Sticky Thread for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

Not much going on tonight - so far. There is a flight of a couple of National Guard helicopters flying over the Aberdeen Range on 248.40 and also using the 246.80 National Guard interplane freq. They are using callsigns RAT and CHARGER. Had an aircraft over the Kiowa Range earlier reporting there was heavy ground fog over the range so it was going to be unusable. In the GIANT KILLER area was BATON 51 (EC-130, SOG PA-ANG, Harrisburg).

TinEar

Flight of two F-16s (GUNNY) off Andrews at 2130. And two RAVAGE F-16s also off. Took off using 127.275 and also used SOF freq 139.90. Checked in with Pax River controller BayWatch on 354.80. Also have a GUPPY aircraft up with a possible Australian (and he's not very good at it) accent. Believe GUPPY is a spoof as part of an exercise. Also have a DARKMAN airborne controller that also sounds like it's a spoof (using an obviously phony accent). My best guess is that the GUNNY flight is going to do the attack and the RAVAGE flight is using the phony accents and taking the part of participating aircraft and controllers. The exercise is taking place on 354.80 with personal comms between GUNNYs on 127.275.. We also now have a MUDHEN 41 aircraft - another spoof. Add STEELY 75 with a poor British accent. And STALONE 71 sounding like an old lady. It would appear all these phony players are just to add traffic and make GUNNY think about lots of interaction while dropping his ordnance.
Broadcasting the exercise on the website.

TinEar

Yeah, that phony Texan accent is hillarious...especially when he told GUNNY to hold on because he was eating his french fried critter.

This latest one (STALONE) talking with DARKMAN is too funny. And the best part is that GUNNY is staying so serious during his attack with all that nonsense going on around him on the channel.

KC2LVC

listening to the audio on your site. haha. yeah, that accent is ridiculous. Is your audio feed always on? I've been looking for a MilAir feed for a while, since I barely ever hear anything up here near NYC lately. But maybe since todays events in London, I will. I'll have to keep listening.

TinEar

Welcome aboard KC2LVC. I only have the feed on during the evening from around 8 or a bit earlier until midnight. We usually have heavy MilAir during the daytime but this week they've been doing night training. Usually I'll have the normal PD/FD traffic on the feed unless I get some MilAir activity and then I'll switch to that. These guys are perhaps getting ready for a rotation to the war zone and they're putting them through their paces - making it as difficult as they can for them.

I don't know what to make of SOULJA (or whatever it is).

n3bxv

Its "Soju" a very vile Korean liquor.. Thus the bad accent.

BTW they're "attacking" Vienna, MD based on the coords and the Google Sat pics.. its right where Rt 50 crosses the river

Added- I've been to Korea once, for 6 days, but unfortunately I know what it is.....

Great Night, I've finally got my radios(,interference) and antennas straightened out and actually was able to follow them all the way in..
Very Cool. Have a good nite.

TinEar

Very good Chuck, thanks...it's what it sounds like but I wasn't familiar with "soju." That's what I get for spending all my time in Europe instead of the Far East. These are all F-16s from Andrews rotating in and out to take the parts we're hearing.

Chuck, on the map I can see the river they've mentioned several times...all of it on lower eastern shore.

[Edit] Our guys are going home at just after 2300. They left "SOJU" (good idea) to play on his/her own.

TinEar

Our guys were "gear down" at 2314 and on the tarmac a minute later.

It just dawned on me who DARKMAN was trying to imitate. It was the Rooster ____ (I forget the rest) Warner Brothers cartoon character that was voiced by Mel Blanc before he died.

We've also had a couple of choppers from the MD National Guard up for the past couple of hours. They're out of Phillips AAF and have been working the Aberdeen ballistic range...same as they did earlier in the evening. They are still on the range now - variously on 126.15/248.4/246.8.

KC2LVC

Does anyone know of any otehr MilAir live feeds online? I'm just trying to get an idea of what's available. Thanks

TinEar

Had A-10s from Martin State and F-16s from Andrews just going home when I tuned in just before noon.
An ANGRY flight of two F-16s just off from Andrews at 1245. Using 127.275 for now. Clearance received from BayWatch (Pax River Ctl) on 354.80 to operate in the zone...continued their work on 127.275. At 1319, after blowing "stuff" up and strafing the remnants, they go again to 354.80 to get a tunnel clearance back to Andrews. At 1327 they report both aircraft are (maintenance status) Code 1 and are five minutes out (from Andrews).
1335 have a BULLY 1 also clearing out of the Pax River area heading home to Andrews. I missed his takeoff, have no idea where he was or what he was doing - and on which freqs he was doing it. The price of taking a smoke break.
MUSSEL 1 & 8 are choppering around the area on 292.20 and various transports are coming and going from Andrews 378.10 and McGuire 319.40. Add National Guard copters with Phillips 126.15 hitting the Aberdeen range.

