Sticky Thread for MilAir II

Status
Not open for further replies.

freqhopping

Here's a link for a recording (5MB 22min) of the early morning Falcon Virgo exercises. It covers from 0008 to 0425 hours.

The first fighters had the callsign DIAL. I've never heard them before. Where are they from?
BRAVEs started at 0348 hours.

This second part runs from 0434 to 0524 hours. I was surprised that exercises were still happening when I woke up. That's why I stopped and restarted recording. [650kb 5min]

Targets "being engaged by the ground units". :lol: I don't think they're talking about laser warnings either.

TinEar

freqhopping said:
Here's a link for a recording (5MB 22min) of the early morning Falcon Virgo exercises. It covers from 0008 to 0425 hours.

The first fighters had the callsign DIAL. I've never heard them before. Where are they from?
BRAVEs started at 0348 hours.

This second part runs from 0434 to 0524 hours. I was surprised that exercises were still happening when I woke up. That's why I stopped and restarted recording. [650kb 5min]

Targets "being engaged by the ground units". :lol: I don't think they're talking about laser warnings either.

Travis, I can't get the file to play but want to mention that the first shift, as mentioned above, was probably the VT-ANG F-16s from Langley. However, the last time they scrambled for CAP duty, they used callsign STYLE. Are you fairly sure of the DIAL? I ask only because the first time I heard it, I also thought they said DIAL, then heard them say it 30 more times and was fairly sure of the STYLE as were the others that heard it.

Alan

Last edited:

freqhopping

TinEar said:
Travis, I can't get the file to play but want to mention that the first shift, as mentioned above, was probably the VT-ANG F-16s from Langley. However, the last time they scrambled for CAP duty, they used callsign STYLE. Are you fairly sure of the DIAL? I ask only because the first time I heard it, I also thought they said DIAL, then heard them say it 30 more times and was fairly sure of the STYLE as were the others that heard it.

Alan

It took me a while to make out any callsign other that the 'ile' sound of it. At times it sounds like STYLE, but at other times it really sounds like DIAL.

Gemini

I posted the following to MILCOM in hopes of getting some input from folks who don't frequent this thread but thought I would stick in here as well to try to get a few heads together . I am trying to better ID the 2 freqs discussued.

Post to MILCOM:

Sitting here at work reviewing some audio on a couple of freqs I hear pretty often up here from Southern MD. I wanted to post about them just to reaffirm with anyone interested that they are still being used.

GRAY HAWK 06 (VAW 120 - NORFOLK) with INVADER JACK 250, 227, & 284. up in GK areas conducting apparent Air Intercept training. GRAY HAWK 06 was advising the IJs of target data on both of the following freqs.

267.4 They mentioned this was the primary freq.

383.4 They mentioned this was the secondary

Both of these have been active almost daily. I am used to trying to associate freqs into various "user groups" I know the 267.4 freq is used for other purposes by VAW-120, but I can’t seem to come up with much for the 383.4 freq other than this use with Flight International.

I'd love to be able to figure out if the freq is primarily assigned to Flight International, VAW 120 or possibly even a GK freq.

If anyone would have any input on this I'd love to hear it. This is one of those freqs that is hard to tag.

freqhopping

Early this morning there was some more intercept training by BLACKJACK-1. It started some time around 0130 and didn't seem to last that long. My recording of that lasts about 3 minutes. I haven't looked at the log to see the actual time.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Navy 319 (ID'd as a King Air) off from Willow Grove for training of on board ATC personnel. They plan to work north of Willow Grove (10 miles or so) and then return to shoot some GCA's. 09:15

Tower 119.600
Philly Approach 123.800

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Dover AFB getting ready for new C-17's by activating a new 712th Reserve Maintenence Squadron and soon
the 736th Active squadron for the new birds.
I'm sure we will hear much more locally when that first C-17 arrives later this year.

