in the Beckley region.. The reason I say that is that I am always seeing a ton of affiliation denials on the OC simulcast from radios on 9001 Fairmont and 9013 Parkersburg and occasional denials from other WVSP dispatch TGs.....
On the Ohio Co site, I have never ever, not a single time, seen an affiliation or channel grant issued to a radio on any State Police talkgroup other than the local Moundsville 9003. And because of this observation, I just assumed that all State Police dispatch talkgroups statewide were only valid in their home region- unless what I have observed over the last 10 years is just an anomaly of the Ohio County site...

Been seeing more 9007 TG traffic on the Martinsburg (Berkeley) Site. Maybe someone has a radio and access to that TG and affiliation off of the local tower and monitoring it "because they can". I know I would if I had access to everything.

Mylan

Feed Provider
Been seeing more 9007 TG traffic on the Martinsburg (Berkeley) Site. Maybe someone has a radio and access to that TG and affiliation off of the local tower and monitoring it "because they can". I know I would if I had access to everything.
Between your post from a couple weeks ago and my recent observations in Ohio County, it has become apparent that SIRN has now turned loose all the WVSP dispatch talkgroups because I no longer see any denials from those TGs as I always had previously... Since July 13, I now see and hear radio calls on Fairmont dispatch 9001 on a daily basis up here in Wheeling and also get occasional radio traffic from Charleston's dispatch 9011... Prior to this month, those State Police dispatch TGs were most certainly confined to their respective areas.... So if nothing changes back to the way it had been, I would expect that this will continue and most likely at some point other SP dispatch channels will become active if a trooper from another Troop or district is in the area or someone is playing with a radio....
It's always possible that this change happened for a reason. For example some higher up trooper/commander who is from Martinsburg is now assigned to Romney and possibly complained that he/she was not able to listen to their barrack's radio traffic when at home so the powers that be made that happen... Maybe take note about what times 9007 is active in Martinsburg and see if there is any pattern to it... I did that for a TG on Ohio's MARCS and found that the out of area TG was only active on nights, early morning, and on weekends.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
Been seeing more 9007 TG traffic on the Martinsburg (Berkeley) Site.

Maybe take note about what times 9007 is active in Martinsburg and see if there is any pattern to it...

Mike,
Have you been hearing actual comms or just seeing 9007 TGID affilations? I guess it does make sense that any Troop 2 radio should be allowed to affiliate within Troop 2's entire region--even if it is from another detachment--in this case, a Detachment 2 radio affiliating in Detachment 1's area. I know that I routinely hear Detachment 1 (9005) transmissions on Ridge and Romney towers--so much so that I lock it out when it's too busy. I think we "spoke" about that one before.

I'll try to follow up on Mylan's idea and monitor 9007 to see if there's any pattern. If I use several scanners--each on separate towers--say, Martinsburg as well as Ridge and Romney, I'm wondering if I'll hear the same transmission on all of them. Or it could be just as you guys said, someone could just be listening in because they can.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Looks like I hit Post Reply too soon... just heard Unit 578 (a trooper that I haven't heard before) mark up with a DL check on all three towers (Martinsburg, Ridge, & Romney) at the same time. Even more puzzling, it sounded like the Charles Town dispatcher, too.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Between your post from a couple weeks ago and my recent observations in Ohio County, it has become apparent that SIRN has now turned loose all the WVSP dispatch talkgroups because I no longer see any denials from those TGs as I always had previously... Since July 13, I now see and hear radio calls on Fairmont dispatch 9001 on a daily basis up here in Wheeling and also get occasional radio traffic from Charleston's dispatch 9011... Prior to this month, those State Police dispatch TGs were most certainly confined to their respective areas.... So if nothing changes back to the way it had been, I would expect that this will continue and most likely at some point other SP dispatch channels will become active if a trooper from another Troop or district is in the area or someone is playing with a radio....
It's always possible that this change happened for a reason. For example some higher up trooper/commander who is from Martinsburg is now assigned to Romney and possibly complained that he/she was not able to listen to their barrack's radio traffic when at home so the powers that be made that happen... Maybe take note about what times 9007 is active in Martinsburg and see if there is any pattern to it... I did that for a TG on Ohio's MARCS and found that the out of area TG was only active on nights, early morning, and on weekends.

The last traffic I saw for 9007 on the Berkeley site was 07/31/2021 at 16:03.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I would not be surprised if WVSP radios have full state roaming authority. Any of their radios should be able to move freely throughout the state and affiliate as needed.

