Sticky Thread for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dank

It didn't appear as large as a C-5, but perhaps a C-17. Not as long as a C-141 either. Perhaps a KC-10 or KC-135.

Do you have a good list, possible in a text or Excel file for MilAir freqs. I'm trying to get my BC-296 set up with a few banks for these.
Dan

TinEar

md_p97 (Paul), I almost forgot to mention this...the SPIDER aircraft that were up yesterday were F-16s from the North Dakota Air National Guard in Fargo. They deploy regularly to Langley AFB and fly the CAP missions over DC. They maintain an alert detachment at Langley.

They are known as the "Happy Hooligans" of the 178th Fighter Squadron, 119th Fighter Wing.

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Al, I will have to add them to my list...mind if I pass that info on Spider on up to Perron's list? I use it all the time, though I am not sure of its accuracy, it is quite extensive.

Not much to add on my end....did hear Omaha 1 go up early this afternoon(165.2400) and they were trying to locate what frequency Huntress was on...not the usual 260.9000....they were given a frequency to try, but I didn't catch it...i searched 260-280.0000 for about 30 minutes, but never heard anything, or from Omaha again...there wasn't any traffic on 121.5000 either.

TinEar

Paul, I use Ron's list also. It wasn't on the list (the ND SPIDERs) but I know Ron knows it because he's the one that gave that info to me some time ago.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Paul; catching milair activity is very much a catch as catch can deal, unless there's some specific event in progress (the DC air incursions, the Blue Angels in the area ect.) I can say that Tues and Thurs afternoons can be quite productive, particularly if DC ANG is doing any training then. If one were to know such things.... :D

73s Mike

TinEar

The A-10s from Martin State were up earlier. I caught them just coming home when I turned on the radio about 3 this afternoon. They were five minutes from home working with Raven Ops on 347.2.

TinEar

F-16s from the NJ-ANG are up doing intercept training on 138.425.

Unknown fighters chatting on 138.30 (the freq used for chat by PITTMAN when they were doing the DC CAP).

[Edit] The 138.30 chat is the same guys that are on the tactical freq 138.425

cipher66

ARTCC DB Manager
Database Admin
Does anyone have a fairly definative list for Potomac Tracon's sectors/frequencies?

PK

TinEar

Check the database at this site. The airports controlled by Potomac TRACON are BWI, Reagan National, Dulles, Richmond International and Andrews AFB.

They are found under the respective counties in which they are located.
BWI - Anne Arundel County MD
Dulles - Loudon County VA
Reagan National - Arlington County VA
Andrews AFB - Prince George's County MD
Richmond - Richmond County VA

TinEar

I'm not sure what to make of this...
Freq 139.45, which is normally used by the F-16s at Andrews for a TAC freq, is being used by pilots speaking French. I first ran across it at 15:25 and it is ongoing at 15:33.....15:38 still going. The only transmission I've managed to pick out of it is an altitude of 33,000 feet and a few common phrases...and now they mentioned freq 327.125 at 15:41 (I could hear nothing on that freq - or I was just too late getting there after programming it.) Back on 139.45 at 15:44. Last transmission heard from them at 15:45

New Item:
Zombie boss from the Blue Angels is up on 284.25 giving his voice cues to the flight at 15:47.....still up 15:52

md_p97

Premium Subscriber
Afternoon Al,

I haven't heard anything from any of the three freq's all day....just the routing helo traffic around the beltway. I did hear a one time transmission on 281.xxxx a while ago, but other than that its been pretty quiet.

Paul

TinEar

We also had the A-10s out of Martin State up a bit earlier. They went up to the Kiowa Range and did their thing. Callsign BALKY was also up on the Kiowa freq 237.2.

Steady traffic on the SAM Command Post freqs with JOSA, REACH, DEECEE and PACER aircraft.

I was really shocked to hear the Blue Angels. I wonder where they're performing today? Transmissions were very weak.

[Edit] Answered my own question. Blue Angels, according to their site, performed May 28/29 at Willow Grove and their next show is June 4 at McGuire AFB - all of which means they are still in this part of the country.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Good catch hearing the BA from so far away; I've been working a little bit with the Phillyscanner and NJ folks to get the BA freqs out there (the ones we found, along with the ones MT had published). Maybe a little tropo involved there, too.....73s Mike

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I caught what sounded like French also on 327.1250 Atlantic City appch said they were at 10,000 feet 3 miles from the field.
Callsign sounded like Loscow 10 and later heard flight of 4.
Not sure if they landed there.No foreign fighters scheduled for McGuire show this weekend so could be those 4 Mirage 2000's that were down at Barksdale La in mid-May and working there way back home.

Mark

TinEar

Good report Mark. I was struggling with their French and almost didn't believe I actually heard the reference to 327.125. Nice to have it confirmed.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
French aircraft mystery solved!!

Philadelphia TV news ch 6 reporting that 9 French fighters and one other landed Atlantic City due to shortage of fuel as they couldn't make it back to their carrier off the East Coast somewhere.
Pilot's credit card is no good so French embassy being called to wire some money.....OUCH!
Video showed some of the fighters lined up on tarmac.
Also mentioned they will be at McGuire for airshow but i see no mention at Mcguire show website.Maybe a last minute addition...

Good catch guys!

Mark

Premium Subscriber
From a Milcom friend in Europe comes this e-mail...

Probably Super Etendards from the French aircraft carrier "Charles de
Gaulle" that is presently visiting the US east coast. Callsign probably
LACSARD, which they use here in Europe as well. Air-to-air frequencies
for these guys are <137.900>, <138.850> and <139.45>.

TinEar

Nice job Mark. Sounds like a French military operation. I checked that callsign "LACSARD" but it doesn't translate from French to English and the French dictionary shows nothing close to it.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Soory about the mispelling as it should read LASCARD.Sounded like LosCow on radio but I know nothing about French language.
Nice to have those guys visit though!
Guess they were dodging bad weather coming from the South and ran short of fuel.Who knows maybe as Carrier moves closer we could snag some more coms.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.