Scheduled tail numbers for future Dover C-17's.
P-167 06-6167 Dover
P-168 06-6168 Dover
P-169 07-7169 Dover
P 170 07-7170 Dover
P 171 07-7171 Dover
P 172 07-7172 Dover
P 173 07-7173 Dover
P 174 07-7174 Dover
P 175 07-7175 Dover
P 176 07-7176 Dover
P 177 07-7177 Dover
P 178 07-7178 Dover
P 179 07-7179 Dover

Mark

Dover reorganizes for C-17 mission

by 1st Lt. Marnee A.C. Losurdo
512th Airlift Wing Public Affairs

DOVER AIR FORCE BASE, Del. (AFNEWS) -- A ceremony here Feb. 4 marked the
end of a 30-year run of Dover AFB's sole C-5 Galaxy mission and the
beginning of a new era as the base prepares for the first of 13 C-17
Globemaster IIIs scheduled to arrive this summer.

Air Force Reserve Command's 512th Maintenance Group is reorganizing to
accommodate the C-17 mission and align the group with a structure
similar to the rest of the Air Force.

"The C-17 is the future of the Air Force, but all I know is the C-5,"
said Senior Master Sgt. Donald Kimball, a C-5 mechanic and flight chief
with the 512th AMXS. Sergeant Kimball, who has been working on the C-5
since 1978, is one of 85 people who transferred from the C-5 maintenance
unit to the newly activated 712th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron. "It's
an exciting change for the base. For the Airmen who get to work on them,
it's going to broaden their careers, and they'll gain some valuable
knowledge."

Staff Sgt. Kevin Flowers, a C-5 mechanic for eight years and a reservist
for six years, recently completed a six-week C-17 maintenance technical
school at Charleston AFB, S.C. The 712th AMXS maintainer said he was
enthusiastic about taking on the base's newest mission.

The C-17 has newer technology, therefore it takes fewer people to
maintain the aircraft, said Lt. Col. Gretchen Kurlander, the first
commander of the 712th AMXS.

The C-5 unit, the 512th AMXS, has about 170 maintainers -- double that
of the new C-17 maintenance squadron.

Previously, the 512th MXG consisted of an aircraft maintenance squadron,
equipment maintenance squadron, component maintenance squadron and
maintenance operations flight. The group works side-by-side its
active-duty counterpart, the 436th MXG, to maintain the C-5.

The reorganization inactivated the 512th CMS, redesignated the 512th EMS
as the 512th MXS and activated the 712th AMXS, which will assume the
C-17 maintenance mission.

The reorganization transferred CMS people and their mission to the newly
named 512th MXS, and half the people from the 512th Aircraft Maintenance
Squadron, which fixes and repairs the C-5, were reassigned to the 712th
AMXS.

The active-duty's 436th MXG inactivated its CMS and merged it into MXS
June 20, 2005. It will stand up its C-17 maintenance squadron, the 736th
AMXS, this spring.

(Courtesy of Air Force Reserve Command News Service)

Last edited:

Gemini

0939: 309.025 - I have a HOT MIC transmission from a SALTY DOG flight at PAX. Interesting to listen to if you have never heard a dedicated HOT MIC
1226: - 123.275 & 254.025 - Have WB509 up with Ground Station called MCE or MCD. Some sort of flight test but can't tell what at this point

Last edited:

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
FYI - Cross post from Pa Breaking News

Read this article in this mornings Herald-Mail (Hagerstown):

