TGID Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

douglasphansen

Premium Subscriber
Hello all -

Made a few steps in progress as far as programming. Right now I'm utilizing the Freescan software.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to block specific TGID's from a specific site? The problem I'm running into is this: I'm creating a system that contains 1 site. That one site broadcasts about 20 different PD's. My goal is to make several copies of the system, and in each subsequent copy, block all of the PD's/TGIDS I don't want to listen to and just leave 1 or 2 PD's per channel. Is there a simpler way of accomplishing this?
2. If I didn't import the site from Freescan and entered the site manually, would I 1) only enter the control frequency or all frequencies listed for that site? 2) would I still pick up all traffic on that site or only the TGID's I entered?

Thank you all who replied to my last. As I said, very new to this.

Best -

Doug

marksmith

If you search, that is when you get all TGIDs. If you scan you only get the TGIDs you enter.

You could put them in duplicated systems but this will take longer to scan. Most efficient to put in 1 system. Putting in a few different systems to simplify selection is reasonable though.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

douglasphansen

Premium Subscriber
If you search, that is when you get all TGIDs. If you scan you only get the TGIDs you enter.

You could put them in duplicated systems but this will take longer to scan. Most efficient to put in 1 system. Putting in a few different systems to simplify selection is reasonable though.

Ok.

I just manually entered a site with the control channel and all other frequencies as well as a group with several TGID's. Just to confirm - I'd need to switch the site to scan and that's it? Would I need to make use of the priority scan feature?

Thanks.

Doug

JamesO

There are few options you need to be aware of.

ID Search - Will stop on and display any and all active TG's that are picked up on a Trunked system while in Seach mode. If the TG are entered into the scanner with a description, usually the description rather than the TG will be displayed. Example City PD Dispatch 1 vs ID 1021. This may even pick up Private Calls or mobile unit to mobile unit direct communication. This feature is often used for finding new TG's or communications that are not programmed in a Department/Scan List.

ID Scan - Will only stop on and display TG's that are specifically programmed in Department/Scan List. This should ONLY pick up traffic you have designated you want to monitor.

ID Scan with ID Search - Many scanners offer a hybrid mode where the radio can Scan and Search at the same time depending on how the scanner is programmed. In this mode you will be able to monitor designated traffic you programmed to scan and Search for traffic either in the same Trunked system or 1 or more other trunked systems.

Priority Scan - On Trunk systems this allows any TG that has been designated as a "Priority" TG by the system administrator to be checked and monitored as a Priority TG.

I believe I have outlined these as correct, but if I have anything wrong, I am sure others will drop in and correct or add to what I have outlined.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You want to use ID SCAN if you want the scanner to "listen" just those programmed talkgroups. ID SEARCH "listens" to every talkgroup (unless you lock out the talkgroup once it "hears" it.)

ID SEARCH is just what it says: it is a search function used to discover new talkgroups that may not be listed in the database.

But since you know what you want to scan, ID SCAN is the choice.

When you programmed your system, FreeScan turned on ID SEARCH by default.

Priority ID Scanning is applicable to your scanner for the EDACS system. However trunked system priority is different than conventional systems. On conventional, active transmissions are interupted to check for priority channel activity. Except for a very specific of circumstances (not applicable to EDACS), interuption doesn't happen.

From the Uniden 396 Complete Reference Manual:

PRIORITY ID SCAN
Refer to Set Priority to set Priority Channels. Refer to Priority ID Scan for activation of

Priority ID Scan works in ID Scan/Search Mode or ID Scan/Search Hold Mode when the Priority ID Scan setting is on.

This works on Motorola and EDACS (Wide, Narrow), LTR, and P25 Standard systems.

This function is very similar to conventional priority although there is no “interrupt” during the transmission. Priorities are checked in between transmissions, when the scanner is receiving the control channel, as during the channel delay period.

marksmith

Ok.

I just manually entered a site with the control channel and all other frequencies as well as a group with several TGID's. Just to confirm - I'd need to switch the site to scan and that's it? Would I need to make use of the priority scan feature?

Thanks.

Doug
If you are dealing with trunked sustems, I would forget about priority scanning. It generally doesn't do what you want anyway unless you are really interested in a single specific talkgroup.

If you enter as multiple systems, priority won't work for you anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.