1415 Flight of F-16s from the VA-ANG up on their Command Post freq of 141.60 using callsigns SLAM 41 & 42. They check in with GIANT KILLER on 238.10 to see if they can enter the zone earlier than planned.

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
Harass 31 just came into the local CAP working with Huntress on 260.9000.

Tanker 41 is setting up for the first fuel run on 135.5200. (?)

Guard Dog providing the clearances on 288.3500

Edit: I am also getting some comms on 141.5500, but they are too weak for me to make out.

Harass plane to plane on 315.8500

TinEar

141.55 SAM Command Post is giving yet another ramp freeze-all stop at 1947. Condi coming home?

The HARASS fighters (and TANKER) are working HUNTRESS on 228.90 now and the ground station is very loud and clear - more so than I've ever heard him.

Wow...these guys sure are chatty on their tac channel...first time I've ever heard girlfriends referred to as "franchises."

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
md_p97 said:
Tanker 41 is setting up for the first fuel run on 135.5200. (?)

Paul, it's not uncommon for controllers to drop the last digit in a frequency, particularly when the freq ends in an even number. They don't realize that correct channel spacing would put this on 135.525 (BWI controllers do this constantly on the a/d freq of 125.525, which they often refer to as '125.52')

You should note that this freq is also used by Washington Center ARTCC with a site in Falls Church Virginia controlling the high sectors. Evidently it's not always used this way, so careful listening is required.

73s Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some targeting practice (?) going on 315.85 with BULLSEYE going on as I type this. Earlier reported freqs of 139.15 and 135.525 clear so far. They just said they are going to 11 o clock local

Thanx to Kev Eiler who tipped me off to this 73s Mike

TinEar

HUNTRESS gave them a target to check out on 228.90 and they were just chatting about it on their tac (315.85) freq...that was the "bullseye." One of them has a bum radar and is relying on the other F-15 to help him to the targets.

I can't believe how well HUNTRESS is being heard tonight...he's as loud as the aircraft.

n3bxv

"Bullseye" is alway a fixed reference point. So you should hear Bullseye, Azimuth, Range when referencing targets.

BULLSEYE : An established reference point from which the position of an aircraft can be determined.

BULLSEYE An established point from which the position of an object can be referenced; made by cardinal/ range or digital format.

Here's a more authoritative source - MULTISERVICE AIR-AIR, AIR-SURFACE, SURFACE-AIR BREVITY CODES

I can also hear HUNTRESS fairly well this evening on 228.9..

I haven't got the antenna up yet, but i have almost every electronic device in the house turned off..

<Added more> I'm still getting something interferring with the Andrews UHF tower freq. The antenna may go in the attic for the near term, but my wife will be happy to see it out of here...

Huntress informing Harass 31 that 33 flight(their replacement) is airborne..

Harass 33/34 on station. This guys aren't as laid back as the first flight.....

TinEar

In reference to the bullseye...you'll hear them always mentioning the BRAA. They aren't getting kinky. Thats Bearing, Range, Altitude, Aspect.
(Yes, I fixed it...was typing what I was hearing on the radio instead of the definition of BRAA.)

So Chuck you can hear Andrews if you're hearing HUNTRESS. Where'd you put that antenna?

[Edit] You're doing very well then if the antenna is still on top of the closet door...lol...wait till you get it outside.

Since I mentioned BRAA above, they've used it several times on the 315.85 tac freq in relation to the position of the tanker (which is now 42 replacing 41).

['Nuther edit] Seems we have two HUNTRESS controllers working the 228.90 freq. The one that talks to the fighters is loud and clear, the one that talks to the tankers can't be heard - at least from here. The one controlling the fighters is no doubt in the Andrews area and no telling where the other is. Home base I believe is Rome NY (Griffis AFB).

Dank

Alan,
Thanks for the info about your discone. I just hooked mine up, in my basement, and I can hear Harass 33 and 34 talking to tanker 42 like they were nextdoor. Can't wait til I get the discone on my roof!
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.