The Official Thread: Live audio feeds, scanners, and... wait for it.. ENCRYPTION!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You 100% sure about that, how does the system adjust if a key header is errored out?

Same thing that happens if the header is boogered up on a non-encrypted channel. If the data isn't there, it's not going to work.

And it's not a coverage thing, it's a BER thing.
If this was such a big concern, agencies would be aligning radios at regular intervals. Individuals would not be permitted to screw around with programming. Privately owned radios wouldn't be allowed. The mess with RF BDA's would be addressed. End users wouldn't be permitted to replace the standard antennas with the "cute" short antennas. End users would actually get training on how to use the radio. Fire ground would be analog.

And if it's a radio tech that knows their crap, they'll set up the emergency alert to go out on a non-encrypted channel.

Truth is, encryption does NOT impact coverage. Digital systems are all 1's and 0's. The RF doesn't care what order those 1's and 0's (or was it 0's and 1's?) are in.

Larry-G

You 100% sure about that, how does the system adjust if a key header is errored out? lets say we have an officer shot or a firefighter down and he has one chance to transmit in an emergency situation, to get one word out, are you 150% sure it would make it? would you 150% trust YOUR life to that situation?

I mean even Motorola cant make firmware properly at this point
I am and I do trust encrypted radio comms with my life daily in my work. I don’t however scaremonger about encryption.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I am and I do trust encrypted radio comms with my life daily in my work. I don’t however scaremonger about encryption.
we will have to agree to disagree then, all it takes in one life over an idotic political decision, I do say MMckenna's observations are more sound and make more sense. that being said I wouldn't ever expect Pro Encryption people to give and inch just as they shouldn't expect Anti Encryption folks to go away, you can say its scaremongering all you like, but the truth is the truth, you people encrypt and basically say screw you to anyone who voices any concern about safety or transparency, I'm thinking you guys are just mad that it hasn't gone away.
if any scaremongering is going on its the side that say ooooohh the bad scanner listers are jeopardizing public safety, we cant have the media listening in, we live in a world where confidence in law enforcement is at an all time low and their answer is to basically close off all access to avoid criticism, I worked in public safety for many years, I can smell that BS a long way off.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I do say MMckenna's observations are more sound and make more sense. that being said I wouldn't ever expect Pro Encryption people to give and inch just as they shouldn't expect Anti Encryption folks to go away, you can say its scaremongering all you like, but the truth is the truth, you people encrypt and basically say screw you to anyone who voices any concern about safety or transparency, I'm thinking you guys are just mad that it hasn't gone away.

You are skipping over huge swaths of facts here in your race to get to the conclusion.

Encryption has its place. Encrypting any information that doesn't belong in the public domain is a good plan and it's a requirement that has been a law for a very long time.

When public safety agencies transmit information in the clear, there is no control over who can intercept it. Assumptions that all scanner hobbyists are "good guys" and will do the right thing glosses over the realities.
As a radio guy, I'm not "pro-encryption". I'm "pro-keeping-my-flippin-job". If the people paying the bills say encrypt, I encrypt. If the chief of police says encrypt, I encrypt the hell out of it. I'm for encryption when it's used properly. I'm realistic about knowing whats flying around in the ether and what sort of low life scum have access to scanners or online streaming services. I also understand what the legal requirements are about this stuff. Most hobbyists are quick to gloss over that because it's not an easy argument they think they can win.

Encryption does not mean there is no transparency. Encryption means that scanner listeners don't get immediate gratification. Encryption means that information the public has no right to access (PII/CJI) isn't freely blasted out from antennas conveniently placed around town for their listening pleasure.
Anyone can file a freedom of information request. It just takes a little bit of work. If "transparency" is what people are concerned about, I'd expect to see a lot more requests for recordings. Yet, we don't. That's because a lot of the people that complain about encryption, their rights, safety, and transparency, are not truly concerned about those things. They are concerned about their entertainment and how they can benefit from public safety radio traffic. It would be awesomely refreshing to see people be honest about that. Most of us that work in the industry can see right through 99% of these anti-encryption arguments. They are thinly disguised complaints because they don't like they way things are.

