Sticky Thread for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

TinEar

HARASS 41 & 42 are the current pair. Looks like this is going to be another of those 24-hour-a-day area covers for the entire weekend with the center of the Guard Dog area being Camp David

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, it looks like 260.9 and 320.6 will be the players for now...also had some radio checks going on with 'Military' callsigns on 139.975 AM - haven't had anything on that freq for a LONG time. Nothing on there now.

73s Mike

TinEar

The 139.975 freq belongs to the MD-ANG. I know that because that's one of the freqs they transmit their Morse identifier on. It's simply...MDANG.

[Edit] At about 9 p.m., HARASS 41 & 42 were relieved by 43 and 44 who immediately hooked up with TANKER 23, refueled and assumed the CAP duties. TANKER cleared out of the area with "Guard Dog" on 135.25 and got clearance to Milwaukee. No tanker is presently in the Guard Dog patrol area.

TANKER24 arrived in the Guard Dog area at 9:18 and reports to Huntress. Says he'll maintain flight level 240.

TANKER24 is from the 157th Air Refueling Wing, Pease AFB, NH.
HARASS 43 & 44 are from the 1st Fighter Wing, Langley AFB, VA.

Paul, one list I've got shows 288.35 to be the "high" freq in a pair with the Guard Dog freq of 135.25. Those two freqs have double usage. They are both apparently Washington Center freqs that they use for clearance in and out of the area. They are also used for controllers of the Guard Dog area.

I've also got HARASS 43 at about 00:25 on the SAM Command Post freq of 378.10 asking Andrews to make a phone patch back to Langley for him.
He placed the call to the "94th" which seems to identify these guys as belonging to the 94th Fighter Squadron of the 1st Fighter Wing.

TinEar

Saturday night and the Combat Air Patrol is still in place. The current fighter pair is HARASS 37 & 38 (F-15s from Langley AFB, VA). At 9:10 p.m. the tanker aircraft are just rotating, with TANKER 28 leaving and TANKER 29 taking over. He'll fly his track at 25,000 feet. The patrol area is called Guard Dog and the Guard dog area controller is on 135.25 and 288.35, AM mode. The fighters and the tanker are under the direction of the NORAD controller HUNTRESS on 260.9. During refueling they often change to the refueling freq of 320.6. All aircraft freqs operate in AM mode. End of recap.

[Edit] HARASS is using freq 311.0 which is the Command Post freq for Langley AFB.
At 21:25 HARASS 37 is going to refuel with TANKER 29 while flying at 24,000 feet. He announces "Weapons Safe" which makes the tanker crew comfortable.
HARASS 37 reports his tail number as FF 10033. (FF stands for First Fighter Wing)
22:25 HARASS 38 refuels. He takes 11,000 pounds of fuel as did 37. The tail number for HARASS 38 is FF 8-10034.
23:10 HARASS 37 going for gas again. He got about 1 hour 45 minutes of flying time from the last tank full.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I copied this over from the Blues thread, since that event is now closed...
===========
The Blues flew Wednesday as scheduled - I watched them from my Whaler anchored off the Academy seawall. Impressive as ever, but they need to shake up their routine - it's getting too predictable. They did a flyby for today's commencement. I live in the NMC Staduim flightpath, so they screamed over my house and set off the neighbor's car alarms, as usual. In fact, we get a flyby at every Navy home football game, not the Blues, but an interesting assortment of aircraft - EA-6's, F-18's, F-14's, and I think one time there was an S-3.

CA
Annapolis
===========
Ever track down the freqs these flights were using? That might be an interest project in and of itself. I wouldn't doubt that they'd be talking to Potomac/BWI and possibly a couple of ARTCC freqs (including the milair side of the Baltimore SWANN sector on 360.7) but what else? Surely there are more 73s Mike

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
Tin,

You were correct about this being a 24/7 patrol for the weekend....I woke up at 3 am this morning and again at 5am and they were still flying....and sounded like they were kinda bored too....they were playing some kind of game on their computer screens...guess there is not much happening at 20,000 ft at 3 or 4 in the morning.

I missed tonights action, though not sure how, I hear them pretty good out my way...guess I was too busy listening to the World of Outlaws ...They are in Hagerstown tonight.

It does sound like they are working with some rookies, though, as they seem to be discussing things I would think were basic to a seasoned pilot.