Bethanylt241

In reference to the WV State Police. I am receiving transmission from TGID 9011 ( Troop 4 Command- South Charleston) coming off Ohio County Simulcast. Can’t really tell if its a local trooper or maybe there talking to Fairmont Dispatch. I did here “421 to Charleston” though.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Mike-
I've been monitoring this quite a bit over the last few days, and I'm more convinced than ever that this is just WV State Police SOP. Given the massive patrol area these guys have, and the ease of linking multiple sites within a wide area trunking system, it's more likely that the WVSP have more sites cross-linked by default without the need for a dispatcher or tech person to cross-link them.

Case in point: yesterday I heard a detachment 2 trooper on a welfare check down in Dorcas--south of Petersburg in Grant Co. I was able to hear his transmissions on the Romney, Ridge and Martinsburg towers--and I'll bet they were also carried by the Petersburg and Moorefield towers, too. I think this just may be a redundancy built into the WVSP part of the system, given that when a trooper needs help, that help may have to come from a few counties away.

That's just my 2 cents--I know my trunking tech terminology may be off, but these days I'm lucky to remember my own address.

Take care,

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
There is no need to 'link sites' together, they already are. It's called SIRN. A site does not need or want to transmit any specific talkgroup unless a radio is affiliated to that site on that talkgroup. They certainly don't do it for our listening pleasure. If you are hearing a group on a certain site or multiple, it's because a radio has affiliated to that group on that site.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
As I said, I know my terminology is incorrect, but I have been told--perhaps incorrectly--by several dispatchers that they have the ability to link, patch or otherwise join several sites when needed. That was my basic point. Perhaps I misunderstood what I was told by the dispatchers, but I do understand the concepts of affiliation and the idea of a wide area networked system.

redbeard

Database Admin
As I said, I know my terminology is incorrect, but I have been told--perhaps incorrectly--by several dispatchers that they have the ability to link, patch or otherwise join several sites when needed. That was my basic point. Perhaps I misunderstood what I was told by the dispatchers, but I do understand the concepts of affiliation and the idea of a wide area networked system.
A site is a tower/transmitter. The sites are linked via the SIRN network already. Having towers transmit talkgroups that nobody is listening to is pointless and a waste of resources. The only reason more than one site will transmit the same talkgroup is due to someone affiliating to those sites. Simulcast sites are multiple towers but all on the same frequencies and only count as 1 site.

Dispatchers can patch talkgroups together, this happens all the time to link users together for pursuits or to have one dispatcher cover more than one area. It does not cause multiple sites to transmit that talkgroup when nobody is affiliated to the site on either the main talkgroup or the patched group(s). If you hear a Troop 4 talkgroup on the Ohio County site, it's because a radio is affiliated. If you hear that same traffic with Parkersburg on 9001 or 9003, the groups are probably patched.

This is all done to conserve resources so that every tower in the state doesn't light up for every transmission. This is also why some radios/talkgroups have restrictions on which sites they can affiliate to so that someone doesn't drag a group from the south end of the state all the way to the north. But typically state users (esp law enforcement) have statewide roaming capability. And it's just as likely that a dispatcher sitting in Moundsville has multiple radios or a console capable of monitoring multiple groups and is using that ability to listen to other groups around the state.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
A site is a tower/transmitter.
Thanks for that... I feel smarter already. :)

You bring up a good point about patches, though. What physical actions have to be done to patch together two talkgroups? Can it be as simple as a button press or is it generally accomplished via a computer?

redbeard

Database Admin
Thanks for that... I feel smarter already. :)

You bring up a good point about patches, though. What physical actions have to be done to patch together two talkgroups? Can it be as simple as a button press or is it generally accomplished via a computer?
Consoles are computers these days but it's just a few clicks. Maybe less so if it's a macro.

Can also be done more permanently in the case of RF links to static frequencies like an interop repeater or simplex aeromedical freq.

BM82557

Just started seeing TGs 9007 and 9019 on the Martinsburg site. Never heard (doesn't mean it never has been) 9019 on any site close and 9007 is usually only on the Hampshire Co. sites. I can check Unitrunker in a little while.

Stats on WVSP TG activity on the Berkeley County site (current as of time of posting, approx 4:25pm local 8/6). Interesting how the last activity on 9005 was at 8:58 am this morning while 9007 has been busy all day --

Screenshot - 8_6_2021 , 16_27_58.png

Screenshot - 8_6_2021 , 16_38_53.png

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
In reference to the WV State Police. I am receiving transmission from TGID 9011 ( Troop 4 Command- South Charleston) coming off Ohio County Simulcast. Can’t really tell if its a local trooper or maybe there talking to Fairmont Dispatch. I did here “421 to Charleston” though.

Been seeing it on the Martinsburg site as well.