The lack of immediate gratification is what chaps the hides of most people. Times have changed, the ability and need to encrypt is a reality, like it or not.

If by "safety" you are referring to interoperability or the capability for one agency to listen to another, well, that's not an encryption issue. That's a cooperation issue. There are a lot of agencies out there that cannot cooperate with other agencies. That's a leadership issue within the individual agencies. That will be a problem no matter what. Encryption or not, bad leadership in an agency is going to be a big problem.

if any scaremongering is going on its the side that say ooooohh the bad scanner listers are jeopardizing public safety, we cant have the media listening in, we live in a world where confidence in law enforcement is at an all time low and their answer is to basically close off all access to avoid criticism, I worked in public safety for many years, I can smell that BS a long way off.

All things that are easily handled through FOIA requests. The large news agencies use those tools to gather their information, get their leads and work on from there. You won't find most news agencies utilizing scanners for that sort of stuff, that's because they know that's not where they are going to get the good stuff.

If scanner listeners really think that their hobby is somehow protecting society, well, I've got news for you guys: The stuff you claim to be protecting us from doesn't happen over the radio. It happens in dark parking lots, over private cell phones, after hours, over coffee, on weekends. Encryption or not, that stuff is still going to happen.

Larry-G

we will have to agree to disagree then, all it takes in one life over an idotic political decision, I do say MMckenna's observations are more sound and make more sense. that being said I wouldn't ever expect Pro Encryption people to give and inch just as they shouldn't expect Anti Encryption folks to go away, you can say its scaremongering all you like, but the truth is the truth, you people encrypt and basically say screw you to anyone who voices any concern about safety or transparency, I'm thinking you guys are just mad that it hasn't gone away.

I never said I was pro encryption, nor am I anti encryption.

I am a scanner user my self and I am against people who scaremonger against encryption sprouting crap about public safety and lower transmit / receive ranges while encrypted. That’s just false.

Yes I use encrypted radios daily in my work, I didn’t mandate that they were provided by my employer.

I also live in a country where all our blue light services are and have been heavily encrypted for over 20 years that doesn't mean our police are out there killing civilians every day and abusing their powers more than they ever did. Again more scaremongering

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Again we will have to agree to disagree, there must be some traction in the distaste of encryption, because even though they rarely get past committee there have been pushes against it, and will continue to be.

I'll be honest do scanner hobbyists protect society, most likely not, however the great part of living in this country is the ability to fight something legally no matter how absurd the opposition thinks it is, stranger things have happened.

I mean even if we remain at just an irritation level to the powers that be, its great because we can, and I remain a firm believer that any chance anyone can legally challenge it should seize and exploit that opportunity either by endless legal challenges or by changing the law. whether the Pro Encryption crowd likes it or not, and if it chaps their butts all the better. irritating extremely arrogant people is quite amusing actually.

I stand by my statements

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Again we will have to agree to disagree, there must be some traction in the distaste of encryption, because even though they rarely get past committee there have been pushes against it, and will continue to be.

It doesn't take much to get something to a senate bill. Getting it all the way through the system is the challenge. The last attempt at this died in California because there were a lot more people against it than for it.
Scanner hobbyists don't have the clout to get this through on their own. They'll need help. Trouble is, finding that help. Like I said, news media knows how to get their stories, and a scanner isn't it. Scanners are great for reporting on traffic conditions, but that's about it.

I'll be honest do scanner hobbyists protect society, most likely not, however the great part of living in this country is the ability to fight something legally no matter how absurd the opposition thinks it is, stranger things have happened.

And I'd encourage that. That's the way the system is supposed to work.
But for those looking at it with their reality glasses on, it's Quixotic.
It's fun to watch, and it means society and our systems are still working as intended. But ultimately, I think people are going to get tired of fighting it. Remember, there are a lot of good reasons for encryption, and scanner listeners don't really have a good argument against it.
But, hey, keep trying, maybe you'll get lucky.