http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=158437&format=html

Friday February 9, 2007

Plane search turns up nothing in Mercersburg
From staff reports
MERCERSBURG, Pa. - Maryland and Pennsylvania State Police searched the area around Whitetail Resort near Mercersburg Thursday evening, but found no sign of an aircraft that a caller reported seeing burst into flames and crash into the mountains.
Pennsylvania State Police, fire engines and ambulances staged at Whitetail Resort, with a Maryland State Police helicopter landing and taking off from the resort's snow tubing area. The helicopter was seen searching in the area of Two Top and Blairs Valley Road, but was unable to spot anything, police said.
The 911 call came in at about 5:45 p.m. from an unknown person using a cell phone in Smithsburg, Cpl. Randy Kane of the Pennsylvania State Police said.
"The caller was having trouble pinpointing a location," Kane said. Smithsburg is about 30 miles from the ski resort.
The caller reported seeing fire coming from the plane, Kane said.
However, the infrared detection equipment on the helicopter was unable to pick up any heat signature that would have been left by wreckage, he said.
Authorities also were looking into a report that a plane experiencing engine trouble was in the area at about the same time, but landed safely at Hagers-town Airport, Kane said.
Hagerstown Regional Airport Manager Carolyn S. Motz said she was unaware of any planes reporting engine problems or having any difficulty with landings at the airport Thursday.
The Whitetail ski patrol also conducted a search in the area without results, Kane said. No other ground searches were conducted Thursday night, he said.
Kane said police checked with the Federal Aviation Administration and there were no reports of missing planes or distress calls from aircraft.
"We are going to put our helicopter up in the morning, just in case it was an aircraft that didn't have to file (a flight plan) with the FAA," Kane said.
Thursday's search was suspended at about 8 p.m., police said.
Staff writers Don Aines, Jennifer Fitch and Karen Hanna contributed to this story.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Just got home from my shoulder therapy session....this is my day off, so I'll try to keep an ear to the radio between other tasks.

I turned the scanner on at about 11:40 and had Navy 319 inbound for landing, full stop, at Willow Grove 119.600. He must have been up since I first reported him earlier this morning.

Both Bollen and Warren Grove are active. 237.2 and 283.100

I'm getting A-10's air-air on 142.300 - MDANG? I never seem to catch callsigns on air-air freqs. Don't know which ranger they're working.

143.825 and 139.875 also have some traffic, but a/c are unidentified at this point. The 139 is probably tankers from McGuire.

Anybody know who is using 139.150 for air-air? I caught unid traffic on it the past two nights. The only listing I have for this is PAARNG Keystone Ops out at Johnstown/Murtha Airport in western PA.

TinEar

benrussellpa said:
Just got home from my shoulder therapy session....this is my day off, so I'll try to keep an ear to the radio between other tasks.

I turned the scanner on at about 11:40 and had Navy 319 inbound for landing, full stop, at Willow Grove 119.600. He must have been up since I first reported him earlier this morning.

Both Bollen and Warren Grove are active. 237.2 and 283.100

I'm getting A-10's air-air on 142.300 - MDANG? I never seem to catch callsigns on air-air freqs. Don't know which ranger they're working.

143.825 and 139.875 also have some traffic, but a/c are unidentified at this point. The 139 is probably tankers from McGuire.

Anybody know who is using 139.150 for air-air? I caught unid traffic on it the past two nights. The only listing I have for this is PAARNG Keystone Ops out at Johnstown/Murtha Airport in western PA.

Ben, yes, the 142.3 freq is interflight for the MD-ANG. It's their favorite interflight freq and most often used. The 139.15 freq is interflight for the DC-ANG F-16s at Andrews. Both the 139.875 and 143.825 freq seem to be confined to interflight for McGuire tankers and sometimes with their receivers.

Jeff said:
0939: 309.025 - I have a HOT MIC transmission from a SALTY DOG flight at PAX. Interesting to listen to if you have never heard a dedicated HOT MIC
1226: - 123.275 & 254.025 - Have WB509 up with Ground Station called MCE or MCD. Some sort of flight test but can't tell what at this point

Jeff, I wish I had been around to hear that stuff - if possible from here. What was the actual time of that second line you have marked as 1226? It's still about 10 minutes before that time as I type.
I had to post this courtesy of Military.com..........

"Squawks" are problem listings that pilots generally leave for maintenance crews to fix before the next flight. Here are some squawks submitted by US Air Force pilots and the replies from the maintenance crews.

(P)=PROBLEM (S)=SOLUTION

(P) Left inside main tire almost needs replacement
(S) Almost replaced left inside main tire

(P) Test flight OK, except autoland very rough
(S) Autoland not installed on this aircraft

(P) #2 Propeller seeping prop fluid
(S) #2 Propeller seepage normal - #1 #3 and #4 propellers
lack normal seepage

(P) Something loose in cockpit
(S) Something tightened in cockpit

(P) Evidence of leak on right main landing gear
(S) Evidence removed

(P) DME volume unbelievably loud
(S) Volume set to more believable level

(P) Dead bugs on windshield
(S) Live bugs on order

(P) Autopilot in altitude hold mode produces a 200 fpm descent
(S) Cannot reproduce problem on ground

(P) IFF inoperative
(S) IFF always inoperative in OFF mode
(IFF-Identification Friend or Foe)

(P) Friction locks cause throttle levers to stick
(S) That's what they're there for

(P) Number three engine missing
(S) Engine found on right wing after brief search

(P) Aircraft handles funny
(S) Aircraft warned to straighten up, "fly right" and be serious!

