Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

AirScan

Premium Subscriber
09:10 local time - monitoring a medical type call on 129.450 right now.

Yes this is my point, they should be using 129.450 and 129.400 in this area for phone patches. Leave 129.900 (Maritimenet) clear to issue HF frequencies. Just listen to 129.900 during the morning rush and you can see how a phone patch would totally screw things up. The ARINC coverage charts should be updated to make that clear IMHO. I don't understand why the New York ARINC operators even do it, I guess they can get away with it in off peak times ?

Standard procedure in this area is for ARINC on VHF (129.900) to assign the HF frequencies, even for CPDLC aircraft. Presumably set up that way to reduce the workload on the ZNY Domestic controllers (133.500), who currently don't have CPDLC capability. Yes if you had to, you could ask the ZWY New York Oceanic controllers on CPDLC for the HF frequencies, but it's not really their job at that point, and not the current "procedure". Once inside ZWY airspace the standard procedure, as you note, is for ZWY (not ARINC) to issue the VHF frequencies directly if CPDLC equipped. Just the way it is.

I don't know why they don't issue the HF frequencies via CPDLC as a standard practice, it would definately make things easier. I'm guessing it has something to do with it currently beings ARINCs job and they don't have CPDLC capability like ZWY does ?

Interesting conversation but maybe a bit off topic for this forum ?

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Looks like a little time at the beach house for POTUS

VIP Notice - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Notice Number: NOTC2191
Notice: Expect VIP movement December 27-30, 2021 in the vicinity of Rehoboth Beach, DE
That leaves Potus in DC for possible surprise Holiday visit the next couple of days,especially tomorrow.
Could be road trip locally or fly off to Mil base perhaps or nothing at all.I'm sure with his low poll numbers someone in WH
is suggesting this but Covid might complicate things as well.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
That leaves Potus in DC for possible surprise Holiday visit the next couple of days,especially tomorrow.
Could be road trip locally or fly off to Mil base perhaps or nothing at all.I'm sure with his low poll numbers someone in WH
is suggesting this but Covid might complicate things as well.

Mrs Potus heads to Children's National Hospital in DC tomorrow, no word on hubby

Mark

Premium Subscriber
On Potus Holiday surprise visits its always the same procedure as have Press keep mouths shut till they reach destination.
Course that was back in the day GWB and others would do occasional sneak visit to Afghanistan or Iraq but thankfully not needed there anymore.
I still remember GWB departed Andrews in AF-1 with the spoof mode s of a Andrews C-141.I think pilots were using a SAM callsign as well.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
On Potus Holiday surprise visits its always the same procedure as have Press keep mouths shut till they reach destination.
Course that was back in the day GWB and others would do occasional sneak visit to Afghanistan or Iraq but thankfully not needed there anymore.
I still remember GWB departed Andrews in AF-1 with the spoof mode s of a Andrews C-141.I think pilots were using a SAM callsign as well.

I remember Trump doing that on a Thanksgiving day visit

freqhopping

Wouldn't have been a 141. They never made it to the days of mode-S.

Trump's flight Sticky Thread For Mid-Atlantic MilAir 2018

For a 2013 trip to South Africa AE13DF was used.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber

TerryPavlick

Premium Subscriber
Yes this is my point, they should be using 129.450 and 129.400 in this area for phone patches. Leave 129.900 (Maritimenet) clear to issue HF frequencies. Just listen to 129.900 during the morning rush and you can see how a phone patch would totally screw things up. The ARINC coverage charts should be updated to make that clear IMHO. I don't understand why the New York ARINC operators even do it, I guess they can get away with it in off peak times ?

Standard procedure in this area is for ARINC on VHF (129.900) to assign the HF frequencies, even for CPDLC aircraft. Presumably set up that way to reduce the workload on the ZNY Domestic controllers (133.500), who currently don't have CPDLC capability. Yes if you had to, you could ask the ZWY New York Oceanic controllers on CPDLC for the HF frequencies, but it's not really their job at that point, and not the current "procedure". Once inside ZWY airspace the standard procedure, as you note, is for ZWY (not ARINC) to issue the VHF frequencies directly if CPDLC equipped. Just the way it is.

I don't know why they don't issue the HF frequencies via CPDLC as a standard practice, it would definately make things easier. I'm guessing it has something to do with it currently beings ARINCs job and they don't have CPDLC capability like ZWY does ?

Interesting conversation but maybe a bit off topic for this forum ?

While I can understand your thinking about this - the amount of on air time that is consumed by a phone patch is small compared to the dead air time on ARINC frequencies. ARINC is the reason that the following band exists here in the USA.

Frequencies (MHz): 128.825 - 132.000
Use: Domestic VHF (Operational Control)

Forty to Fifty years ago ARINC petitioned the government to allocate the band group for use by airlines for air to ground communication. Since every airline (okay most airlines) worldwide use technology developed by ARINC, I know they have an understanding of the needs and requirements of their customers. Probably the reason they were such an attractive buy for Collins Aerospace since Collins original business was black boxes of all types. I have handled Collins avionics equipment - literally - since the late 70's so it was a good buy for them.

More than happy to pick up the conversation in a different thread if you wish.

Terry

Speaking of 129.900 - I was monitoring it and had previously seen this Azur Air 767 on my tracking and was surprised to hear them on 129.900 since I thought they were going to stay close to land. Guess they decided to make a left turn,...

mdmonitor

VIP Movement Summary 22-23 Dec

22 Dec

SAM 972 (C-37 # 11-0550) ADW-Dallas TX
SAM 941 (C-40 # 01-0015) Atalanta GA-ADW

23 Dec

SAM 960 (C-37 # 18-1942) Denver CO-ADW
SAM 976 (C-32 # 99-0004) ADW-Los Angeles-ADW
SAM 893 (C-32 # 98-0002) Eastern Europe-ADW
SAM 972 (C-37 # 1100050) Dallas-ADW
SAM 874 (C-40 # 01-0041) Anchoragwe AK?-ADW

Mark

Premium Subscriber

Mark

Premium Subscriber
BOBBY-71 KC-135 #57-1493 from MacDill off and running SE towards the Carib area.
Tuesday had a BOBBY-71 out of TN ANG did loop down that way and rtb via Florida coast and
back to Tennessee.

10:15am Monitoring DCA tower via their webcam BLACKJACK-1 busy in area between Andrews and DC and NIGHTHAWK-6 entering airspace.

Last edited:

wbagley

Premium Subscriber
10:15am Monitoring DCA tower via their webcam BLACKJACK-1 busy in area between Andrews and DC and NIGHTHAWK-6 entering airspace.

At 11 am/1600Z N22PP EAGLE TWO doing the sweep around the White House that usually portends an imminent MARINE ONE departure from the South Lawn.

At 11:08 am EAGLE TWO back home in the Eagle's Nest heliport in Anacostia.

N22PP 47.JPGBiden Christmas Eve.png

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
At 11 am/1600Z N22PP EAGLE TWO doing the sweep around the White House that usually portends an imminent MARINE ONE departure from the South Lawn.

Motorcade with both to FLOTUS Children's National Hospital visit mentioned yesterday. First time a sitting president has visited

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.