I mean even if we remain at just an irritation level to the powers that be, its great because we can, and I remain a firm believer that any chance anyone can legally challenge it should seize and exploit that opportunity either by endless legal challenges or by changing the law. whether the Pro Encryption crowd likes it or not, and if it chaps their butts all the better. irritating extremely arrogant people is quite amusing actually.

I stand by my statements

Doesn't chap my butt at all. Encryption stays until Chief says otherwise. Doesn't matter to me what happens in the various houses of government. I don't need to fight anything, I just work and get my paycheck.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't take much to get something to a senate bill. Getting it all the way through the system is the challenge. The last attempt at this died in California because there were a lot more people against it than for it.
Scanner hobbyists don't have the clout to get this through on their own. They'll need help. Trouble is, finding that help. Like I said, news media knows how to get their stories, and a scanner isn't it. Scanners are great for reporting on traffic conditions, but that's about it.

And I'd encourage that. That's the way the system is supposed to work.
But for those looking at it with their reality glasses on, it's Quixotic.
It's fun to watch, and it means society and our systems are still working as intended. But ultimately, I think people are going to get tired of fighting it. Remember, there are a lot of good reasons for encryption, and scanner listeners don't really have a good argument against it.
But, hey, keep trying, maybe you'll get lucky.

Doesn't chap my butt at all. Encryption stays until Chief says otherwise. Doesn't matter to me what happens in the various houses of government. I don't need to fight anything, I just work and get my paycheck.

I appreciate your responses as always mmckenna, we may disagree but at least when we debate its respectful

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I appreciate your responses as always mmckenna, we may disagree but at least when we debate its respectful

I try.

Healthy debate is a good thing. Unfortunately there is a lot of unhealthy debate on this subject.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I try.

Healthy debate is a good thing. Unfortunately there is a lot of unhealthy debate on this subject.
completely understand, I think its just both sides are passionate pretty much like everything else that goes on. most of my views shape from observing how the issue is handled across the country, and unfortunately it is very politically motivated, my experience is also based on meeting relayed to me with a certain Former Chief who is a member of congress and running against rubio in the senate, when that department threw the switch, she had a meeting in which she demonstrated no real knowledge on the subject, basically telling everyone "the train had left the station" they had promised regular updates on situations via the PIO, they did offer a live cad screen (redacted which isn't a huge issue if any) now I worked with these departments on a daily basis, so for me this fight is not so much that im mad I cant listen its more of the smell you can detect under it, and in a lot of places there is a smell.

Same thing where I am now in Summit County, OH - I am not in Akron and I understand exactly why they encrypted that area and it was for good reason, however we get to the point that now Akron PD is under a ton of scrutiny from the community, No one is accusing Akron of being corrupt, but it seems like a lot of you guys lock down harder when any pressure is applied.

FOIA is a great tool, but I think the reason its not pursued is more that even with FOIA information can be redacted and there is no independent review of what information is being redacted, I've done my fair share of pulling tapes in the day.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
completely understand, I think its just both sides are passionate pretty much like everything else that goes on. most of my views shape from observing how the issue is handled across the country, and unfortunately it is very politically motivated,

Seems like political motivation is to blame for a lot of issues.
However, while it may be a reality in some locations, it's not the driver everywhere. In California, the requirement to protect PII/CJI info at all times and in all forms has been on the books for a very long time. The requirements were written into the agreements for agencies to access those databases. Most agencies ignored it. State DOJ started reminding agencies that they'd all signed agreements to follow the terms of the contract. With a increase in cyber crime worldwide, it's a good time to start enforcing these requirements.
Remember, it's not something new, it's something that has been on the books for a long time.
And the California standards very closely model the FBI/Federal DOJ standards. Eventually FBI/DOJ is going to do the same thing since all these state CJI databases link into the federal databases.