(P) Target Radar hums
(S) Reprogrammed Target Radar with the lyrics

Last edited:

CitationJet

It's been just dreadful today...

1711Z 141.550 GRIFFIN CP Andrews - JOSA 843 (C-21A) - reports takeoff time ADW 1708Z.
1711Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - JOSA 843 (C-21A) - deps ADW to FL210 dir GINYA QSY ZDC-Linden 120.650.

1804Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - PAT 572 - deps ADW 1600' for 3000' to 11000' dir FLUKY QSY 121.050.
1808Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - MARINE 928 - deps ADW to 17000' dir LDN QSY 118.675.

1917Z 125.650 Potomac DEP - GERMAN AIR FORCE 259 (A-310) - deps IAD to FL190 dir DAILY QSY ZDC-Calvert 133.900.

2006Z 125.650 Potomac DEP - ARMY 21863 (C-37A 02-1863 OSACOM/PAT Andrews) - deps ADW to 4000' cleared to climb to 9000' then told to hold at 4000' and QSYs 119.300.

Last edited:

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
CitationJet said:
It's been just dreadful today...

1804Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - PAT 572 - deps ADW 1600' for 3000' to 11000' dir FLUKY QSY 121.050.
1808Z 118.950 Potomac DEP - MARINE 928 - deps ADW to 17000' dir LDN QSY 118.675.

I didn't see it listed...so I thought I would make mention...at about 1:15 a CH-53 Super Stallion (unless we have something larger) came blaring down 270 (north to south) doing over 100kts at about 400 ft agl...

My god those things are big!

TinEar

Just a little editorial note here. If you have not yet watched the full audio/video recording of POPOV 35 and 36 - the two A-10s involved in the "friendly fire" incident in 2003 where a British solder was killed near Basra in Iraq, you should do so. Although we have a lot of fun scanning for MilAir and posting our listening adventures, that recording is a stark reminder of what this is really all about and the deadly seriousness of an Air Force pilot's job.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
1836 EST- CADDO 91 cleared to land Rwy 34 at RIC. <257.800>

Can any one confirm this callsign? It's the first time I've heard it. It was pronounced as (KAY-TOE). This is the only callsign I could find that was remotely close except for KATO which I've got listed as T-34's from NAS Kingsville in Texas. Thanks for any confirmations.

Nick

Last edited:

Gemini

1849: 142.25 - Active. Just turned on Radio so no C/S heard as yet.
1853: They are CADES. No C/S up on their freq but hav PAX ADVISORY up with CADES

Tin, that time may have been 1126 then, sri, Had already been up since 4PM yesterday by that point. Was on my last leg

Last edited:

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
md_p97 said:
I didn't see it listed...so I thought I would make mention...at about 1:15 a CH-53 Super Stallion (unless we have something larger) came blaring down 270 (north to south) doing over 100kts at about 400 ft agl...

My god those things are big!

Big AND noisy. I've had a few pass over the house before enroute to Willow Grove. They shake the entire house!

As for the friendly fire video...I saw that last night. A very unfortunate incident, indeed.

What bothers me most is not so much the incident as the stupid comments people make about the video or other military footage online on various sites (i.e. Youtube, Myspace, and related sites). While I may not always support every engagement our military is told to conduct, I do respect and understand the need to keep a military force at the ready.

freqhopping

I've been hoping to pickup an aircraft that I don't know much about. Don't know type or location or where it's going, just that it is involved with the comms I've been hearing on 267.35 FM. It has something to do with SATCOM and HAM. The last I heard he was at 1848 saying he was flying the east leg and heading home. The callsign used is "MONKEY-1" and he talks to "INDIAN HOLE".

Audio clip link

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.