Stark County Ohio

Nasby

Since Stark County has moved to the MARCS system my scanner just isn’t cutting it. I has been recommended for me to purchase a Uniden SDS200 - who has one? Do you like it? Are you able to get Massillon, Jackson, etc on it? Is it clear? Before I shell out that kind of money I want to make sure it is the right scanner for me. Is it easy to program (I have a homepatrol 2 and use the sentinel software download now).

The SDS100/200 uses the same Sentinel software as your HP2. So it should be a breeze to setup if you know how to use Sentinel.

xusmarine1979

Since Stark County has moved to the MARCS system my scanner just isn’t cutting it. I has been recommended for me to purchase a Uniden SDS200 - who has one? Do you like it? Are you able to get Massillon, Jackson, etc on it? Is it clear? Before I shell out that kind of money I want to make sure it is the right scanner for me. Is it easy to program (I have a homepatrol 2 and use the sentinel software download now).

Well, I can't speak for the 200, but I assume the 100 is pretty much the same just in base/mobile version. I believe I posted earlier in this thread of some of my recordings either from home, driving around and at work onto my youtube channel. It really does an outstanding job on MARCS, I either listen to Stark or Summit's systems. Here are a few videos I've done if you want an example... Jonthescannerguy

Posie777

Question 1. For simulcast distortion in Stark County, what indoor directional antennas are recommended ? And is easily connect to WS1065 scanner and lay it within 6 feet. (it will be sitting in my office room). Closest tower Albrecht is 3.5 miles away. Also, how can I be sure that I'm pointing the antenna toward that closer tower ?

Question 2. Got 3 scanners. All are one year old WS1065. They are programmed the same and in the same location. The factory telescope antennas are shorted and pointed in same direction. Scanner A and B are giving me some understandable audio, garble and silence. (hoping an antenna with help here)
But scanner C is not the same. C is showing a flash of transmission, a click / chirp here or there, no talking or garble, mostly all silent. I have done a lot of uploads on scanner C .. Perhaps it is "worn out". The Win500 software will reset the scanner back to default when I upload. I also can do it by turning scanner off then pressing keys 0 1 ent.
So .. can any of you fine folks solve this puzzle? .... What is wrong with scanner C ?
Thank you in advance.

If I can't fix this scanner C, I may buy a SDS for myself . But I need to find a resolve (antenna) for the elderly folks who owns those WS1065 scanners .

Last edited:

Nasby

Anyone know what's up with Alliance Police and Fire?
They are still on the old system.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Anyone know what's up with Alliance Police and Fire?
They are still on the old system.

They are the last emergency services to move over. B&C Communications is working on them. The whole project just turned out to last longer than anticipated. Very last will be Canton City Services like water, street dept., garbage, etc.

eng64

Any news on when North Lawrence will make the switch to the MARCS system?

Last edited by a moderator:

ESFFSW911

Premium Subscriber
This is just a guess, N Lawrence and the rest of Cen Comm departments will not switch until Cen Comm gets their consoles. Last I heard the haven't even started installing yet.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Lots of testing this morning on 45023. They have not identified agency. I am leaning towards Alliance Fire as mtindor has it listed in his unknowns as being affiliated with other FD radios.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
I need help with my Homepatrol 2 for Stark County

I am in the same boat with a one year old WS1065

I just programmed two different Whistler scanners, a 1065 and a 1040 for some friends. Both have the same issue. It is not garbled audio which is the classic issue with older digital scanners on simulcast systems. It is just crappy control channel receive. These two scanners received the old Stark system as well as old MARCS great with 5 bars of signal. Now they struggle to get even one bar on the simulcast. My SDS100 sitting right next to them gets full bars. As a result, they will miss half the transmissions that the SDS100 picks up. I am convinced it is an issue receiving a simulcast control channel more than anything else.

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
Wow. Classic example tonight of why everyone on the same radio system will work great when it happens. We had East Sparta Fire, Tri-Division Ambulance, Canton Twp Fire, and Canton City Fire all looking for 3 vehicles involved in an MVA but spread out over 3 to 4 miles on route 77. Two different dispatch centers not communicating with each other. If all agencies had gone to a MAC at the start of this incident, it would have gone much smoother.