my experience is also based on meeting relayed to me with a certain Former Chief who is a member of congress and running against rubio in the senate,

Well, you make it sound like you are getting this information third hand. That's can be like playing a game of telephone. Not always a good basis for an argument.
I'm not trying to discount what you are saying, I believe you. What I'm pointing out is that many of the arguments on this subject are based off hearsay, rumor, or generally a misunderstanding on how these radio systems work. There are more than a few of us on this site that do this stuff for a living and have firsthand knowledge of how it all works. We're not trying to gloat, we're trying to provide some real world knowledge for the hobbyists. Hopefully some are willing to accept that real world experience. None of us can force that to happen, however.

when that department threw the switch, she had a meeting in which she demonstrated no real knowledge on the subject,

That is not uncommon. Not uncommon at all.
Important thing to remember is:
A police chief is a police officer that has worked their way up through the ranks. They are first and foremost a police officer. They may very well have HR skills, management skills, maybe even some IT and/or radio skills.
Same with a fire chief. Fire fighter works their way up. Along the way they may learn enough about radio to be fairly knowledgeable.

Rarely does that position make them a subject matter expert on communications. They essentially (sometimes) know enough to manage and direct. They very rarely have the knowledge to actually implement or manage these complex radio systems. On the other hand, some make it all the way up to the top without knowing which end of the radio to talk into and how not to poke their own eye out with the antenna.

Nothing wrong with that. No way they can effectively run a department -AND- be an expert on everything. A good manager/chief/director will rely on their staff to be the SME's. I'd honestly worry about any chief that claimed to be an expert on everything. That's usually a red flag indicating some other issues.

Do some of these chief positions get filled via political means? Absolutely. Not everywhere, but it does happen.

basically telling everyone "the train had left the station" they had promised regular updates on situations via the PIO,

I know some will hate to hear this, but there's times when that has to happen.
Discussions can go on forever, and as you, yourself said, "exploit the opportunity". That can go on forever and no progress ever gets made.
It is important to understand that there are legal requirements for protecting PII/CJI. People can try to tie that up in public discussion forever, but eventually the right thing has to be done. There are often external drivers that not everyone will pay attention to, and a good director/manager/chief will have to draw the line somewhere.
Doesn't mean that discussions cannot happen, it just means that the world needs to keep turning and what needs to be done gets done.
If we left things up to a permanent cycle of ongoing discussions, we'd never get anywhere. There are always those that will exploit the opportunity to discuss things to death and hold up progress for their own enjoyment or needs.

they did offer a live cad screen (redacted which isn't a huge issue if any)

And that's a pretty damn good solution.
I get it, scanner users want to keep their investments.
But, look at it from an agency standpoint:
1. Laws/rules/agreements require protecting CJI/PII. That isn't up for discussion anymore. If someone cannot understand the need for that, then there's really no point in having discussions with them. They just don't get it and no amount of talking will change things.
2. Catering to a small group of hobbyists is expensive, complex and not a good investment of taxpayer funds. Not -scanner hobbyist- funds, TAXPAYER funds. That's everyone, not just a small subset of the population.
3. CAD feeds serve a larger portion of the population. Doesn't require a scanner. Doesn't require membership in a website. Doesn't require technical knowledge. As of last year, 85% of all Americans 18 or older own a smartphone. Mobile Fact Sheet That means that 85% of the population could benefit from a CAD feed. That is a much better investment of taxpayer funds. It benefits more people. It also allows agencies to meet the rules/laws/mandates/contracts, etc.

now I worked with these departments on a daily basis, so for me this fight is not so much that im mad I cant listen its more of the smell you can detect under it, and in a lot of places there is a smell.

Your experience. Not everyone's experience.
And while there may be a pungent stink emanating from the nether regions of your local agencies, that doesn't mean it's the same everywhere.
Your statement suggest that the only reason encryption is used is to hide nefarious doings. That ignores the CJI/PII rules that are a documented requirement.

