Sticky Thread for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

That's excellent Dan. It makes a world of difference to hook a real antenna to the scanner rather than the little whip that comes with it. If you're getting that kind of result in your basement, you're going to love it when it gets on your roof. Did you get the Diamond?

Chuck, just wait till they've been on station for a little while. They'll loosen up. (Didn't want to go back a page to edit that last post where we had the running conversation.)

Dank

No, my dad gave me a Radio Shack dicone years ago to use w/ my old Pro-34. It was my first scanner back in 1988 or so. Never opend the package until last weekend. How the RS compare to Diamond?

TinEar

All that matters is if you get good results with whatever you're using and it seems you're already on the way to good reception. It's difficult to compare one to another unless they are both up in the same location and you can switch back and forth using the same radio. Besides...the price was right for what you got...free.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Dank, from the traffic I've read, the RS Discone isn't made quite as well as the Diamond. I've heard of a few cases where a good storm did significant damage to it; best to keep that one in the attic, and get the Diamond....

To add to the traffic being heard; in addition to 135.525 and 288.35 (Guard Dog), 228.9 (very busy tonite) and 315.85 add a new one (at least for me) 296.9 Harass flight giving permission to someone to 'drop a 2000lb'. Radiomax recorded several hits here; the last time this freq was noted, it was back in April as a 1st FW frequency.

Also heard was some tracking traffic, not just bombing practice; must be a slow nite in Fallujah....a 2000lb bomb will most certainly wake up the neighbors :D

But not me, the ole eyes are tired (up at 5am)....time to get some Zs

73s Mike

n3bxv

1100 - Harass Flight and Tanker 44 & 45 (still) up this morning, same freqs as last night....

1241 - Angry Flight up on ATC and 127.275 air to air, checking in with baywatch to use airspace for 20 mins.. Ravage-1 Flt now up on ATC.
Ravage to Baywatch as well, interplane 139.35..

1300 Harass 33 flight arrives to replace 31 flight on the CAP, but Tanker 45 has problems disconnecting with Harass 33 and "bans" him from further connects. Harass 33 and 32 RTB to Langley 33 to return with new jet. Harass-34 and 31 remain on station..

[edit] Alan, instead of OX, thing AUX--iliary, I believe its the Auxiliary Radio... I missed Harass 31 going to Andrews, "she who must be obeyed" returned and had something for me to do....

TinEar

Just turned the radio on about 1430 and the first thing I heard was HARASS 31 taking off from Andrews. Don't know why he landed there. Immediately after getting airborne he requested a phone patch back to Langley. The takeoff activity was on 378.10 which is normally SAM Command Post but 31 called Base Ops to contact the controller on that freq. I've heard other aircraft in the past using that freq for "Base Ops" rather than just "Command Post."

Also noticed that on the Langley tac channel - 315.85 - they use callsign OX rather than HARASS. I heard it last night being used between 31/33 and thought it might be a nickname. However, today a different pair of fighters is also using it on that freq. OX is not listed in my names database as being valid for Langley - or anyone for that matter. I guess it could still be simply a nickname if the same pilot is flying a different HARASS number today.

[Edit] 1456 HARASS 33 enters GUARD DOG CAP at flight level 210 on freq 260.9 with HUNTRESS. 31 leaves.
Also have MUSSEL copter working 292.20 - says he is north of Baltimore.
Aberdeen range 248.40 also active.

TinEar

The HARASS fighters were sent after someone in the zone (228.90) to get an ID. They reported it as a Cessna but the landings database doesn't agree with that for the tail number that was reported -- N9196E -- which shows as:

N-number : N9196E
Aircraft Serial Number : 7130C
Aircraft Manufacturer : MAULE
Model : M-5-235C
Engine Manufacturer : LYCOMING
Model : 0-540 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1977

HARASS 34 was the fighter sent out after the violator and used ALERT 01 while he was out of the GUARD DOG mission. There was also a Harrier aircraft alerted and dispatched.

[Edit] By the way, OX is almost definitely a squadron callsign for the F-15s from Langley after hearing several airacraft use it. I've added it to my callsign list as such.

n3bxv

Alan,
I heard the registration as N9619E, which is a Maryland Based Cessna
Which freq did you hear Harrier on?

[edit] I also heard Skeeter/Skater-08 on ATC, just before Tanker-45 rtb'd. So that might be a tie up...
Yep, he fudged the ATC check in "Tanker-08...errrr Skater 08 checking in"
Skater appears to be the 173rd ARS ME ANG from Bangor
{edited to add} - But that doesn't make sense.....173rd ARS looks to be from Lincoln, NE, that's what I get for trusting internet callsign lists.. The 132nd ARS 101st ARW is from Bangor

After hearing it a couple times now I'm 95% sure that it's SKATER..

TinEar

That's the first one I got too Chuck and then he corrected it so maybe the first one he gave was correct after all. If so, you're correct as follows:

N-number : N9619E
Aircraft Serial Number : 18268430
Aircraft Manufacturer : CESSNA
Model : 182R
Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
Model : O-470 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1984
Owner Name : BELL RICHARD
Owner Address : 1702 MONKTON FARMS DR
MONKTON, MD, 21111-2034
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 22-Mar-2004
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

For anyone that doesn't have the landings database address, it's here:
http://www.landings.com/_landings/pages/search/search_nnr.html

[Edit] The Harrier was on 228.90 at the end trying to contact HUNTRESS but he wasn't being heard. HARASS 34 told HUNTRESS he was trying to call him. I don't know which freq he took off/scrambled on - possibly the 165.2375 Customs freq.

[Edit2] SKEETER is a valid callsign that has been used several times in the past for the tankers. They are KC-135s out of Seymour Johnson AFB.