TinEar

37 has been around for a bit. He's an LC which means he's got a bunch of service. I think the refueling has been a bit dicey tonight because the tanker reported turbulence at the assigned altitude when he first entered the Guard Dog area.

TinEar

Jet A fuel is 6.84 pounds per gallon.

The first refueling by 37 & 38 from TANKER 29 was 11,000 pounds each or roughly 1608 gallons.
BWI is selling Jet A fuel for $5.03 a gallon as of today. Expensive topoff.

TinEar

00:37 HARASS 38 is going to RTB Langley when HARASS 42 arrives on station...he's on his way. 37 will remain on station until 41 eventually arrives.

HARASS 42 arrives on station and heads for the gas station in the sky for a fill-up at 00:49....takes 2600 pounds. TANKER 29 is still on duty flying the track in the Guard Dog area. This has got to be boring duty for them - flying in circles for hours and hours. At least the fighters occasionally get a call for someone violating the ADIZ even if 99.9% of those turn out to be nothing important.

HARASS 41 clears into the Guard Dog area on 288.35 and then contacts HUNTRESS on 260.9 to announce he's on duty. 41 heads for the tanker to get filled up. 37 reports on 288.35 that he's done with the Guard Dog CAP and is RTB Langley.
41 reports his tail number is FF 83041 (but that sounds wrong). He took 7,000 pounds of fuel from the tanker. 41 corrected his tail number but I missed it.

TinEar

I haven't listened tonight so can't say. I only have on the broadcast scanner tonight and it hasn't run across any activity. All my other scanners are getting a rest tonight.

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
Good morning ladies and gentleman

It appears that todays air protection will be provided by Spider 41 & 42

I have them chatting to each other on 135.5250 (am).

According to the Military Call Sign list compiled by Ron Perron:

SPIDER F-16C/D 421st FS, Hill AFB, UT
SPIDER F-16 425th FS Luke AFB AZ
SPIDER F-16C/D 23rd FS Spangdahlem AB Germany

Huntress can be found on the usual 260.9000.

{EDIT} 1130 - I think I have the Angels working on 143.850 ... I can't make out the call sign, but the pilots keep referring to the Squad leader as "Boss." And I have heard numbers 4, 6 & 7.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Additional; I just got a note via Scan-DC that 139.15, 124.775 and 315.85 are all up with Spider traffic. Those last 2 I haven't seen reported in a LONG time.

[Edit] 124.775 is an ARTCC freq (Cedar Lake Hi/Lo - Va?); the Spiders must have called the center for coordinating through their airspace.

73s Mike

TinEar

Mike, I believe I've identified that "military" traffic you were hearing on 139.975. It's actually the Maryland Army National Guard freq of 139.9625. I was listening to them just a bit ago. I picked them up on 139.975 and then switched to the 139.9625 I had programmed for the Guard and there they were loud and clear. The controller was calling himself "Military 100."

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Of course; my tired old PRO2004 didn't have the proper step size, so .9625 was rounded to .975. In fact, I think I did hear 'Military 100'. Came in real strong even on indoor antennas.

73s Mike

Dank

Over the weekend I heard multiple conversations on this freq. One commen was that he was hanging around the tanker. The conversation continued and it sounded as though he was trying to explain to someone else how to do something. Since I'm new at MilAir I don't know how important this freq is. I later heard the same voice on a freq I have labled as Huntress, I believe in the 140's.
One observation I made this weekend. I live in Laurel and late on Saturday and Sunday afternoon 5-6pm I saw a large plane at a high altitude(above the BWI arrivals I always see) heading east. Could this be a tanker or command plane?

TinEar

I've been listening this morning to some fighter activity (air-to-air intercepts) on a GIANT KILLER freq 373.10. It's a group of four fighters using callsign REST which I don't have on any of my lists. They are operating between 30-35,000 feet so they are easy to hear.

wadeless28

Hey Dank,
I have in my records as that is just an air-air channel. That could be wrong since this information can get dated quickly.

As for the "large plane at a high altitude(above the BWI arrivals I always see) heading east". That could have been a C5 or C17 on approach to Dover AFB. They seem to use BWI (SWANN) as an approach route. From my QTH in Severn, I routinely see them both on approach and departure out of Dover, flying over BWI.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.