Remember, if all radio traffic is in the clear, the people who do the underhanded sneaky things will just use other secure means of communications. And there's plenty of them. Leaving public safety traffic in the clear isn't going to prevent this.

Same thing where I am now in Summit County, OH - I am not in Akron and I understand exactly why they encrypted that area and it was for good reason, however we get to the point that now Akron PD is under a ton of scrutiny from the community, No one is accusing Akron of being corrupt, but it seems like a lot of you guys lock down harder when any pressure is applied.

I have no idea whats going on it Akron. May be sneaky stuff. May just be doing what everyone else is doing.

FOIA is a great tool, but I think the reason its not pursued is more that even with FOIA information can be redacted and there is no independent review of what information is being redacted, I've done my fair share of pulling tapes in the day.

Remember, scanner listeners are not the one wall between us and them.
Keeping radio traffic in the clear isn't going to prevent bad stuff. More than anything, it's giving people a false sense of security that they are aware of -everything- that is going on.
There are absolutely a lot of things wrong with some public safety agencies, and that needs to be rooted out. Scanners are not the tool that is going to do that.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Akron encrypted because some geniuses decided to put radios on the system, currently they are enjoying time at the Graybar hotel

Honestly we aren't really going to solve this issue in this forum ultimately, Laws can be changed depending on how the popular winds blow,
it's as good as any fight to have at the moment, I've never been a person to accept the argument of it is how the system works so just accept it.
like they say Time and Pressure can move mountains, just need enough time and the right amount of pressure.
and ill be honest, there is no way not any that I can be convinced that blanket encryption of everything isn't sinister, yes CJI/PII I get that, but not everyone agrees with California in most issues.

No one ever said that a scanner was the only tool in the arsenal, or the one wall.

my third party on that was a recording of the meeting provided to me, and direct discussions. not 3rd party

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I try.

Those 10 commandments of rational debate are also referenced from our own forum rules section:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Akron encrypted because some geniuses decided to put radios on the system, currently they are enjoying time at the Graybar hotel

Locally that is one of the drivers. Thanks to freely available information and a flood of $15 Chinese radios, some locals have assumed that means they have free access to various county radio systems. During a large brushfire a few years ago, some felt the need to "help" fire fighters by getting on the radio system.
Not unlike our "comm tech" from Idaho that felt he was part of the team...
None the less, local fire agencies have decide they can't have random people getting on their radio system, so carefully controlled trunking and encryption are on the way.
All it takes is for someone to leave the bag of idiots open and add in the catalyst of cheap radios….

Honestly we aren't really going to solve this issue in this forum ultimately, Laws can be changed depending on how the popular winds blow,
it's as good as any fight to have at the moment, I've never been a person to accept the argument of it is how the system works so just accept it.
like they say Time and Pressure can move mountains, just need enough time and the right amount of pressure.

Those are all good things. More people should do that.
But, keep in mind, a small handful of the population has scanners. All of us have PII. Some have CJI.
The decision won't be made to benefit a few at the possible detriment to others.

and ill be honest, there is no way not any that I can be convinced that blanket encryption of everything isn't sinister, yes CJI/PII I get that, but not everyone agrees with California in most issues.

And that's OK.
But, remember, it's not California that's driving this.
The rules regarding access to these information systems exist almost verbatim at the federal level. All the criminal justice data systems I know of tie into federal systems for sharing of data. While California may be the first to go this route, eventually some other states will follow as will the feds. It's already established. What is pending is the enforcement.

my third party on that was a recording of the meeting provided to me, and direct discussions. not 3rd party

Thanks for the clarification.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Those 10 commandments of rational debate are also referenced from our own forum rules section:

Where do you think I stole the link from?