They've referenced the NEADS (NorthEast Air Defense Sector) net several times. Haven't found the freq they're using for that.

ANGRY 1/2/3/4 up from Andrews on 127.275 1625. The HARASS fighters see them. The F-16s are headed to the Kiowa Range. Operating on 237.2 with BALKY (Kiowa Range Controller).

Chuck, the SKATER makes sense too. I've never heard them use it but I have heard tankers in the past ref the fact they were from Bangor ME.

NC3Z

VHF Low Band MilAir comms

Anyone still listen to MilAir on the VHF Low bands (30-88 MHZ FM)? Don't see posts that anyone is catching any activity. I'm still hearing a bit of MD ANG activity.

Today (23 July 2005 1400-1500Z) 34.400 MHz FM was active for about an hour of chatter. This is MD ANG 175th's Ch1. Don't know where they were coming from but they mentioned passing National airport.

They don't use callsigns much here, lots of chit-chat though.

TinEar

I've been assuming for the past year or more that they no longer use that low band. Yours is the first report I've heard of them using it since 2003. Much appreciated Gary. I'll add it to the rotation.

[Edit] The ANGRY flight mentioned they were only going to be at Kiowa for 15 minutes and, indeed, they are already heading home. However, a BULLY flight is on the way to Kiowa now from Andrews. Currently 15 miles south of the range at 1644. At 1647 the ANGRY flight is over Lancaster PA. Anyone between there and Andrews look up.

NC3Z

TinEar said:
I've been assuming for the past year or more that they no longer use that low band. Yours is the first report I've heard of them using it since 2003. Much appreciated Gary. I'll add it to the rotation.

They have been active. Keep these handy for MD ANG:

034.4000,MD ANG 175th Ch1
034.6000,MD ANG 175th Ch2
036.8000,MD ANG 175th Ch3
040.1500,MD ANG 175th Ch4
041.4500,MD ANG 175th Ch5
041.4000,MD ANG 175th Ch6
041.9500,MD ANG 175th Ch7

Other VHF Low freqs are also active for MilAir.

TinEar

Thanks Gary. I had all those freqs on my MD-ANG scan list but removed them from the scanner after going so long without hearing anything. I'm really surprised to hear they're still using them. Other than the 34.40 that you heard today, have you had any other recent use of those low band freqs?

Alan

P.S. That's a neat speed test at your web page. I just used it. It showed 1236 download, 368 upload for me.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Looks like the DC boys were up earlier; Angry callsigns on 127.275 along with the other freqs as noted last nite. Civil Air Patrol 149.5375 also noted up. Busy Saturday....73s Mike

TinEar

See above Mike. Flight of four ANGRYs and four BULLYs 15 minutes apart - Andrews to Kiowa and return...real quick ammo dump. By the way, they were using 239.05 as an ATC freq while up that way - first time I've heard that one (or remember hearing it.) Thanks for the 149 tip. I wasn't monitoring Martin State fire which normally gets blasted by CAP when they fly.

Alan

NC3Z

Alan,

Every once in a while the other freqs are active. Especially when they are doing NVG training at night they use lowband a bit. Just something to keep in the mix.

Yeah that speedtest is from my ISP and I thought it was neat so added it to my website.

TinEar

Sounds like we've got a Northrup Gruman test flight about to take off from BWI on 123.225. He just mentioned he's in the "conga line" taxiing.

[Edit] Interesting conversation among the two F-15 pilots on 315.85 around 1830 about probably scaring the crap out of that Cessna pilot and what he probably thought when those F-15s pulled up next to him.

1837: HARASS 37 checks in on tac freq to let 33 know he's 100 miles south and heading to the area. 34 has a problem with the heading on his HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator) display. It's 120 degrees off even though it's giving him no indication of being broken.

I'm suddenly not so sure of that squadron callsign OX. The latest pilot is making it sound more like HAWKS.

n3bxv

TinEar said:
Sounds like we've got a Northrup Gruman test flight about to take off from BWI on 123.225. He just mentioned he's in the "conga line" taxiing.

I had to knock off monitoring for a while to do some Honey do's, but he flew over my house as I was outside working in the garden... Looked to be N162W http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N162W&distinct_entry=true

[Edit to Add] No, my eyes are not that good! I did some research after I saw this aircraft flying in formation with a biz jet type one day to see who the heck it was.. It's pretty cool to see them fly the approach/depature in formation, there's a pic here of the two aircraft.

After I found the pictures, it's easy to identify 62W by the unique nose configurations.

Alan, did you see my earlier comment about it probably being "AUX" for the Auxiliary Radio?

TinEar

Nope...I missed that edit Chuck. Just went back and saw it. Perhaps you're right. OX--AUX...guess they'd sound just about alike and it would fit for the freq they're using. Good catch.

That N162W would fit for NG since he often refers to himself as 62 or 62W when flying this past week. He must have been low over your house to be able to read his tail number. And that fits nicely in the landings database for Northrup Gruman ownership. Another good catch.

2200: HARASS 37/38 chatting about watching a couple of fireworks displays. Talking about one over a golf course that has been going on for well over half an hour. He mentions how expensive it must be. It must be really neat to watch a display like that from the air.

2218: A call to/from RENEGADE and the fighters on the HUNTRESS 228.90 freq. Callsign doesn't fit anything in the master list.

n3bxv

2300 hour Harass 41 flight assumes CAP....

Seems to be several Washington Center freqs tied together again I heard the departing Harass flight on 288.35, and the controller responding on 360.7 which I can hear fairly well here, so it must be transmitting from BWI..

[EDIT] Harass flight using their 296.9 ops freq as air to air....

Status
Not open for further replies.