We had some really bad management at work for a while. Once they were run out of town on a rail, those rules of debate were one of the many tools that were used to get things settled down again.

hitechRadio

One other advantage to encryption that I have noticed over the years, that is seldom mentioned. Only because you have to be on the inside to notice the difference.
It allows Officers speak clearly and in much detail on things, that normally they may hold back if transmitting in the clear. Info that in the past may have been sent over MDT, is now over the air.
Information is more detailed encrypted, vs. agencies that have not encrypted. Especially an agency that has been fully encrypted for a long time.
This helps them perform the job easier and safer.

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
One other advantage to encryption that I have noticed over the years, that is seldom mentioned. Only because you have to be on the inside to notice the difference.
It allows Officers speak clearly and in much detail on things, that normally they may hold back if transmitting in the clear. Info that in the past may have been sent over MDT, is now over the air.
Information is more detailed encrypted, vs. agencies that have not encrypted. Especially an agency that has been fully encrypted for a long time.
This helps them perform the job easier and safer.
Good Feature, However a very bad habit if Talking about OPSEC, this was discussed during a training video for PHX Sky Harbor, Yes the transmissions are encrypted but still subject to FOIA, I mean the whole point of Encryption is to add a level of OPSEC not available when broadcast in the clear, just because it can be said over the air doesn't mean it should.

As a newbie, I have some questions that may have been answered before, but here goes:

1) Aren't the airwaves public? Don't tax dollars pay for these radio systems? Don't the tax payers have a say as to whether or not the information is encrypted?
2) If the communications are being encrypted, how the heck are the people running the Internet feeds getting it to work? Are they getting the encryption keys somehow? I live in Beaverton, OR and I can't pick up Beaverton police on my new Uniden scanner - but Broadcastify is streaming a Beaverton police feed. How are they doing that?

Anyway, this is a bummer. I just bought a new scanner and it's pretty much useless because of encryption. Looks like this once fun hobby will die out.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As a newbie, I have some questions that may have been answered before, but here goes:

1) Aren't the airwaves public? Don't tax dollars pay for these radio systems? Don't the tax payers have a say as to whether or not the information is encrypted?

A good question.
The RF spectrum is a public resource. The FCC is -supposed- to manage it for the benefit of all people.
That doesn't translate into the public having access to all traffic that's carried over it.
Case in point:
Your cell phone uses the RF spectrum. Your phone calls, internet usage and text messages are encrypted. Should we all have access to read/listen to those for our own entertainment?

Yes, tax payer dollars pay for these public safety radio systems. Taxpayers don't have direct say over what happens on them. They may have the ability to vote the local Sheriff in or out of office, but that doesn't necessarily mean that will impact encryption.
Your taxpayer dollars pay for the vehicles, that doesn't mean you can go down and borrow a police car for the day.
My taxpayers pay for some really cool toys, the government isn't going to let me show up and just check them out for the day.
Your taxpayer dollars pay for the phones in the police station, doesn't mean you get to listen in on all the phone calls.

Keep in mind that the radio encryption is required in most cases to protect Personal Identifying Information and Criminal Justice Information. That data is protected and is not supposed to be transiting any networks without being encrypted.

2) If the communications are being encrypted, how the heck are the people running the Internet feeds getting it to work? Are they getting the encryption keys somehow? I live in Beaverton, OR and I can't pick up Beaverton police on my new Uniden scanner - but Broadcastify is streaming a Beaverton police feed. How are they doing that?

A couple of ways:
-Not all radio traffic is encrypted.
-Some agencies will choose to stream radio traffic on their own.
-Sometimes radios with encryption keys get into the wrong hands and can be used incorrectly. <— usually doesn't last very long.

There may be something wrong with your scanner or how it's programmed.

Anyway, this is a bummer. I just bought a new scanner and it's pretty much useless because of encryption. Looks like this once fun hobby will die out.

How you react to this is your own choice.
But, none of this is new, and the encryption thing has been going on for quite a while.
There's still plenty of radio traffic to listen to. You may not have access to encrypted traffic, but there are plenty of things you do have access to.
You can choose to sell the radio and get out of the hobby, or you can start looking for other areas of interest.